rebarreling options for Garand or carbine in the SW Ohio area?

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

M-Quigley

rebarreling options for Garand or carbine in the SW Ohio area?

Post by M-Quigley »

I'm trying to find out the best options for getting a Garand and or an M1 carbine rebarreled to make them a more accurate shooter. (more accurate than buckshot coming out of a shotgun that is :( ) Both are pretty sloppy at the muzzle end. Both are otherwise okay, totally reliable. (at least now they are) With the Garand I had to replace the op rod spring, since then no failures to feed. So far what I've found online is go to Camp Perry. I'm not a member of the CMP and live on the other end of the state from there, so I'd like to avoid making that long drive if possible. (although it's still a last resort option I guess) The few gunsmiths that are left in my area that I've contacted so far don't do this with Garand's or carbines. Does anyone have any suggestions?
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: rebarreling options for Garand or carbine in the SW Ohio area?

Post by JustaShooter »

Can you ship it to CMP instead of hand-delivering it?
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

JustaShooter wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 12:09 pm Can you ship it to CMP instead of hand-delivering it?
If I read the website for the CMP custom shop correctly, (and maybe I didn't) you have to be a member of the CMP. I might be able to just order the barrel and have it shopped without being a member, IDK. I'm going to call them tomorrow and find out.
Those wishing to use the CMP Custom Shop must be a customer on file in the CMP system and meet the same eligibility requirements as for rifle purchases from the CMP.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

I just looked at the CMP website. Apparently I can't even order parts without being a member of the CMP.
I would also consider driving to Cincinnati or Columbus for a qualified gunsmith.
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

I have not read the applicable portions of CMP website, but possibly do they mean. You have to be eligible to purchase i.e. affiliated with a CMP kosher club to send in? Similar to, must be affiliated with kosher club to purchase anything.

It might be as simple as creating a login for their blog community or web store? It can't be very difficult, I did it :wink: 12 yrs ago to buy ammo from them
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

WhyNot wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 8:06 am I have not read the applicable portions of CMP website, but possibly do they mean. You have to be eligible to purchase i.e. affiliated with a CMP kosher club to send in? Similar to, must be affiliated with kosher club to purchase anything.

It might be as simple as creating a login for their blog community or web store? It can't be very difficult, I did it :wink: 12 yrs ago to buy ammo from them
Thanks, I will try that first before calling them. Did you create a login for a blog or a login for the web store?
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

login was for the web store which allowed to view post/comment on their forums. Sorry I called it blog
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll

Yeah, I'm that good
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

M-Quigley wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 10:03 pm I just looked at the CMP website. Apparently I can't even order parts without being a member of the CMP.
I would also consider driving to Cincinnati or Columbus for a qualified gunsmith.
I don't think we currently have a gunsmith doing that kind of work around Cincinnati. At least not one I'd hire.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

WhyNot wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 3:39 am login was for the web store which allowed to view post/comment on their forums. Sorry I called it blog
That's okay, I knew what you meant about blog. Did you order the ammo from the website also?
cpg
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by cpg »

People say firearm owners are compensating for something.
I am compensating for being smaller and weaker than most criminals.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Thanks, but I've already seen those links when I said I had to be a member of the CMP to buy parts, the site said you had to be a member of a CMP club to buy parts or ammunition, or use their gunsmithing services. When I mentioned going up to Camp Perry if needed, that was not in reference to the CMP store, which is in AL. There is supposedly a gunsmith up there that does the same services and is pretty busy at the time of the matches. IDK yet though if you also have to be a member of a CMP club to have him work on a rifle or not.
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

Did you order the ammo from the website also?
Yes I did :)
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll

Yeah, I'm that good
weakhand luke

Post by weakhand luke »

The Ohio Rifle and Pistol Assoc is a CMP affiliated club. Membership is only $30/yr. They do good work and you'd have the access you need to to use the services of the CMP.
weakhand luke

Post by weakhand luke »

There's a CMP store at Camp Perry too.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

weakhand luke wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 7:25 pm The Ohio Rifle and Pistol Assoc is a CMP affiliated club. Membership is only $30/yr. They do good work and you'd have the access you need to to use the services of the CMP.
That's great, thanks for the info.