Shooting Ranges and Dealer information.

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

codeman

Re: Shooting Ranges and Dealer information.

Post by codeman »

SpicyMcHaggis wrote:http://www.garysgun.com/

Gary's Guns in Fairfield/Hamilton.
That guy in there is always less than helpful...wouldnt recommend him at all!
"If you kill all the wolves, youre gonna have a crapload of bunnies around. And by bunnies, I mean stupid people"

Mutual Assured Destruction
curmudgeon3

Post by curmudgeon3 »

There's no heaters in the range ......... they have a good, strong air circulation system that draws air in from the outside.
NavyChief
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Sugarcreek Pro Gun closed, no answer at Lauhorner

Post by NavyChief »

Ferrofab wrote:Vince says the guns were taken to the Carlisle location, but apparently the District Attorney feels there is more to the story, as Vince got a chance to plead "Not Guilty" to "theft by decption" in Xenia Municipal Court on Dec 10,2009. The article also stated that Vince Amann was unable to obtain a FFL so that he could remain in Bellbrook. Any ideas on why an experienced gun store manager could not get a FFL?
Uhmm, 'cause he's under indictment?
Ferrofab wrote:It seems as though a new store is opening in the old Sugarcreek Pro Gun location. The new store is owned by Perry and Nancy Fitch. No idea on the name of the new store, but I heard it is open and is in the process of being "stocked".
Bellbrook Guns & Supplies
15 S Main
Bellbrook
Total repeal of ALL firearms/weapons laws at the local, state and federal levels. Period. Wipe the slate clean.
CAAD8N8

Post by CAAD8N8 »

Does anyone have any experience with the outdoor range at Spring Valley Wildlife Center in Greene County? I bought a year long range license online and went out there to shoot the other day for the first time and left without firing a single shot. I went up to the table where you sign in and I saw where everyone was putting their permit number, but I couldn't find a permit number on my license at all. I had a transaction number, but no permit number. By the time I got there it was already 4:30 and they close at 5, so I just left, but I would like to go back eventually and know that I'm signing in correctly. It seemed like a nice place, if I can figure out how to sign in and shoot there. Thanks for any help that you guys can give!
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

CAAD, just going on memory here, but I think they'll accept your Ohio driver's license number on that sign in sheet.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
CAAD8N8

Post by CAAD8N8 »

Thanks for the help Brian!
Ferrofab

Lauhorner is alive and well in Springfield

Post by Ferrofab »

I thought that Lauhorner had closed (took my CCL class there a couple of years ago) and had posted about not being able to contact them a few posts back (12-31-2009). After reading a post in the "General Ohio CCW Discussion" forum about simulator training at Lauhorner, I tried again and actually spoke to a real person. They are "open for business" noon to 8pm everyday except Mon & Thurs. I asked about the simulator training, and was told, "that has to be scheduled directly with Gary" and the cost is $25 per half hour. Great to hear they are still in business. Maybe they were just closed over the Christmas to New Year time frame.
ITFlyer

Post by ITFlyer »

I've seen a few messages slagging off Hickory Ridge here, but my experiences have been different. I found them about 4 months ago when I was looking for a range (they are the closest one to me). They seemed friendly enough when I went, and the other shooters I encountered at the range were, for the most part, mature, experienced, safe shooters. I bought my Glock 26 from Hickory Ridge - mainly because they got me the best price I found anywhere, including online. Once they got to "know me" (coincidentally AFTER I bought the Glock), they are quite friendly every time I go. The range is a bit pricey - $15/hour, $19 for two people. They knock a few dollars off if you buy some ammo. Friday you can bring your wife/girlfriend for free. They're closed Sunday and Monday - I wish they were open Sundays!

One Sunday when we wanted to shoot, we ended up going to Stonewall. I will never go back there. They had lots of guns available to handle (great when looking to buy a new one), but they were very expensive. The range - well, the people in it scared me. Mostly young kids with no idea about gun safety, screwing around. I was in a stall next to a kid and his friends with an M&P 15-22, having contests seeing who could empty the magazine the fastest.

Incidentally, the kid owner of that M&P told me my Glock 26 was "useless" because it was "too small to be accurate." I proceeded to shoot a happy face (two eyes, a nose, and a smile) into the head of my silhouette target with it. He didn't have much to say after that. :)
Ghost Recon

Post by Ghost Recon »

I've shot out at Stonewall and will go back in Jan and Feb. But 1.5 hr is $21. I'd rather drive out to Grand River Target Range and shoot for 'free'. (well, $24 for the 10 month season) You can shoot rifle, pistol and shotgun out at GR and stay as long as you want. Plenty of fresh air, overhead cover and great people. But yeah, Stonewalls guns are expensive.

The only place I avoid is Sherwin. Seems they always have ventilation problems.
Lake Erie Ammo LLC

Post by Lake Erie Ammo LLC »

We use B&T shooting range they are great. For FFL's gunworkscustom.com Located in Sandusky, OH. their transfer fee's are $25 for the first firearm and $5.00 for each additional. They are also a gunsmith shop. They do a lot of custom work on both rifle & pistol as well as bluing & parkerizing . They are ranked #2 on Mauser Central dot com for preferred gunsmiths
JeffK

Post by JeffK »

ITFlyer wrote:I've seen a few messages slagging off Hickory Ridge here, but my experiences have been different. I found them about 4 months ago when I was looking for a range (they are the closest one to me). They seemed friendly enough when I went, and the other shooters I encountered at the range were, for the most part, mature, experienced, safe shooters.
FYI, they are under new ownership as of late spring / early summer 2010. Their name used to be "Royal Ridge", and it's now been changed to "Hickory Ridge". They are currently owned by the son of one of the former owners, and he seems to be doing his best to make a go of it. I've been in there a few times since Barb and Bill retired and the new staff seem to be friendly and helpful. Still have some of the best prices around too.
One Sunday when we wanted to shoot, we ended up going to Stonewall. I will never go back there. They had lots of guns available to handle (great when looking to buy a new one), but they were very expensive. The range - well, the people in it scared me. Mostly young kids with no idea about gun safety, screwing around. I was in a stall next to a kid and his friends with an M&P 15-22, having contests seeing who could empty the magazine the fastest.

Incidentally, the kid owner of that M&P told me my Glock 26 was "useless" because it was "too small to be accurate." I proceeded to shoot a happy face (two eyes, a nose, and a smile) into the head of my silhouette target with it. He didn't have much to say after that. :)
I vowed long ago never to go back to Stonewall for the exact reasons you mention here. Too expensive, too much of a "good 'ol' boy" atmosphere, and they let anyone shoot anything they want any way they want. I'd feel safer driving through the 'hood in the middle of the night than shooting on their range.
fiawol

Post by fiawol »

Anyone aware of a rifle shooting range (for caliber's above .22) in the Toledo, OH area? Closest I've found is the Elmore Conservation Club, and even for public pistol ranges the closest I've seen is out by Swanton (currently under reconstruction) and in Greytown. Any suggestions appreciated.
skifast

Post by skifast »

For FFL transfers, I use Darell Roliff, in Brimfield. His email address is welan@netzero.com Great guy. $15 per gun.

Two weeks ago, I shot at Briar Rabbit shooting range in Zanesville. It has a 400 yd rifle range, sporting clays, pistol shooting bays. Best outdoor range I know.
letterofthelaw

Post by letterofthelaw »

I heard there's an outdoor range somewhere in Colerain Township. I was told it's just about 30 mins. out of downtown / UC campus area. That's where the UC ROTC does their MIL-SCI marksmanship class. Anybody know who runs this - contact info- local?

Also I've never had any luck finding anything out about the shooting range that's near the Loveland Bike Trail? You can hear shooting down a fairly long stretch. We're not going into Milford mind you, it's still on the Indian Hill side I think....I know it's not the skeet shooting only range. That place is MILES away on the other side of Milford.

I'd like to be able to check these places out b/c Target World is asking to get yourself shot and the ODNR range is very time consuming.

I currently live near the Kenwood mall and maybe getting a second residence for work in Florence, KY so ideas on safe and good places to shoot around the 275 loop area and a bit outside would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
jabeatty

Post by jabeatty »

letterofthelaw wrote:Also I've never had any luck finding anything out about the shooting range that's near the Loveland Bike Trail? You can hear shooting down a fairly long stretch. We're not going into Milford mind you, it's still on the Indian Hill side I think....I know it's not the skeet shooting only range. That place is MILES away on the other side of Milford.
It's a nice little range that is only open to residents of Indian Hill.
--
Someone edited my signature and deleted my posts, and all I got was... this edited signature.