Wayne LaPierre Resigns from NRA

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

M-Quigley

Re: Wayne LaPierre Resigns from NRA

Post by M-Quigley »

JustaShooter wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:54 pm
FormerNavy wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 7:36 pm It's not just him. I don't have an ad blocker running but I've also noticed that they are now requiring an email address to view articles. I used my junk email for it.
Odd that it hasn't made me supply an email - are you guys on a phone or computer/laptop?
I'm on either a desktop or laptop, have multiple web browsers. The firefox has an ad blocker, Edge does not. I don't use my phone for web surfing, the 3" screen wouldn't be good for that use. :roll:
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

https://www.propublica.org/article/nra- ... e-expenses

Granted, these are all far left wing news sources unfortunately, but that doesn't mean that there is some truth in the information. Also, the information doesn't suggest the NRA as a whole did anything wrong, just the people at the very top. If it is to be believed, the members who aren't at the top leadership are the true victims, although that is certainly not how the NY attorney general looks at it. She allegedly asked for the organization to be disbanded, and the judge in the case allegedly said a hard no to that. The judge in this case doesn't sound like the judge in the Trump civil suit, who started out with a basic (paraphrasing) "You're guilty, I just need to know how guilty you are." :(

There are selected audio clips throughout the article, and the full recording is allegedly at the bottom.
At a meeting in June 2009, the treasurer of the National Rifle Association worked out a plan to conceal luxury expenses involving its chief executive, Wayne LaPierre, according to audio of the meeting obtained by The Trace and ProPublica. The recording was unknown to New York’s attorney general, who is pursuing the NRA and LaPierre over a range of alleged financial misdeeds. It shows, in real time, the NRA’s treasurer enlisting the group’s longtime public relations firm to obfuscate the extravagant costs.

Captured on tape is talk of LaPierre’s desire to avoid public disclosure of his use of private jets as well as concern about persistent spending at the Beverly Hills Hotel by a PR executive and close LaPierre adviser.

During the meeting, which took place in the Alexandria, Virginia, office of PR firm Ackerman McQueen, executives agreed that Ackerman would issue a Platinum American Express card to Tyler Schropp, the new head of the NRA’s nascent advancement division, which was responsible for bringing in high-dollar contributions from wealthy donors. Ackerman would then cover the card’s charges and bill them back to the NRA under nondescript invoices.

“It’s really the limo services and the hotels that I worry about,” William Winkler, Ackerman’s chief financial officer, said. “He’s going to need it for the hotels especially.”

The use of the Ackerman American Express card, according to a report by New York Attorney General Letitia James’ expert witness on nonprofits, skirted internal controls that existed to ensure proper disclosure and regulatory compliance and to prevent “fraud and abuse” at the nonprofit. As a result, outside of a tiny group of NRA insiders, everyone was in the dark about years of charges by Schropp — who is still the head of the nonprofit’s advancement division — for luxury accommodations, including regular sojourns to the Four Seasons and the Ritz-Carlton. The NRA, in response, said the report was “rife with inadmissible factual narratives, impermissible interpretations and inferences, and improper factual and legal conclusions.”
Ackerman McQueen and Winkler declined to comment. None of the other individuals mentioned in this story responded to requests for comment. The gun-rights group’s attorney, William A. Brewer III, said in an email: “The tape has not been authenticated by the NRA but, if real, we are shocked by its content. The suggested contents would confirm what the NRA has said all along: there were certain ‘insiders’ and vendors who took advantage of the Association. If true, it is an example of a shadowy business arrangement — one that was not brought to the attention of the NRA board.”

In the recording, Woody Phillips, who was the NRA’s top financial official from 1993 to 2018 and is also a defendant in James’ suit, did not say why the unusual credit card arrangement was necessary. But at one point, he indicated that LaPierre — whose public persona was that of a populist firebrand — had concerns about the optics of using NRA funds for travel on a private jet.

“We just have to be careful because Wayne wants to get through this whole year saying he hasn’t used private aircraft,” Phillips said. In that year’s tax filings, he explained, nonprofits, for the first time, would be required to disclose whether they paid for chartered flights for any of the numerous executives and officials listed in the documents. LaPierre, Phillips explained, “just doesn’t want to be seen getting off the plane — anywhere.”
Ackerman McQueen and Winkler declined to comment. None of the other individuals mentioned in this story responded to requests for comment. The gun-rights group’s attorney, William A. Brewer III, said in an email: “The tape has not been authenticated by the NRA but, if real, we are shocked by its content. The suggested contents would confirm what the NRA has said all along: there were certain ‘insiders’ and vendors who took advantage of the Association. If true, it is an example of a shadowy business arrangement — one that was not brought to the attention of the NRA board.”

In the recording, Woody Phillips, who was the NRA’s top financial official from 1993 to 2018 and is also a defendant in James’ suit, did not say why the unusual credit card arrangement was necessary. But at one point, he indicated that LaPierre — whose public persona was that of a populist firebrand — had concerns about the optics of using NRA funds for travel on a private jet.

“We just have to be careful because Wayne wants to get through this whole year saying he hasn’t used private aircraft,” Phillips said. In that year’s tax filings, he explained, nonprofits, for the first time, would be required to disclose whether they paid for chartered flights for any of the numerous executives and officials listed in the documents. LaPierre, Phillips explained, “just doesn’t want to be seen getting off the plane — anywhere.”
Makris was responsible for recruiting conservative celebrities, like Tom Selleck, into the NRA’s fold.

Phillips then mentioned Rick Tedrick, the NRA’s managing director of finance, a job he still holds.

“And I know Rick’s going to be watching that,” Phillips continued, “not that he’d say anything or do anything.”

Winkler chimed in: “What you guys need to do is give me the guidance with Tony. Because you know what will happen. It will go full circle, right back to Wayne.”
kcclark
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by kcclark »

There is dancing in the streets! :D Starting at 18 second mark.

https://youtu.be/-F4Z57vWVf4?si=IgUpllRO5Py1IkLw
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

hahaha
:lol:
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

kcclark wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:24 am There is dancing in the streets! :D Starting at 18 second mark.

https://youtu.be/-F4Z57vWVf4?si=IgUpllRO5Py1IkLw
:lol:

I hate to be the pessimist, but just because he resigned effective the end of the month doesn't automatically mean that positive change will be coming.
It will take more than Wayne merely resigning, or rather retiring off all the money he allegedly siphoned off the NRA members in one form or another, otherwise you will have the same stuff, or a lighter version of the same stuff going on, just with someone else at the helm. :( It's not just Wayne that might need to go, but a lot or all of the current B.O.D's. according to some pro gun rights people who have been monitoring this situation for years.
kcclark
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by kcclark »

M-Quigley wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:13 am
I hate to be the pessimist, but just because he resigned effective the end of the month doesn't automatically mean that positive change will be coming.
It will take more than Wayne merely resigning, or rather retiring off all the money he allegedly siphoned off the NRA members in one form or another, otherwise you will have the same stuff, or a lighter version of the same stuff going on, just with someone else at the helm. :( It's not just Wayne that might need to go, but a lot or all of the current B.O.D's. according to some pro gun rights people who have been monitoring this situation for years.
You are correct. One of the BOD members posted about it.
The leadership wants a special election to install the enabler and facilitator of all the previous chicanery. No other than our duly ‘selected’ President, Charles Cotton. He is the man more responsible than any other for permitting our selected leadership to run roughshod over our membership and benefactors.

As the chair of the Audit Committee for many years, Charles Cotton was supposed to be responsible for holding our employees accountable and ensuring their conduct was beyond reproach. Our chair and “moral compass” approved every act of malfeasance brought to the committee for decades, and multiple acts were approved retroactively, months, and years after the fact.

When restitution was mandated, a bonus was awarded to the miscreants, including enough money to pay the restitution. This bonus also included enough for the miscreant to have the cash to pay the taxes on his misappropriation.
https://www.ammoland.com/2024/01/open-l ... z8PEr7OxIx

I am hoping people on the board wake up and do not let this happen. When you have Wayne's people pleading guilty to misspending our $, BOD members should take notice and switch course.
kcclark
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by kcclark »

Wayne got convicted of stealing from us. This is another Liberty Doll video about it.

https://youtu.be/eKyRJX-OdzE?si=EAtSqLw90V9BgFnS
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

The irony is the prosecutors intention was to eliminate the NRA completely and in fact that is what the prosecutor initially officially asked for, but the Judge refused that. So in effect it's possible that her prosecution of the NRA might result in an organization that will end up being more effective in fighting unconstitutional gun control laws.
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

Wayne resignation, Mitch resignation, all in the same year?

Pinch me, I MUST be dreaming hahaha
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good