Charged by vicious dog tonight

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Tweed Ring

Re: Charged by vicious dog tonight

Post by Tweed Ring »

My residential neighborhood has no streetlights. When the weather was good, I used to walk around the block. I always carried a 3 C-Cell MagLight, on, in my back pocket for visibility. One evening, I was set upon by a Collie and a Cocker Spaniel. Both dogs were very aggressive. A Collie and a Cocker Spaniel - what are the odds?

The owner and his friends, who were gathered in his front yard thought this situation was very funny. I did not see the humor. Grabbed he MagLight and prepared to defend myself. Guy called out to me, laughing, asking if I was afraid of his dogs? Told him I was not going to let the dog bite me. Also said I afraid if I hit his Collie in the head with the flashlight, I might really hurt the dog. (I love dogs, but not so much that I was willing to be bitten by one.)

He sent his wife out to gather his pets and return them to the yard. She apologized, said her husband and his friends were being jerks. I agreed.
Bama.45

Post by Bama.45 »

Tru-Heathen wrote:
Bama.45 wrote:I think the part of the code that says if the dog is attacking live stock,exotic or domestic animals except a cat or another dog should be taken out.. Only police dogs can be protected from another dog attacking... That's BS.

I don't agree. Having grown up on a farm, stray dogs were shot on sight.

I think the point was totally missed.... Legally under the Ohio code you can't legally shoot a dog attacking your dog... But police CAN shoot a dog for attacking a police dog which is BS... If a dog is considered property then should should police dogs...Ohio code says it IS legal to shoot dogs harassing or attacking livestock... That has nothing to do with what I said was BS lol
"Lord, make my hand fast and accurate.
Let my aim be true and my hand faster
than those who would seek to destroy me.
Grant me victory over my foes and those who wish to do harm to me and mine.
Let not my last thought be 'If I only had my gun."
And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home
Let me die in a pile of empty brass."
Amen

U.S. Marines 01-07

~The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.~ Thomas Jefferson
OhioPaints

Post by OhioPaints »

carmen fovozzo wrote:When walking a Dog, one should always carry a shotgun..... :)

Or just get a dog big enough to defend himself....and YOU! :)

We used to have a 120# Newfie (big, black, muscular, shaggy dog). I always wanted to take her for a walk in one of the less civilized neighborhoods. I'll bet I wouldn't have had any problems :mrgreen:
OhioPaints

Post by OhioPaints »

Tru-Heathen wrote:
Bama.45 wrote:I think the part of the code that says if the dog is attacking live stock,exotic or domestic animals except a cat or another dog should be taken out.. Only police dogs can be protected from another dog attacking... That's BS.

I don't agree. Having grown up on a farm, stray dogs were shot on sight.
Oh heck, we usually end up rescuing those strays that show up at the farm :mrgreen: Our vet even kidded us that he was telling people that our driveway was a good place to drop dogs off.

All that said, I too would shoot any dog chasing our horses although the horses can pretty well take care of themselves with the dogs.
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

K-9's operated by LEO's have a special place under Ohio law. Had an e/e engaged in a domestic violence situation who kicked the K-9. In turn, the dog did serious damage to him. He was charged with kicking the K-9 as a separate offense. He was, of course, a moron.
Bama.45

Post by Bama.45 »

Tweed Ring wrote:K-9's operated by LEO's have a special place under Ohio law. Had an e/e engaged in a domestic violence situation who kicked the K-9. In turn, the dog did serious damage to him. He was charged with kicking the K-9 as a separate offense. He was, of course, a moron.

Yeah but that's a double standard, if dogs count as property whether police or not the average citizen should be able to protect their dog as well from another dog attacking
Amen

U.S. Marines 01-07

~The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.~ Thomas Jefferson
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

Bama.45 wrote:
Tweed Ring wrote:K-9's operated by LEO's have a special place under Ohio law. Had an e/e engaged in a domestic violence situation who kicked the K-9. In turn, the dog did serious damage to him. He was charged with kicking the K-9 as a separate offense. He was, of course, a moron.

Yeah but that's a double standard, if dogs count as property whether police or not the average citizen should be able to protect their dog as well from another dog attacking
My friend, there are a number of double standards. I used to drink in a local cop bar. Cops tend to look out for other cops who have been drinking. Some county sheriffs, in smaller counties, look out for constituents, but raise revenue from out-of-towners. Some small town paddy rollers operate in the same manner.
Tru-Heathen

Post by Tru-Heathen »

Bama.45 wrote:

I think the point was totally missed.... Legally under the Ohio code you can't legally shoot a dog attacking your dog... But police CAN shoot a dog for attacking a police dog which is BS... If a dog is considered property then should should police dogs...Ohio code says it IS legal to shoot dogs harassing or attacking livestock... That has nothing to do with what I said was BS lol

Ok , I can see where your point could have been clearer.

I'm also highly unlikely to advocate shooting a Police dog .
A wayfarer should not walk unarmed,
But have his weapons to hand:
He knows not when he may need a spear,
Or what menace meet on the road.

- Verse 38 from the Havamal, the Wisdom of Odin.
Bama.45

Post by Bama.45 »

Tru-Heathen wrote:
Bama.45 wrote:

Ok , I can see where your point could have been clearer.

I'm also highly unlikely to advocate shooting a Police dog .
No I don't think it was clear enough if you think I am advocating shooting a police dog :? ..I think we as civilians should be able to protect our dogs from attack just like the cops can their K-9's, without legal repercussions. That's my point..I'm not advocating shooting any animal if it isn't a have to situation.
Amen

U.S. Marines 01-07

Tru-Heathen

Post by Tru-Heathen »

This is the part that I can't agree with, it would remove farmers ability to protect their livestock if it were "taken out". Now I see you didn't mean it in that way. This is the part of your post that could have been clearer IMO.

And the shooting of strays was a lot more prevalent in the 50's when I was young. A rescue dog back then was a St Bernard. :lol:

We are in agreement that it's not advisable to shoot a LEO K-9 .
I don't believe in shooting any animal "just because" ; if I did that Beagle/Lab mix of the neighbors would be on borrowed time </sarc>

Jim-in-Toledo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Jim-in-Toledo »

Tru-Heathen wrote:
This is the part that I can't agree with, it would remove farmers ability to protect their livestock if it were "taken out". Now I see you didn't mean it in that way. This is the part of your post that could have been clearer IMO.

And the shooting of strays was a lot more prevalent in the 50's when I was young. A rescue dog back then was a St Bernard. :lol:

I don't believe in shooting any animal "just because" ; if I did that Beagle/Lab mix of the neighbors would be on borrowed time </sarc>
I believe the part that says:
except a cat or another dog
is what he wanted removed.

Question:
Why should ANY dog, police k9 or not, have free range to attack any other dog or cat they come in contact with, irregardless of any threat or danger that other cat or dog may be exhibiting at the time?
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
Robert Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
I am the expert on my opinion.
And no one else's.
Bama.45

Post by Bama.45 »

Jim-in-Toledo wrote:
Tru-Heathen wrote:

I believe the part that says:
except a cat or another dog
is what he wanted removed.

Question:
Why should ANY dog, police k9 or not, have free range to attack any other dog or cat they come in contact with, irregardless of any threat or danger that other cat or dog may be exhibiting at the time?

Yes Jim, that's what I want removed... I used to kill coyotes for farmers in Alabama.. I understand the whole livestock thing... I just think cats and dogs shouldn't be excluded if K-9's can be protected... I think it should be equal regardless of what purpose the dog serves.
Amen

U.S. Marines 01-07

Tru-Heathen

Post by Tru-Heathen »

OK, even I'll agree with that !

OhioPaints

Post by OhioPaints »

Isn't there an assumption that police K9 dogs are well trained and under control at all times? (Just like their handlers.)
MrKitty

Post by MrKitty »

pirateguy191 wrote:
Slowpoke wrote:Just glad it happened with me and not my wife (she walks the dog on that trail MUCH more that I do). Will be buying pepper spray for her to carry.
Wasp spray works at a greater distance.
I keep UDAP bear spray. =)
Lead, follow, or get out of the way.
-Thomas Paine