Ammunition that local LEOs use?

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

MeanStreaker
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Ammunition that local LEOs use?

Post by MeanStreaker »

I've seen a lot of good advice to the effect of "try to find out what ammunition your local LEOs use so that you can do the same and defend your SD choice in court if you ever have to." I don't personally know any LEOs and have only lived in the Dayton area for less than a year. Any suggestions on how to find out this information without offending anyone?
CincinnastyKid
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by CincinnastyKid »

Asking a police officer in the Dayton area I know if he knows what they carry there. I will let you know what I find out.

-Kid
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the war room!"
randy

Post by randy »

At one time (about 10 years ago) Moraine PD was using Federal Hydra-Shoks. Don't have anything more current than that.
Randy, NRA Life member, OFCC Member
911: When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.
Mark J

Post by Mark J »

A very large city PD in central Ohio issues .45 Federal Hydrashok, 9mm Speer Gold Dot, and I'm not sure what in .38 since I don't own a wheel gun. Certain .380 is allowed, and must be bought by the officer. I use Hydrashok for that. I think Winchester Ranger is allowed in .380.

Our results with .45 Hydrashok have been less than stellar, despite its reputation. For a little while, we were issued .45 Gold Dots, but some of the older pistols had some function issues with it and we went back to Hydrashok.
Honor, courage, commitment

"Another positive citizen contact"
Buckshot

Post by Buckshot »

Ammo type is usually public record as they usually buy it by bid.

Ask the administrative section of your local PD or SO and they should be able to tell you.

If they won't tell you for some reason then ask your city council or county commissioners.

This should not be a major operation to deterimne the current issue ammo.

NOTE: The ammo type may well change with each bid which may be every 6 months or once a year.

Buckshot
Daniel
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Daniel »

All I can say, is good luck!

Over a year ago, I wrote to every department in my area, as well as several sheriffs and the Highway Patrol. I think I sent out over 30 letters.

ONE department gave me the info. Two others said it was coming, but it never did.

I suppose if you know someone, or have a more reasonable department, or push the issue hard you might get it.
Daniel White
NRA Training Counselor
Northcoast Firearms Training

We must carry arms because we value our lives and those of our loved ones, because we will not be dealt with by force or threat of force, and do not live at the pleasure and discretion of the lawless. - Jeff Snyder
ampleworks

Post by ampleworks »

General consensus from what I've found is its a mix between Hydrashocks and GoldDots. Some use the Winchester Ranger-Ts (which is what I prefer).

The bullet design of the Ranger-Ts is just superior to the others in my opinion.
CincinnastyKid
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by CincinnastyKid »

My friend that is a police officer for Centerville which is outside of Dayton said:

"I believe the carry GoldDot, but I'll check just to be sure. We carry Federal HydraShocks."

-Kid
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the war room!"
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

Cable wrote:Over a year ago, I wrote to every department in my area, as well as several sheriffs and the Highway Patrol. I think I sent out over 30 letters.

ONE department gave me the info. Two others said it was coming, but it never did.

I suppose if you know someone, or have a more reasonable department, or push the issue hard you might get it.
I tried getting an official answer through the regular channels to see what the Toledo Police carry. I got zip.

Then I called up the Range Officer there and asked what they used. He had no hesitation at all. He told me that the Toledo Police used Ranger SXT's. That was a year or so ago.
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
MeanStreaker
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MeanStreaker »

Thanks for all the replies. Interesting....