So now the mainstream media thinks 2 shot is now a mass shooting?

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

M-Quigley

So now the mainstream media thinks 2 shot is now a mass shooting?

Post by M-Quigley »

There was a mass shooting recently at a Beavercreek Ohio Walmart. A guy came in with what was described as a "rifle and "an assault rife" by witnesses, the police said it was a long gun. Turned out it was a Hi Point 45 carbine. They guy shot and injured 4 people, which according to the Gun violence archive is a mass shooting. He then allegedly shot himself before the police arrived. So far no motive but the police records seem to suggest he might've had mental health issues. The victims were 3 women and one man, and it's not been said if there is anything yet to state or rule out a motive. This caused one local TV station to state that "The police have not ruled out a possible racial motive for the shooting" more than once, even though the race of the victims hasn't been released yet, and so far nothing has been released to say that it was racially motivated either. :roll:

https://www.whio.com/news/local/i-team- ... NPUPUHFOU/
The I-Team uncovered court records Tuesday that show the only charges in Jones’ past came in August when an Ohio State Highway Patrol trooper arrested him on suspicion of OVI in Greene County.

The only other interaction Jones had with law enforcement that the I-Team found came when Fairborn police showed up at an address listed for Jones two different times — in April and May of 2022. In police reports from both instances, officers indicated they responded to deal with a suicidal subject and listed Jones as the subject of the call.
Anyway, when I was searching for more information, Usa Today had an article that said how Walmart is responding to two "mass shootings" within the last 24 hours. (?) I hadn't heard of the 2nd one, so I clicked the link. The second alleged "mass shooting" was in Anchorage Alaska in the parking lot and 2 people were shot by someone who then fled the scene, no motive listed at the time and the police at the time were looking for the shooter.
It could've been a domestic violence situation, IDK. The type of gun wasn't mentioned. While I doubt it, it could've even been a Biden approved DB shotgun. :roll:
M-Quigley

Re: So now the mainstream media thinks 2 shot is now a mass shooting?

Post by M-Quigley »

Update on the alleged "mass shooting" in Alaska. One news site said Suspect still on the loose after several people killed in Walmart shooting horror" I thought before clicking that it some other Walmart, but of course it was the same Alaska story where 2 people were shot and killed in the parking lot outside of Walmart. Anyway, it turns out it was domestic violence. The shooter shot the woman, a Walmart employee outside the store and then took his own life.

As far as the Beavercreek Ohio Walmart where the shooter actually went inside and maybe shot random people, the store reopened today and some employees are upset at having to go back to work so soon afterwards. One employee claimed Walmart is putting profits over employees safety. As someone who worked retail that risk is there with any job where you interact with the public. If a business were to hire armed security or off duty armed cops for all the time the cost would be so prohibitive they would have to raise prices so much that would drive even more sales away from brick and mortar to online. And of course corporate stores aren't going to allow employees to defend themselves. :(
qmti
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by qmti »

Years ago i managed the loss prevention department at sears and had mostly off duty police officers as my staff. Then corporate issued guidelines that officers could not carry their firearms on duty. So they all quit because one said "we do have enemies out there" and do apprehend some in shoplifting cases. Didn't blame them. I realized that when I had grand jury duty and had to excuse myself from four cases because I had apprehended those people.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

qmti wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 12:00 pm Years ago i managed the loss prevention department at sears and had mostly off duty police officers as my staff. Then corporate issued guidelines that officers could not carry their firearms on duty. So they all quit because one said "we do have enemies out there" and do apprehend some in shoplifting cases. Didn't blame them. I realized that when I had grand jury duty and had to excuse myself from four cases because I had apprehended those people.
Where I lived at the time, the one and only time I was ever called for jury duty, an attorney asked me if I was an law enforcement officer and was rejected just for that reason, even though I never had any interactions with the defendant and was not an LEO with the agency that arrested him.
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

M-Quigley wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 9:12 am
qmti wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 12:00 pm Years ago i managed the loss prevention department at sears and had mostly off duty police officers as my staff. Then corporate issued guidelines that officers could not carry their firearms on duty. So they all quit because one said "we do have enemies out there" and do apprehend some in shoplifting cases. Didn't blame them. I realized that when I had grand jury duty and had to excuse myself from four cases because I had apprehended those people.
Where I lived at the time, the one and only time I was ever called for jury duty, an attorney asked me if I was an law enforcement officer and was rejected just for that reason, even though I never had any interactions with the defendant and was not an LEO with the agency that arrested him.
I've been called twice. I didn't go the first time as they decided the commute from Viet Nam was too far to pay mileage. The second time, I was summarily rejected because I was a retired attorney, even though I hadn't practiced criminal law in over ten years at that point. Now, I don't have to go because I'm too daggone old.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

schmieg wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 11:12 pm
M-Quigley wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 9:12 am
I've been called twice. I didn't go the first time as they decided the commute from Viet Nam was too far to pay mileage. The second time, I was summarily rejected because I was a retired attorney, even though I hadn't practiced criminal law in over ten years at that point. Now, I don't have to go because I'm too daggone old.
I guess it depends on what county you live in as to whether age is a factor or not. In the county I live now, I witnessed a jury trial where most of the people on the jury looked pretty old. Montgomery county tried to call my late mother back when she was 95, (she still lived at home) but my sister who was taking care of her called the court and said she's got Alz dementia and they released her. She could still walk okay and if someone had done a basic interview of her they might not have known she had dementia and might've gotten on the jury. She didn't think she had dementia and would've denied it if asked about mental or psychological issues.
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

Hamilton County follows the local federal court rule of excusing people over the age of 75 if they request it. It's not automatic.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Caution, slightly off topic response: It's on my bucket list to be the oldest driver in Ohio ever cited by police for playing my car radio too loud. I definitely know of nearby jurisdictions that will write such a ticket.

Then I go in front of the judge and start replying to questions with "Speak up, would ya sonny?" "Can't hear ya Judge!" :lol:
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.