something slipped out in MSM reporting on Nashville school shooting

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

M-Quigley

something slipped out in MSM reporting on Nashville school shooting

Post by M-Quigley »

I'm not going to go into all the details reported, it's being heavily covered, this is just an interesting tidbit that was reported on the morning TV news, in among all the coverage of people calling for more gun control. This is something that every school system, public or private, should let sink in and learn from, but some will refuse to do so. :( In the killers planning the killer had another target but ended up choosing that school because the other target had armed security Although the killer was suicidal and expected to die, IMO the killer didn't just merely wanted to die, the killer wanted to kill some people first, and getting wounded or killed early on wouldn't have gotten the notoriety the killer was looking for.

IMHO although armed resource officers are better than nothing (assuming they actually do their jobs ie Parkland) the killer did extensive planning, and if the killer wanted to target the school despite an SRO being there the SRO will be the first victim, just like at the grocery store in NY that had a uniformed guard. The best solution IMHO is well trained school staff, so that a mass shooter will have a harder time planning for it, and there's the possibility of more than one armed defender present.
JEaton

Re: something slipped out in MSM reporting on Nashville school shooting

Post by JEaton »

Do you have a source for that detail?

JLE
JonasM

Post by JonasM »

I heard that from the (local sheriff or police chief?) officer giving the police news briefing. They had obtained a document from the shooter that spoke of two potential targets, and that a reconnaissance of each determined that the other school would not be an easy target.
I saw it broadcast on Fox News, and I'm sure it was on most other stations, since it was a public news conference by the local police - at least at the time it was shown live. Later, edits could be made of course.
Bearable

Post by Bearable »

I'm 73 years old. In other words, I went K - 12 before the Gun Control Act of 1968. Ohio didn't have, so called, gun laws until 1972. Guns and the bible were prevalent in school. In fifth grade if you were going squirrel hunting after school you left your rifle in the principle's office; we didn't have lockers.

Guns in schools? What a novel idea.
docachna

Post by docachna »

I live in suburban Nashville. I believe that remark came from Chief John Drake of Metro Nashville PD. I recall it being made as well, and it jumped out at me, given the MSM's opinion of armed school security as being worthless. I'll look on local media down here for recordings of the various updates, and will see if I can locate the one where this was said.

Of particular irony, Metro Nashville Schools (it's county school systems down here) Security officers in buildings (SRO's) are unarmed.

Go figure.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
docachna

Post by docachna »

JonasM wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:44 pm I heard that from the (local sheriff or police chief?) officer giving the police news briefing. They had obtained a document from the shooter that spoke of two potential targets, and that a reconnaissance of each determined that the other school would not be an easy target.
I saw it broadcast on Fox News, and I'm sure it was on most other stations, since it was a public news conference by the local police - at least at the time it was shown live. Later, edits could be made of course.
Found it !!! Chief John Drake, MNPD. News conference on Monday, 3-27. Start the video about 9:00.

https://youtu.be/a1o7UuHJyus

Basically, he admits in answer to a question as to whether the shooter had targeted any other schools, that yes, Hale had targeted another school, but because of her "threat assessment" of that school and finding "TOO MUCH SECURITY" (imagine that !!), she changed her mind and decided to go to Covenant instead.

Odd how this little detail has been completely ignored by the MSM since the shooting. Just like other gun-free zones -- pick the low-hanging fruit and go to the less secure target. When WILL they learn ???
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

JEaton wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:25 pm Do you have a source for that detail?

JLE
As I said in my post, it was the morning TV news (NBC I think was the network) Thanks to docacha for finding a link.

IDK if the Chief mentioned this or not, but on the CBS TV news later on they mentioned one of the potential targets was a mall, but the killer ruled that out also. The news didn't mention why, but IMO I would guess it's because at a mall anyone in the mall might be potential concealed carriers and be shooting back at you. The Indianapolis mall shooting received national news attention, because relatives of mine saw coverage in Texas and Florida, so I imagine it was covered in Tenn also.
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

And why did she change her shoes? Yes, she changed her shoes.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

docachna wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:35 pm I live in suburban Nashville. I believe that remark came from Chief John Drake of Metro Nashville PD. I recall it being made as well, and it jumped out at me, given the MSM's opinion of armed school security as being worthless. I'll look on local media down here for recordings of the various updates, and will see if I can locate the one where this was said.

Of particular irony, Metro Nashville Schools (it's county school systems down here) Security officers in buildings (SRO's) are unarmed.

Go figure.
Since this was a private school what is the law like in Tenn concerning a school employee carrying concealed?

I find it ironic or stupid that if you are a teacher,custodian, etc, it's the end of the school day, and you are shopping at a store or mall when a mass shooter comes in and you take out the mass shooter, potentially saving the lives of some of the same students you saw earlier that day, it's legal and okay, but somehow you are NOT qualified or not legal to do the exact same thing at school during the school day in many places. :roll:
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

pirateguy191 wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:33 am And why did she change her shoes? Yes, she changed her shoes.
At what point did she change her shoes? Maybe that has something to do with it.

Why did she have a stabilizing brace on what appears to be an AR type rifle? Based on the picture I saw if that barrel is less than 16" it's not much shorter. And what is in the gun news and the courts right now? Stabilizing braces and the ATF. :?:

I'm going to guess since ATF brought up 2 previous shootings in the last dozen years where a stabilizing brace was used, they'll probably bring this up also as some kind of justification for the rule, despite the fact that it appears from videos the killer mainly used the Kel Tec carbine the whole time.

In all these mass shootings the news media spends a lot of coverage on the motive of the killer, what they were armed with, their background, why did they do what they did, etc. etc. IMO the "why" or motive is less important than the facts on the ground when the shooting starts. If I'm at the local store and someone starts a mass shooting, I don't care at the time what is motivating the person, I don't care if the killer is trans, right wing, left wing, R or D, what alleged religion they are if any, I just want the shooter to be stopped, or at least interfered with.

I've said this before, what the killer was armed with is less important than what the victims were not armed with. :(
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Good morning all. I've taken a different approach to following this story. I became aware that it happened, then did my best not to watch coverage these first couple days. The misinformation always fogs my brain. Maybe today or tomorrow I'll dig in.

Last night someone tried to pick an argument with me regarding what happened. Told them I had heard nothing about it, and wasn't interested in their take. "I'm trying to watch this game" was my last words to them. Don't even recall who was playing, think it was NBA.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Okay, I started reading. Just once I'd like to know what drugs, prescribed and otherwise, the active shooter was taking. That never comes out, and we know why don't we?
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

bignflnut wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:44 am https://www.ssristories.net/school-shootings/

To bolster Brian D's point
Most recent from that list is 2011.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/former ... 023-03-28/

NASHVILLE, Tennessee, March 28 (Reuters) - The former student of a Christian grade school in Nashville who killed three 9-year-olds and three adults in a shooting spree there was under a doctor's care for an "emotional disorder" and had amassed a collection of guns, the city's police chief said on Tuesday.

SNIP

Hale "was under care, a doctor's care, for an emotional disorder," the chief told reporters during a news briefing, without elaborating.

Under Tennessee law, mental illness is not grounds for police to confiscate weapons, unless a person is deemed mentally incompetent by a court, "judicially committed" to a mental institution," or placed under a conservatorship "by reason of mental defect."

SNIP

Drake said it appeared Hale had some sort of weapons training. Hale fired on officers from the school's second floor as they arrived in patrol cars while standing back from large windows to avoid becoming an easy target.
https://newrepublic.com/post/171437/ten ... l-shooting

Tennessee lawmakers failed two years ago to pass a red flag gun law that could have stopped the shooter who attacked a grade school in Nashville.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798