How about some pics

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

synack2

Re: How about some pics

Post by synack2 »

My favorite gun, and it was my first gun as well.

It has been passed down in the family from my Great Uncle Paul. He carried it in the Army. He was a Provost Marshall from 1925 to 1945. He was in WW2 and this gun has been in Berlin. It also killed 2 German soldiers. It was built in 1918. It has also been in England, South Africa, India, France. I had just replaced the firing pin and recoil spring before taking this picture. It fires and runs fine and I actually used it for my concealed carry class 12 years ago. It was the only handgun I had at the time. This is the original Magazine and US Army un-jacketed ball ammo that inherited the gun with. I have kept that magazine and ball ammo, but fire it with different mags and ammo.

Carry everyday everywhere you legally can. I carry a Ruger LCP2 or a Glock 42. Find me on YouTube as FrugalPrepper
Delta-3

Post by Delta-3 »

That is not just a sweet piece of history but great family history as well.
Rom 13:4 For he is God's minister to you for good. But if you do evil,
be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister,
an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Nice that you know the history. I have one also from 1923 all correct. Don't know the history though. I keep it in a safe. Fired it one time. Carried one in the service.
How would I go about learning more ?
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
synack2

Post by synack2 »

Here is my other baby. It is a Pre-Ban Polytech Spiker. My father in law bought this in 1988, for $499 at a gun show. When we inherited the house, we found it under the bed, in it's original box, with the receipt in it, with a case of 1000 rounds of ammo with 3 rounds missing. In the box with the Polytech there were three mags and a drum and 3 spent casings. I believe he literally bought it and shot 3 rounds through it and put it away. I asked my wife "Want to go to the Range?" We went and shot the other 997 rounds through it. This is my son at 6 or 7 years old who just got done emptying a magazine through it.

Carry everyday everywhere you legally can. I carry a Ruger LCP2 or a Glock 42. Find me on YouTube as FrugalPrepper
amyacker

Post by amyacker »

Ohio_patriot wrote:Sig Sauer P365 XL(with 12 round magazine) my EDC gun.

Looks great, How much does it cost?
MikeB
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by MikeB »

synack2 wrote:Here is my other baby. It is a Pre-Ban Polytech Spiker. My father in law bought this in 1988, for $499 at a gun show. When we inherited the house, we found it under the bed, in it's original box, with the receipt in it, with a case of 1000 rounds of ammo with 3 rounds missing. In the box with the Polytech there were three mags and a drum and 3 spent casings. I believe he literally bought it and shot 3 rounds through it and put it away. I asked my wife "Want to go to the Range?" We went and shot the other 997 rounds through it. This is my son at 6 or 7 years old who just got done emptying a magazine through it.

Say what you want about the Chinese, but they know how to make AK's...
"Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty."
akracing21

Post by akracing21 »

My latest build

-BCM MCMR 11.5 upper ELW
-Aero M4E1 lower with SBA4 brace

Geissele SDC trigger
Geissele 42 braided spring H2 buffer
Raptor LT charging handle
Eotech XPS2 green w/ unity riser
Streamlight protac light with pressure pad
Ariaska offset mount
True North handstop
BCM rail covers
KNS anti roll pins (not installed yet)
ODIN extended mag release
Magpul MS4 sling

http://imgur.com/a/1Xk9QFv
Mark79

Post by Mark79 »

The idea of comparing the XD series to Glocks always makes me laugh. Numerous characteristics, including dependability, precision, and others, are shared by them.

Due to its pricing and safety characteristics, the XD series outperforms Glocks.

You should expect to pay between $50 and $100 less for an XD than a Glock.

Additionally, compared to a Glock's two safety features, an XD has five.

1. Trigger protection
2. grasp security
third, a loaded chamber indicator
Fourth, a striker status indicator
Internal firing pin security, 5.

I think the XD's trigger safety is better made than the Glock's. Simply said, the Glock catches on a portion of the external frame. Inside the frame, the XD trigger safety snaps into place. There is an internal firing pin safety on the Glock.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Mark79 wrote:The idea of comparing the XD series to Glocks always makes me laugh. Numerous characteristics, including dependability, precision, and others, are shared by them.

Due to its pricing and safety characteristics, the XD series outperforms Glocks.

You should expect to pay between $50 and $100 less for an XD than a Glock.
Hi Mark. Was this subject under discussion previously in the thread? If so it's from years ago. I looked back to 2015, and nada. But, it's okay to bring it up in any event.

Firearms training facilities I'm familiar with wouldn't agree that the XD is equal or superior to Glock. Ask their instructors and in-house gunsmiths what runs fine in classes versus what doesn't. Way more stoppages* and breakage per capita with the XDs, over a period of many years.

Can't argue the price point with you, although Glock seems to win law enforcement handgun contracts about a zillion to one over Springfield Armory. So, maybe Glock undercuts competition there, and makes it up with "civilian" sales.

*I'm fudging the definition of 'stoppages' here a bit, to include both malfunctions (fixable by trained user in seconds at most) and true stoppages, which require the gun be taken off the line to fix, or broken even worse than that. Not sure about specifics, other than instructors mentioning the grip safety as a frequent culprit. Couldn't say how many were mechanical problem vs user error. And, admittedly my information is a few years old.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

Mark79 wrote:The idea of comparing the XD series to Glocks always makes me laugh. Numerous characteristics, including dependability, precision, and others, are shared by them.

Years of experience across millions or billions of rounds from thousands or millions in this country doesn't agree with you.

You're entitled to your opinion, but it is an opinion, not fact.
http://shootingfordollars.org Where Firearms and Finances meet.

You can't truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.
-Important distinction
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

jeep45238 wrote:

Years of experience across millions or billions of rounds from thousands or millions in this country doesn't agree with you.

You're entitled to your opinion, but it is an opinion, not fact.
Agreed. You only need to talk to well-regarded instructors like those at TDI, who will tell you what handguns are most and least reliable. Unfortunately, the XD/XDm are not in the same reliability class as Glocks are, and that is backed by extensive empirical data.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Does anyone know what XD means ?
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Hi Carmen! You think jeep45238, JustaShooter, and I beat up Mark enough? Feels like a three on one WWE steel cage match, where we all hit him with our finishing moves, AFTER throwing Mark off the cage roof and down to the audience floor.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

He’s lonely.
Quack

Post by Quack »

carmen fovozzo wrote:Does anyone know what XD means ?
eXtreme Duty

Springfield's naming of the HS2000