Solar storm to hit earth at 1pm today possibly causing gps disruptions

This area is for discussions that do not fit into the formal firearms discussions of the website. Common sense and non-controversial contributions are expected. Certain topics are forbidden. See the forum rules for more details.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

M-Quigley

Solar storm to hit earth at 1pm today possibly causing gps disruptions

Post by M-Quigley »

https://www.whio.com/news/trending/sola ... WR4RA3AZU/

I rarely use a GPS and don't have to use it today for where I'm going, but I might just turn it on to see what it does, see if it tells me to go drive into a
lake or something. :lol:
pirateguy191

Re: Solar storm to hit earth at 1pm today possibly causing gps disruptions

Post by pirateguy191 »

Hopefully Carmen isn't on the road today.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

What's a GPS ? I still use my Army compass. :D
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

it happens relatively freuqently, and yet, the world hasn't imploded. Nothing to really worry about thanks to the Van Allen belts.
http://shootingfordollars.org Where Firearms and Finances meet.

You can't truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.
-Important distinction
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

jeep45238 wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:29 pm it happens relatively freuqently, and yet, the world hasn't imploded. Nothing to really worry about thanks to the Van Allen belts.
However, it explains why my phone kept locking up even though it's set to remain unlocked when in my home. Today, it works fine.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

schmieg wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:07 pm
jeep45238 wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:29 pm it happens relatively freuqently, and yet, the world hasn't imploded. Nothing to really worry about thanks to the Van Allen belts.
However, it explains why my phone kept locking up even though it's set to remain unlocked when in my home. Today, it works fine.
Not really. Correlation and causation are not the same, your phone's locking/unlocking likely doesn't have anything to do with GPS.

You can't truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.
-Important distinction
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

jeep45238 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 6:22 am
schmieg wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:07 pm
Not really. Correlation and causation are not the same, your phone's locking/unlocking likely doesn't have anything to do with GPS.
Actually, it does in some instances as when it uses location to determine whether it is in areas where it is not supposed to lock.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

If you think a cell phone relies solely on GPS to determine it's location for the feature you're referring to, you've got another thing coming homie.

-Important distinction
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

jeep45238 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:34 pm If you think a cell phone relies solely on GPS to determine it's location for the feature you're referring to, you've got another thing coming homie.
It relies on GPS and cell tower triangulation for at least part of it. I usually turn off my cell connection at home and use WiFi calling. I can turn the GPS on or off for the location aspect.
-- Mike

M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

I had an old Garmin GPS on during it's alleged time period and it didn't affect it at all.
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

schmieg wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 3:12 pm
jeep45238 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:34 pm If you think a cell phone relies solely on GPS to determine it's location for the feature you're referring to, you've got another thing coming homie.
It relies on GPS and cell tower triangulation for at least part of it. I usually turn off my cell connection at home and use WiFi calling. I can turn the GPS on or off for the location aspect.
Geofencing is very, very rarely done via satellite these days, it's almost always done via network connection on home WIFI.

-Important distinction
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

jeep45238 wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:12 pm
schmieg wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 3:12 pm
Geofencing is very, very rarely done via satellite these days, it's almost always done via network connection on home WIFI.
And, if WiFi isn't available?

It's done through a variety of methods, depending on the settings on the phone and the circumstances of the location. I make a snide comment earlier based upon the OP's message and we end up in this argument over how cell phones work which also depend on the make of the phone. I'm done.
-- Mike

jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

:roll:

-Important distinction
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

I never knew about this or felt any effects or even affects

Nice banter about cell phones, GEO tracking and uncle sam (samenzhenhystn) watching us

I put my cell phone in a wallet sized metal container when not in use. perhaps that was it

Used to put previous phone in the microwave, but accidentally it got ''mixed in'' with hashbrowns...1:30seconds on high...not a pretty sight...
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
pk47
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by pk47 »

WhyNot wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 8:17 am Used to put previous phone in the microwave, but accidentally it got ''mixed in'' with hashbrowns...1:30seconds on high...not a pretty sight...
:shock: :lol: :lol: