LEO: "I support the 2A, but..." (Video of open carry stop)

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

charliej47
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: LEO: "I support the 2A, but..." (Video of open carry sto

Post by charliej47 »

Werz wrote:
Likewise, why do some activists carry long guns with substantial ammunition capacity when a handgun would suffice to establish their right to openly carry a firearm? We both know it is because the handgun is not as likely to cause undue concern to police officers, while a firearm with more capacity to cause harm is more likely to do so. Once again, it is not about establishing rights, but about inviting confrontation, usually with a smug belief (and not always an accurate one) that one will eventually avoid criminal consequences and, perhaps, prove a point. And quite frankly, we also know that it often done for one's personal entertainment and excitement.
We all get our entertainment the way we want when we can. IF we can make a point while doing so, all the better.

I will say that I normally CC carry my main piece and sometimes a BUG. If I feel uncomfortable, I'll carry a second and I've been known to carry a third main weapon. If I feel that there might be problems, I will ask for backup and we ALL CARRY LONG GUNS

Our law system still says "until proven guilty"!
Charles Johnson Jr
12GA. pump - Home defense
40 Cal. Main Carry
380 BUG
22lr Live fire practice
The Second Amendment is about the right to be able to protect oneself from all who would do us harm including Legislators!
I came into this world screaming and covered in someone Else's blood, don't care if I go out the same way

Everyone who receives the protection of society owes a return for the benefit. John Stuart Mill, On Liberty
(English economist & philosopher. 1806 - 1873)
charliej47
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by charliej47 »

:shock: I was making a buy of a weapon and we agreed to meet in a public place. I did not want to go alone, so I asked for backup. I had a friend go with me and One who stood over-watch while the transaction was made.

Everything went well and I went home with a nice weapon.
Charles Johnson Jr
40 Cal. Main Carry
380 BUG
22lr Live fire practice
The Second Amendment is about the right to be able to protect oneself from all who would do us harm including Legislators!
I came into this world screaming and covered in someone Else's blood, don't care if I go out the same way

Everyone who receives the protection of society owes a return for the benefit. John Stuart Mill, On Liberty
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Charlie..The thing is for us CHLH is to avoid a problem by not going some where you think might be a problem.....and for sure if there is a problem, long guns will ad to the problem..
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

carmen fovozzo wrote:Charlie..The thing is for us CHLH is to avoid a problem by not going some where you think might be a problem.....and for sure if there is a problem, long guns will ad to the problem..
Really? How?
MyWifeSaidYes
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Werz wrote:But would that include carrying a knife suspended from one's neck in a venue where one knows it is prohibited, and where that prohibition is not superceded by R.C. 9.68? Is that not going beyond what is necessary to establish what is relevant and actually inviting confrontation?
Re: a knife and R.C. 9.68
[crazed 2A nutjob]
What are "arms"? (as referred to in the Second Amendment of the Constitution of the United States of America)
[/crazed 2A nutjob]

[not-so-crazed 2A nutjob]
Trying to get past security at the Dublin city hall with a loaded magazine, when the gun is safely stored in the car, is inviting confrontation.
[/not-so-crazed 2A nutjob]
Werz wrote:Likewise, why do some activists carry long guns with substantial ammunition capacity when a handgun would suffice to establish their right to openly carry a firearm? We both know it is because the handgun is not as likely to cause undue concern to police officers, while a firearm with more capacity to cause harm is more likely to do so. Once again, it is not about establishing rights, but about inviting confrontation, usually with a smug belief (and not always an accurate one) that one will eventually avoid criminal consequences and, perhaps, prove a point. And quite frankly, we also know that it often done for one's personal entertainment and excitement.
You don't actually think the LEO response would be any less if the long gun in question were a single-shot?

Or if that 30-round magazine were empty?

If I were wearing a bandolier of 6 handguns, and 4 more on my belt, and one on each ankle, I would NOT cause any panic if they were all concealed. I would be doing nothing illegal if I were in possession of my CHL.

But as soon as I put on shorts and took off my jacket, I'm sure a LEO would be called.

It is NOT about the long gun. It is about the unusual nature of long gun carry.
MyWifeSaidYes
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

charliej47 wrote::shock: I was making a buy of a weapon and we agreed to meet in a public place. I did not want to go alone, so I asked for backup. I had a friend go with me and One who stood over-watch while the transaction was made.

You weren't the guys that decided to do this in a bank parking lot, are you?

THAT was definitely a case of inviting a confrontation! :P
MyWifeSaidYes
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

If there is a problem will ALL Carry long guns....you don't have a problem with that statement ?
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:It is NOT about the long gun. It is about the unusual nature of long gun carry.
And some very ugly recent history related to black rifles.

These things do not occur in a social vacuum, and you know it. We are not talking about whether or not it's lawful; we are talking about whether it is designed to invite confrontation. Let's not deny that the primary motive of many is not to be a steadfast defender of the Second Amendment, but rather, to get the thrill of playing "bad boy" in front of the cops and getting away with it. Is that illegal? No. Is it morally wrong? I don't think so. Is it immature? A bit. Does it reflect poorly on us in front of society as a whole? Yeah, I think so.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
dcludwig

Post by dcludwig »

charliej47 wrote:DCludwig, your avatar shows someone in uniform. If that is you, then that uniform is the "Why".
Yes, that is dcludwig version 1.0 and yes, a much younger man. WHY is because I was able to fire numerous black rifles at full auto many times. :-) And I think my stint in the army vs. carrying a long rifle down the street is apples and oranges.

But seriously, though I do understand your point, I don't think you are even trying to understand mine. Not agree with, just understand what I'm saying and if it has any validity at all.
U.S. Army 1968 - 1971
5th SFGA, 1st SF
Republic of Vietnam, March 1969 to May 1971

ALWAYS be aware of the letter of the law, because THEY may not be! --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWLxPC6YKlA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pistolepete

Post by pistolepete »

I have viewed some Utube vids from Texas that are prime examples of activists trying to get arrested and even setting the police up . They are open carrying Black powder revolvers that under Texas law are exempt as weapons. In texas it is not legal to open carry handguns,long guns are exempt.The vids are very humerous because obviosly the weapons can not be cleared much to the dismay of the police. In one vid the activist is in a wheelchair at State capital bldg doing Donuts all over the place and bragging how much it will cost to arrest him because of his condition.and how inconvient it will be after he defacates his pants.Pretty entertaining stuff
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Werz wrote:
MyWifeSaidYes wrote:It is NOT about the long gun. It is about the unusual nature of long gun carry.
And some very ugly recent history related to black rifles.
History...or propaganda?
Werz wrote:These things do not occur in a social vacuum, and you know it.
I do.
Werz wrote:We are not talking about whether or not it's lawful...
Agreed.
Werz wrote:...we are talking about whether it is designed to invite confrontation.
Like the CC-only group says about my OC handgun?
Werz wrote:Let's not deny that the primary motive of many is not to be a steadfast defender of the Second Amendment, but rather, to get the thrill of playing "bad boy" in front of the cops and getting away with it.
I do not deny that some are simply hoping to have something to post on YouTube.

Having a cop say, "Hi! How are you? Don't move for your gun or I'll shoot you in the head, okay?" probably belongs on YouTube, regardless of how the interaction was initiated.

Getting a complaint about a person pointing their gun or making a threat may well be justification for police to identify a citizen.

Getting a complaint about a person JUST walking in public with a shoulder-slung long gun is not justification to identify that person.

That's my opinion, of course. Whether it is backed up by law or not, it is still my opinion.

If it is not justification for identifying a person open carrying a handgun, why would it be okay for a long gun carrier?
Werz wrote:Is that illegal? No. Is it morally wrong? I don't think so. Is it immature? A bit. Does it reflect poorly on us in front of society as a whole? Yeah, I think so.
Society as a-hole, maybe. Society does not have a whole, anymore. Anti-gunners, some passive gun owners and even some CHL holders are against the open carry of a handgun in the state of Ohio.

But I still do it.

Which part reflects poorly? The open carry of a long gun in public, or posting the videos of the police interactions on YouTube?

Would it be different if these interactions were only shared privately? If only other long gun carriers and the police involved knew about it, society (as a whole) would not be aware nor affected.

Complaining about the current president reflects poorly on me in front of society as a whole, but I still do that, too.

And who is the "us" you refer to this reflecting poorly on? Gun owners? Really?

A MAN WAS WALKING DOWN THE STREET TODAY WITH A LOADED, HIGH-POWERED RIFLE AND NO ONE WAS HARMED.

NEWS AT ELEVEN.

:wink:
MyWifeSaidYes
pistolepete

Post by pistolepete »

I wish I could figure out how to link that vid from Utube. Somebody help. Search for Open Carry Texas State Capital Austin Gary got searched. Priceless.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Found and watched the video.

Why do you describe it as 'priceless'?
MyWifeSaidYes
charliej47
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by charliej47 »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:
charliej47 wrote::shock: I was making a buy of a weapon and we agreed to meet in a public place. I did not want to go alone, so I asked for backup. I had a friend go with me and One who stood over-watch while the transaction was made.

You weren't the guys that decided to do this in a bank parking lot, are you?

THAT was definitely a case of inviting a confrontation! :P
:lol: We were in the parking lot of a local theater. :lol:
Charles Johnson Jr
40 Cal. Main Carry
380 BUG
22lr Live fire practice

Lthrnck

Post by Lthrnck »

"A right unexercised is a right lost"

If our goal is to make the open carry of "Firearms" a common occurance, then someone please tell me how to do it with out Openly Carrying a Firearm.

That's the problem we have today. For way to many years now, our children have been brain washed about how bad guns are...therefore that's all they know.

If we don't get out there with our Firearms... and show them that good people do carry, then how are we going to change their minds...

Now don't give me that crap about... We can tell them.. without carrying... that's a bunch of BS... because the first question out of their mouths is ... Well if you can do it, why arn't you..?

Someone show or tell me how we are suppose to change their minds if we don't back up our message.

What's the old saying... You can talk the talk... but can you walk the walk...