Opinions wanted: .357 vs .44

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Daniel
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Opinions wanted: .357 vs .44

Post by Daniel »

I'm in the market for a revolver. I'm trying to decide between the .357 magnum and the .44 magnum (.44 special is not offered in the model I want, so is not an option).

My dilemma is that I want it to be equally suited for target shooting, self defense, and deer hunting.

I worry the .357 isn't as good for deer hunting and that the .44 is too much for self defense and too heavy to be practical.

Recoil is a consideration as well. I've never shot a .44, but I can imagine the recoil might become uncomfortable after a day of shooting at the range. I'm quite sure it is less than my kick-like-a-mule .480, but still.

Then, of course, there is the cost of catridges. I'm concerned that the cmbination of recoil and ammo price might cause it to remain in my pistol safe for too long of intervals.

Anybody here have good advice on this decision?
Daniel White
NRA Training Counselor
Northcoast Firearms Training

We must carry arms because we value our lives and those of our loved ones, because we will not be dealt with by force or threat of force, and do not live at the pleasure and discretion of the lawless. - Jeff Snyder
Ursus americanus
*** Banned ***

Post by Ursus americanus »

In my copy of Webster's dictionary next to the definition of recoil is a picture of a 44 magnum. :lol:
Daniel
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Daniel »

That's what I was worried about. I shoot my .480, so I can handle recoil. But, that doesn't mean I like it!
Daniel White
NRA Training Counselor

We must carry arms because we value our lives and those of our loved ones, because we will not be dealt with by force or threat of force, and do not live at the pleasure and discretion of the lawless. - Jeff Snyder
JEaton

Post by JEaton »

Dan,
You are correct about the .357 being marginal for deer compared to the .44Mag. Shot placement would be critical for a quick ethical kill. You can shoot .44Spec from your .44Mag or if you reload, you can tame the .44Mag to be very smooth and accurate. So as long as you meant Home-Defense when you said Self-Defense, I would get the .44Mag. The 6" barrel needed for deer in Ohio almost precludes using either for CCW.

Joe
collin

Post by collin »

Get the .44 Magnum and shoot .44 Specials out of it.
haspelbein

Post by haspelbein »

I have a .44 mag with a 7.5'' barrel that I used as a secondary weapon for hog hunting in California. I was able to carry it comfortable all day ... with a holster that included a belt and a padded shoulder strap. :D

For me, a .44 mag for self defense is a paradox: It's either too large to be effectively concealed, and any handgun would be a suboptimal solution for home defense.
Last edited by haspelbein on Tue Sep 27, 2005 1:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud, "General Introduction to Psychoanalysis"
Willy P

Post by Willy P »

I have a 5" 629 Classic and it is just plain sweet to shoot. I had a 7.5" Redhawk when they first came out and disliked it. I do not shoot a plow handle grip well!! I also have a Contender with a 10"bbl on it in 44mag. The 5" Classic is legal for deer here in OH and the full lug under the BBL along with the combat grips must be what makes it so nice to shoot. If I shoot the Contender with the wood grips I know I"m shooting it. With a set of Pachmyers <sp> it is better but none are as nice as the Smith. It is nothing to shoot 50 or 100 rounds out of it, and 300 gr bullet loads don't hurt. Factory ammo prices are sort of high for the 44 and I have not looked at 357's for a long time. I vote for the 44 mag and I vote for it in the Smith! A 44 is more of a push type recoil to me and the 357 is a harder snap. I honestly prefer the 44 for now but I think I'm going to try a 357 again soon. One last thing, if you want to go cheap and are thinking a dragoon style 44, I wish you luck. They leave marks!!! on me at least.
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

collin wrote:Get the .44 Magnum and shoot .44 Specials out of it.
Yup, I gotta go with Collin. If you intend to use this handgun for home defense, get the .44 magnum and load it with .44 specials. You really do not want to set off a .357 magnum in the house. The muzzle flash is blinding and the ear-splitting (and ear-damaging) roar of a .357 in an enclosed area can (and likely will) cause an amount of disorientation and the unpleasant sensation that the world has come to and end. Not to mention that any misses will likely go through your walls and break windows down the street. I have done the .357 in an enclosed space thingy and know whereof I speak. I do not care to imagine what setting off a .44 magnum indoors would be like...

The .44 special has approximately the same external and terminal ballistics as .45acp in a simple point and click interface device. It runs about 800 fps out of a 4" barrel but the bullet weight can be up to twice that of a .38 special. I'm not so good at math, but if the velocity is the same and the mass is doubled, that should effectively double the whack.

Also if you intend to use the revolver for home defense, you may want to go with a 5" barrel. Anything longer than that is awkward to manipulate indoors and could conceivable be grabbed by a bad guy (wouldn't the Brady Bunch love that!). Anything shorter than a 5" barrel cannot be used to hunt deer in Ohio.

All seriousness aside, be very, very careful if you ever shoot .44 specials out of a gun designed for .44 magnum. It is so-o-o-o-o-o nice you may never ever go back to another cartridge.

One day we mignt find you at fortyfouranon:
Cable: "Hi, my name is Cable. I am a .44 special addict."
Group" "Hi, Cable!"
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Collin is on the right track about .44 self-defense loads. At one time Winchester and Remington made 240 gr. "midrange" .44 magnum loads, which employed a lead semiwadcutter bullet at about 1000 feet per second. Certainly not brutal to shoot in 5" or longer barrels, which is deer hunting-minimum length here in the Buckeye.

Haven't checked lately to see if any of the companies still produce such a loading. Assuming they don't anymore, I believe CorBon and perhaps others make a .44 special that is a a little snappier than the old 246 grainers at 750 f.p.s.--- for use in modern guns only of course.

Hope that adds to the discussion..
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Glock and dagger

Post by Glock and dagger »

Good advice offered, here.
I'm Glock and Dagger and I approved this message.

"If it deprives just one citizen of their God-given rights, it's not worth it."
-evan price

FOOTOS... the Fresh Fighter
Daniel
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Daniel »

This is funny. I posted this same question on another forum and it generated a huge response. The overall concensus there was that the .357 is my best option. Since the primary use will be target shooting, I have decided to go with the .357.
Daniel White
NRA Training Counselor

Willy P

Post by Willy P »

OK but you're gonna be missing out. Tom and I are going to get to say we told you so :P Honestly I hope you enjoy whatever it is that you get. I know I for one still want that 460 8) I see one in my future before I retire. :D
haspelbein

Post by haspelbein »

Cable wrote:This is funny. I posted this same question on another forum and it generated a huge response. The overall concensus there was that the .357 is my best option. Since the primary use will be target shooting, I have decided to go with the .357.
Just out of curiosity, which .357 did you decide to go with?
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud, "General Introduction to Psychoanalysis"
Castle

Post by Castle »

Sounds like you have your mind made up, but if you don't....

Consider a S&W N-frame in .45 Colt. Excellent self-defense round. Much easier to shoot than a .44 mag. As effective as a .44 mag with the correct ammo.

Tod.
collin

Post by collin »

Castle wrote:Sounds like you have your mind made up, but if you don't....

Consider a S&W N-frame in .45 Colt. Excellent self-defense round. Much easier to shoot than a .44 mag. As effective as a .44 mag with the correct ammo.

Tod.
Even cooler would be a Ruger Single Action in .45 Colt...use it for hunting and Cowboy shooting! Unfortunately, SA's are not the best for home defense :(