glock manual safety

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

45acpmaggot

glock manual safety

Post by 45acpmaggot »

I am thinking of having a manual safety installed on my glock. Ten Ring in Texas does this amoung others. I entered "Glock owners forum" in Google search and got some good hits. It seems that Glock is dealing with many law suits from Glock owners and police departments due to unintended discharges. This seems to be why Glock has the 9 and 15 pound trigger, what is called the " New York" trigger. It seems that New York was going to stop the use of glocks because of this problem of unintended discharges.

I was wondering if anyone had already installed the manual safety on a glock. It is also interresting that Ten Ring has a letter on there web site from Glock that the installation of the manual safety will not void the warranty. In most cases any additions to the firearm will void the warranty.

thanks and be careful
mattswabb

Post by mattswabb »

For the glocks you can get a safety block:

http://www.tulsafirearms.com/online-cat ... -glock.htm
AmericanGunner

Post by AmericanGunner »

Allot of the discharges come from people who have added 3.5 connectors and power strikers which IMO is just plain stupid in a carry gun as for the LE discharges well if you ask me Glocks are not good in under trained hands during a high stress situation, ALLOT of LE's only shoot their weapon when the department requires it and yes there are other LE's who are experts with a weapon.

As for adding a safety to your Glock if it makes you feel better I say do it as for it altering the warranty that I am not sure of and recommend you call Glock and ask them.
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

It seems to me that the Glocks already have a safety. It is mounted directly on the trigger. If you don't want your gun to fire, don't pull the trigger -- just like a revolver! :?

I don't believe in "unintended discharges", nor in "accidental discharges". Such things need to be called what they are: "negligent discharges". :oops:

Adding a manual safety isn't going to replace training nor eliminate incompetence. :(
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
AmericanGunner

Post by AmericanGunner »

TunnelRat wrote:It seems to me that the Glocks already have a safety. It is mounted directly on the trigger. If you don't want your gun to fire, don't pull the trigger -- just like a revolver! :?

I don't believe in "unintended discharges", nor in "accidental discharges". Such things need to be called what they are: "negligent discharges". :oops:

Adding a manual safety isn't going to replace training nor eliminate incompetence. :(
Well said.
jgarvas
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by jgarvas »

TunnelRat wrote:It seems to me that the Glocks already have a safety. It is mounted directly on the trigger. If you don't want your gun to fire, don't pull the trigger -- just like a revolver! :?

Well said. I think a large portion of the Glock negligent discharges (lets face it, they're all negligence) are caused by carrying them inproperly. I'm not saying all of them, just quite a few of them.

I'm a Glock fan (In my opinion you either really like glocks, or you don't like them at all. Glocks are like their own religious debate). I love the Milt Sparks holster for my Glock and I really like the fact that I can draw and shoot.

I admit everytime I holster that gun to carry in the IWB I take my time and make sure my finger (and shirt, and anything else) are nowhere near the trigger.

In my opinion you can just as easily forget to engage a physical safety as you can inadvertently shoot the glock.

-jeff
Jeff Garvas, President
Ohioans For Concealed Carry

Contrary to a popular belief when I brag about OFCC accomplishments I'm not looking for your thank you or personal recognition. I'd much prefer you send me an email telling me when you are going to get involved in doing what I've been doing since 1999. We are only as effective as we make ourselves. We need the next generation of OFCC to step to the plate.

Is that you?

To Contact Me: Use This Form and pick my name.
AlanM

Adding a safety to a Glock

Post by AlanM »

In the Sept./Oct. issue of American Handgunner Massad Ayoob, in his Cop Talk page, addresses this issue.

Ayoob's main point is that adding a manual safety to a Glock is not so much about ADs or UDs or even NDs, it's about LEOs having their service weapon snached from their holster and used against them.

Timing tests of drawing and firing two Glock 17s, one standard and one modified with a manual safety, show an increase of about one tenth of a second with the "on safe" gun. This test, of course, was done by people who knew the safety was there and had practiced shooting with it initially engaged.

Going back as far as 1981, several studys have shown that it takes a person unfamiliar with a particular firearm and its safety about 17 seconds to snatch the firearm, find out it won't fire, figure out why, and finally get a shot off. Seventeen seconds is a LOOOOONG time. Long enough for the LEO to retreive their firearm and take control of the situation.

If you're interested, here's the website for the safety mod. that they tested: http://www.tarnhelm.com

I'm not a Glock person so I can't comment on this mod one way or the other. I have seen other magazine articles that also seemed to be positive.

ARM

[/b]
JU-87
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by JU-87 »

TunnelRat said:
I don't believe in "unintended discharges", nor in "accidental discharges". Such things need to be called what they are: "negligent discharges".
BRAVO!( Imagine JU-87 clapping loudly).Sorry to requote,as many have. This is so good, it could be a byline!
I'm also a fan of the Glock platform, but I'm not dogmatic/religious about it.
I would recommend NOT adding a manual safety. Altering any pistol may change things that the engineers who designed it, had not intended. Such as reliability,etc.
If your needs include a manual safety, consider a Sig, or a HK product.
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun... Let your gun, therefore, be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson, 1785.

Read "War is a Racket" by MG Smedly Butler,USMC. He was awarded the Medal of Honor twice. http://warisaracket.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Henry Kissinger said, "Military Men are just dumb, stupid animals to be used as pawns in Foreign Policy" and has not denied this quote to this day.
Amegatek

Post by Amegatek »

IIRC, there are also two more internal safeties on the Glocks. However, the most effective safety for the Glock, is the one between the shooter's ears. Finger outside the trigger guard until ready to fire.
Glock 30 Gen 4 (.45 ACP)
FN 509 MRD (9mm)
Sig Sauer P320 X-Carry (9mm)
Sig Sauer P365 XL (9mm)
THE BIG HAMMER

Post by THE BIG HAMMER »

I have a Glock 19 and love it. If you don't like the way the Glock is designed or how it functions then get rid of it or don't buy one. I never had any kind of unwanted discharge because I did not put my finger inside the trigger guard until I was ready to fire.
NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER
OFCC MEMBER, NWTF MEMBER,
PHEASANTS FOREVER MEMBER
Glock and dagger

Post by Glock and dagger »

It seems to me that the Glocks already have a safety. It is mounted directly on the trigger. If you don't want your gun to fire, don't pull the trigger -- just like a revolver!

I don't believe in "unintended discharges", nor in "accidental discharges". Such things need to be called what they are: "negligent discharges".

Adding a manual safety isn't going to replace training nor eliminate incompetence.
Damn it, Tom, I was going to say that!!! Oh well, good show, Tom.

But do you want to know what I am most afraid of? Pulling my gun out in a high-stress situation, pulling the trigger, and low and behold, the safety's on, and while I am flipping it, I get shot. Forget that!!!
I'm Glock and Dagger and I approved this message.

"If it deprives just one citizen of their God-given rights, it's not worth it."
-evan price

FOOTOS... the Fresh Fighter
Concealed and Confused

Post by Concealed and Confused »

I had to say it too.... VERY WELL SAID TOM..
Don't feel safe with a Glock , get a Colt or another with a safty..Glocks rock and oh yeah, it does help to be one with your firearms. If your not safe or "feel safe" to use it or carry it PLEASE DON'T. One of us may be sitting next to you when one of those " NEGLIGENT Discharges happens. I know I feel more safe carrying my Glock than I do my Colt when I think of just how fast you MAY need to have an " INTENDED Discharge".
Good or Bad, Thank you !