Ohio CHL no longer valid ID to vote?

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Brian D.

Ohio CHL no longer valid ID to vote?

Post by Brian D. »

That's according to a postcard I just received from the Hamilton County Board of Elections. Along with things such as recent utility bills, etc. (I never felt that kind of paperwork, was nearly the same as a government issued photo ID in the first place.)

This could just be the current head of the HamCo BOE trying to overexert her authority, she's certainly enough of a lefty to do that.

I'll stop by the BOE and ask probing questions this morning.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
M-Quigley

Re: Ohio CHL no longer valid ID to vote?

Post by M-Quigley »

I think my county accepts it, but then it's so rural most of the poll workers know me personally. I haven't gotten a postcard like that yet from my BOE.
If Hamilton county wants to get technical they might be able to say no to it.

https://www.ohiosos.gov/elections/voter ... uirements/
There are several types of valid photo identification.

Ohio driver's license;
State of Ohio ID card;
Interim ID form issued by the Ohio BMV;
A US passport;
A US passport card;
US military ID card;
Ohio National Guard ID card; or
US Department of Veterans Affairs ID card

All photo IDs must have the following:

An expiration date that has not passed;
A photograph of the voter;
The voter’s name, which must substantially conform to the voter’s name as it appears in the Poll List or in the Poll Book
However, there is also this:
Unacceptable Types of ID

Ohio law prohibits acceptance of the following forms of ID:

Driver’s license or photo identification card issued by a state other than Ohio;
Social Security card;
Birth certificate;
Insurance card;
Utility bill;
Bank statement;
Government check;
Paycheck;
Other government document; or
Any registration acknowledgment notice from the county board of elections.
It might fall into the "Other government document" IDK
cpg
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by cpg »

I voted this morning in Lorain Co, asked them if they would accept a CHL as identification and was told no.
People say firearm owners are compensating for something.
I am compensating for being smaller and weaker than most criminals.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Technically the CHLs are issued at the county level. But, under the authority of Ohio. By comparison our driver's licenses are issued by BMV offices, which are state agencies, I suppose. That's some hair splitting.

[This next part is just me thinking out loud.] Through the years I've read accounts of BMV offices, pretty much all in urban areas, getting caught creating fraudulent DLs and other state IDs. Can't say that I recall sheriff offices doing the same thing with CHLs.

For that matter, I've also read about college students sourcing up very realistic state IDs from sources domestic and foreign. Extremely realistic.

********************************************************************************
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Oh, my probing questions at the BOE earlier yielded nothing useful. I've reached out to a couple of political operatives, and a local AM talk radio host, all of long acquaintance.

EricTheBald

Post by EricTheBald »

I was under the impression that the Ohio CHL has been “real ID“ compliant for at least a year or two now.

Seems like it might be a good item to send to Dave Yost’s office for an AG opinion.
-

I identify as Supreme Emperor of the 20 known Universes.
My preferred pronouns are: My Lord and Your Grace.

-
JonasM

Post by JonasM »

Brian D. wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 10:56 am For that matter, I've also read about college students sourcing up very realistic state IDs from sources domestic and foreign. Extremely realistic.
I know someone who obtained a fake ID when he started university. It was a PA Driver's license. A friend of mine, who is former Secret Service, approved it as very convincing. Even scanned the barcode on the back and got a good scan. It was only $60.

Yep, they're good.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

EricTheBald wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 12:48 pm I was under the impression that the Ohio CHL has been “real ID“ compliant for at least a year or two now.

Seems like it might be a good item to send to Dave Yost’s office for an AG opinion.
As far as I know, only drivers licenses and state IDs can be REAL ID compliant but I could be wrong. For sure, since the only ID required to get an Ohio CHL is a drivers license, and that license doesn't have to be REAL ID compliant, I'd say it isn't.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Brian D. wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 11:00 am Oh, my probing questions at the BOE earlier yielded nothing useful. I've reached out to a couple of political operatives, and a local AM talk radio host, all of long acquaintance.
There was a push a couple of years ago to make the Ohio CHL valid ID for any purpose, but I don't recall it going anywhere at all. Don't think it even made it out of committee.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

EricTheBald wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 12:48 pm Seems like it might be a good item to send to Dave Yost’s office for an AG opinion.
Again, just my take: There was a time when AG Dave Yost might have rendered an official or at least unofficial opinion to those of us lowly folks who don't work for a political subdivision.

He strikes me as an entrenched bureaucrat these days.

Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Just to update and keep this thread going: I've spoken with two former Republican party county chairmen, and a former township trustee about this issue. All are still involved with politics, and possess CHLs. None had an answer but said they'd pass along the question.