Defensive gun use today

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

tbrew85

Re: Defensive gun use today

Post by tbrew85 »

carmen fovozzo wrote:
tbrew85 wrote:
carmen fovozzo wrote:Threw85....I was sort of upset at what you did because you preach the opposite in every post you post..

If your looking for a pat on the back from anyone, start practicing what you preach..

Would you mind giving me an example? Not sure that I've ever "preached" anything on here. I mean, I've been here 4 years and 4 days and this is my 820th post. Not exactly a prolific poster. And I would think I'm more in line with what Werz posted about, No one REALLY knows exactly what they would do in a given situation.

Im sorry that I upset you.

An armed society is a polite society " You need to edit your signature line...
Nah, I think Ill leave it alone.
Proud father of a US Army Soldier

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." - Robert Heinlein
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

deanimator wrote:
Werz wrote:
deanimator wrote:I prefer to say nothing, with my typical Anton Chigurh blank expression on my face. He can do with that whatever he likes. It's certainly not anything close to a "provocation" or "fighting words" under the law. After that, it's all on him.
On this, we agree. In the few situations I have faced where someone was at the verge of physically attacking me, I have found it very effective. It is not the reaction that bullies are expecting, and for some reason which I cannot explain, they seem to know it means danger.
  1. If you talk smack, maybe you're bluffing or uncertain about your own abilities.
  2. If you pee yourself and go belly up, maybe there are further opportunities for "fun".
  3. If you say nothing... things are more... uncertain. Maybe you're crazy. Maybe you just killed somebody. Maybe... he'd better find somebody who passes the victim selection process.
Most bullies get what they want by intimidation. When your reaction does not meet their expectations, they are in unexplored territory, and the risk suddenly exceeds the anticipated pay-off.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

threw85.....Stay Safe...
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
DontTreadOnMe
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by DontTreadOnMe »

tbrew I'm glad it worked out for you, but I'm afraid I have to agree with those who say you went to your gun too soon. I'm not saying this to knock you, I'm saying it because I don't want you going to prison. From reading your version of the story I see probably an imminent threat of physical harm, but I don't see an imminent threat of deadly force or serious bodily harm. Despite the fact that people have died from a single punch that's so uncommon in comparison to non-deadly punches that it isn't (except in special circumstances) likely to cause death or serious bodily harm.

In fact, you may have committed Aggravated Menacing, although it sounds very unlikely the other guy will pursue this. Again I'm not bashing you, but I want to point out the possible implications of your actions as you've described them.

Last thought: Do you carry a non-deadly force option? If not you should think about doing so. As the saying goes "if all you have is a hammer ..."

Best of luck to you and glad it worked out.
tbrew85

Post by tbrew85 »

carmen fovozzo wrote:threw85.....Stay Safe...

Thanks Carmen, you as well

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." - Robert Heinlein
BobK

Post by BobK »

tbrew85 wrote:I am also convinced that many of the people that post here are quick to point out errors, real or perceived, that would do the same in real life, despite their reasoned statements from the comfort of a keyboard. Most of those that will comment on this, positive or negative are not passive individuals.
I would like to clarify that you posting your scenario served as a thought-provoking stimulus for me to take a look at myself and my own tendencies, and to evaluate myself as to where I could do better or worse. None of my self evaluation was aimed as a criticism (expressed or implied) of you and your report.

That said, I like deanimator's and Werz's strategy even more, and will add that as an option.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

BobK wrote:That said, I like deanimator's and Werz's strategy even more, and will add that as an option.
That approach is helped by not being at all friendly or having the slightest interest in the average person. :mrgreen:
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
rDigital

Post by rDigital »

Weakness can also invite further aggression. Bump and bite.

Idiots are super duper dangerous. Be careful.
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

When in doubt, I apply the constraints self-imposed by the Iron Triangle of Trouble (avoid bad people, bad places, and bad things) and eschew same.
tbrew85

Post by tbrew85 »

DontTreadOnMe wrote:tbrew I'm glad it worked out for you, but I'm afraid I have to agree with those who say you went to your gun too soon. I'm not saying this to knock you, I'm saying it because I don't want you going to prison. From reading your version of the story I see probably an imminent threat of physical harm, but I don't see an imminent threat of deadly force or serious bodily harm. Despite the fact that people have died from a single punch that's so uncommon in comparison to non-deadly punches that it isn't (except in special circumstances) likely to cause death or serious bodily harm.

In fact, you may have committed Aggravated Menacing, although it sounds very unlikely the other guy will pursue this. Again I'm not bashing you, but I want to point out the possible implications of your actions as you've described them.

Last thought: Do you carry a non-deadly force option? If not you should think about doing so. As the saying goes "if all you have is a hammer ..."

Best of luck to you and glad it worked out.
Respectfully, I Gotta disagree with most of this. I didn't draw, but I did have my hand on it ready to draw. I believe that because he quickly realized that I was prepared to defend myself, he changed his mind about exiting the vehicle. He was clearly the aggressor. Im not a small man, but he was still much larger than I. I'm certainly not required to wait until he lands a punch to my head to defend myself. When I was 20, I may have tangled with him physically if it came to that. In my 50's, it ain't happening.
Last edited by tbrew85 on Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tbrew85

Post by tbrew85 »

Tweed Ring wrote:When in doubt, I apply the constraints self-imposed by the Iron Triangle of Trouble (avoid bad people, bad places, and bad things) and eschew same.
I was at a gas station in a decent part of town at 5pm. Not sure that I ventured into that iron triangle. But in general, I agree with the principal.

sodbuster95
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sodbuster95 »

BobK wrote:I would like to clarify that you posting your scenario served as a thought-provoking stimulus for me to take a look at myself and my own tendencies, and to evaluate myself as to where I could do better or worse. None of my self evaluation was aimed as a criticism (expressed or implied) of you and your report.
Which, I think, is really the benefit of this thread. So I'll just thank tbrew for posting his experience such that others may have one more scenario to consider in their heads before it happens to them.
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Information posted in these forums is my personal opinion only. It is not intended, nor should it be construed, as legal advice.
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

It simply became the Iron Triangle. Most times, the Iron Triangle doesn't advertise its presence beforehand.
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

Tweed Ring wrote:It simply became the Iron Triangle. Most times, the Iron Triangle doesn't advertise its presence beforehand.
Exactly. That's why we carry. Sometimes the Iron Triangle chases us down and bites us on the butt before we even know it's there.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

That's why my hyper-vigilance can be an advantage to me - I'm always looking...