Blackout Upper Recommendations

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

revred

Blackout Upper Recommendations

Post by revred »

I've started to put together a .300 Blackout pistol. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for where a budget conscious...very budget conscious :)...buyer could get a complete upper? I've checked some of the obvious websites (PSA, DSArms, Primary Arms, Bear Creek Arsenal), but there a so many more out there.

Thanks!
"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free, because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything that I do." Professor Bernardo de La Paz in The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

"What are we going to do tonight, Brain?"
"The same thing we do every night, Pinky. Try to take over the world."
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Blackout Upper Recommendations

Post by Mr. Glock »

Try Brownells...I think they are ATI, but you can get complete "affordable" rifle uppers under the Brownells brand. They might have a pistol upper.

The other option is to build one. Since the 300 Black is based on the 223, all you need is a 300 Black barrel (between 8-10 inches seems to be the longest needed for a 300 Black pistol) and the rest is standard AR stuff.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

Easter sale at PSA right now, not sure if it was running when you looked earlier. $289 is pretty budget conscious with BCG, charging handle and free shipping

I assembled mine from parts as well, then SBR'd it.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

Snagged a 10.5" upper w/ magpul sights off PSA for a reasonable price to say the least.

Very happy with it. Much less violent than my 10.5" 5.56, smoother impulse, etc. As a whole, 300BLK tends to be less sensitive to overpassing than 5.56 as well.
http://shootingfordollars.org Where Firearms and Finances meet.

You can't truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.
-Important distinction
revred

Post by revred »

Thanks, guys! I had considered building the upper, but it looks pretty intimidating to a first-time builder. I am building the lower, though...baby steps. :) I've been looking intently at the PSA site the last few weeks, they're the front-runner, currently. Bear Creek Arsenal has one for $214, with BCG and CH, but they don't get as many positive reviews as PSA. So many things to consider, glad to get the input!

Thanks!
"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free, because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything that I do." Professor Bernardo de La Paz in The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

revred wrote:Thanks, guys! I had considered building the upper, but it looks pretty intimidating to a first-time builder. I am building the lower, though...baby steps. :) I've been looking intently at the PSA site the last few weeks, they're the front-runner, currently. Bear Creek Arsenal has one for $214, with BCG and CH, but they don't get as many positive reviews as PSA. So many things to consider, glad to get the input!

Thanks!
Don't get caught up in analysis paralysis ;-)

You can't truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.
-Important distinction
revred

Post by revred »

Well, I ended up ordering an 8.5" upper off of PSA. The Easter deals were too good to pass up. A whole lot of other people were taking advantage of them, too. I really wanted a 7.5", but as I was waffling between which one to get, they sold out of all of the 7.5" uppers. :roll: Oh well, I'm feeling pretty good about it. I do hate waiting, though. :lol:

Dave Shooter

Post by Dave Shooter »

I built using a PSA 8.5" 300BO upper the other year.
I have been very happy with it.
revred

Post by revred »

Dave Shooter wrote:I built using a PSA 8.5" 300BO upper the other year.
I have been very happy with it.
I'm pretty sure I'll be content with the 8.5". My original plan was a 10.5" and then I over-thought it and decided I wanted to go for a small package. With that in mind, the 7.5" seemed the way to go. But, I'm new to 300 BLK and I don't think it'll matter much one way or the other. :D

jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

For anybody wanting to go down this path, this was a pretty good video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VNl7QXykUY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

-Important distinction
revred

Post by revred »

jeep45238 wrote:For anybody wanting to go down this path, this was a pretty good video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VNl7QXykUY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Interesting information, thanks for posting the link. I saw him in a video on the Military Arms Channel yesterday. They were both using .300 pistols and were ringing steel at 250 yards. I was impressed as both were using red dots. Heck, I doubt I could see the target at 250 yards. :)