City of Akron DEMANDING registration

A sub-forum for the purpose of discussing ORC 9.68 compliance. This sub-forum is strictly for the discussion of progress in individual cities and their respective parks.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Forum rules
This sub-forum is strictly for the purpose of submitting of, and status updates related to, ORC 9.68 compliance. This could mean park bans, open carry bans, or anything that is a compliance issue. Note the format in which original threads were created. We'll track each individual case here and post updates if assistance is needed, etc. You may start a new thread here to notify us of a non-compliant scenario. Please try to research contact information for each city, village, etc, Email, fax, and postal addresses are great. Digital photos of infractions (Signs) are ideal. With limited exceptions this is NOT a discussion forum.

READ THIS BEFORE POSTING
BriKuz

City of Akron DEMANDING registration

Post by BriKuz »

The City of Akron is aparantly REQUIRING registration of firearms purchased in the city. I sent the following to all members of council and, just for the hell of it, I sent it to John Caniglia at the Plain Dealer, as well.
Ladies and Gentlemen,

It has come to my attention that the Akron Police Department is FORCING registration on persons who attempt to purchase firearms in the City of Akron. In particular point of fact, a member of Ohio Carry, a grass-roots Right to Keep and Bear Arms group, attempted to purchase a firearm from the Dick's Sporting Goods by Chapel Hill Mall today, 10 November, 2013. This person was refused service until he filled out personal information, including name, SSN, and address on a form that was purportedly REQUIRED by the Akron Police Department. I would suggest that the members of council look into R.C. 9.68 with regards to a government sub-division in the State of Ohio placing restrictions on the sales, carry, ownership, etc, of firearms.

It is my intention to attempt to purchase a firearm at the listed location this Thursday, the 14th. Should I not be able to make a lawful purchase due to this regulation, I would suggest that the City Could find themselves in a VERY actionable position both on a State R.C. 9.68 level AND on a Federal 42 USC § 1983 Civil Right suit. Unfortunately, both of these would time and monetarily consuming cases, ultimately costing the Citizens of Akron potentially tens or even hundreds of thousands of dollars in awards and attorney's fees. I feel that it would be in the best interests of the City to alleviate this issue as soon as possible, saving everyone the hassles of protracted litigation.

I thank you for your time and prompt attention on this matter.

Regards,
BriKuz
I don't know if this is a rouge Detective or an official policy... and I don't care, as long as the policy is ended and any records collected in it are destroyed.
djthomas

Re: City of Akron DEMANDING registration

Post by djthomas »

This particular issue has come up before. Here's the rub: standing. Akron is not actually requiring your registration. The merchant (Dicks) is. The merchant has the right to refuse the sale for any reason. You can't make Dicks sell you anything. If Akron is requiring the merchant to provide the information that's a matter between those two parties and not you as a prospective customer.

Do you think Dicks cares enough to sue the City of Akron over this? I strongly suspect that they rather enjoy doing business in that city and would prefer to not make waves.
Atilla

Post by Atilla »

I quit going to Dick's when they pulled the EBRs off the shelves. Not to be confused Dick's Gun Room, just up Rt 8 in Cuyahoga Falls, which is one of my LGS's
C'mon! We're all going to die, die standing up!
BriKuz

Post by BriKuz »

djthomas wrote:This particular issue has come up before. Here's the rub: standing. Akron is not actually requiring your registration. The merchant (Dicks) is. The merchant has the right to refuse the sale for any reason. You can't make Dicks sell you anything. If Akron is requiring the merchant to provide the information that's a matter between those two parties and not you as a prospective customer.

Do you think Dicks cares enough to sue the City of Akron over this? I strongly suspect that they rather enjoy doing business in that city and would prefer to not make waves.
Whether the suit is against the City or Dick's makes no dif to me... the end result is being refused service on a civil rights ground...
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

djthomas wrote:This particular issue has come up before. Here's the rub: standing. Akron is not actually requiring your registration. The merchant (Dicks) is. The merchant has the right to refuse the sale for any reason. You can't make Dicks sell you anything. If Akron is requiring the merchant to provide the information that's a matter between those two parties and not you as a prospective customer.

In the sea of public policy, sometimes waves cannot be avoided. This may require a combined action: actions against the City of Akron under the auspices of R.C. 9.68, and a very public boycott of Dick's Sporting Goods. It might be fun to pit them against one another. The store's corporate offices will not like the negative publicity, particularly if it rubs off on its other stores. The city can be pressured over its use of the store as a stalking horse. And note that this is not done by an informal agreement. It is done pursuant to City of Akron Code of Ordinances § 137.25(C), which mandates daily receipt of those registration records by the City of Akron Police Department. The city cannot divorce itself from this registration process, nor can it claim it is voluntary.

Edit: Keep in mind that this "stalking horse" technique is the new method for circumventing R.C. 9.68: making government licensure contingent upon firearm limitations which a private entity might otherwise not promulgate or enforce.
Last edited by Werz on Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

Are there any other "gun dealers" in the city of Akron? Were they also required to adhere to the city's ordinance?
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

I was in Dick's Sporting Goods in Dublin, Ohio some years ago to buy a pistol. Sales clerk told me I had to register it with the City of Columbus; told him no.
BriKuz

Post by BriKuz »

Mike Freeman, Ward 9 Councilman, has replied... he said he would look into it with both the law department and the police department. Fingers crossed that this goes quickly.
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

BriKuz wrote:Mike Freeman, Ward 9 Councilman, has replied... he said he would look into it with both the law department and the police department. Fingers crossed that this goes quickly.
It appears that the only Dick's Sporting Goods within the City of Akron is across from Chapel Hill Mall. In case you want to target the proper council member, that's Ward 2.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
BriKuz

Post by BriKuz »

Werz wrote:
BriKuz wrote:Mike Freeman, Ward 9 Councilman, has replied... he said he would look into it with both the law department and the police department. Fingers crossed that this goes quickly.
It appears that the only Dick's Sporting Goods within the City of Akron is across from Chapel Hill Mall. In case you want to target the proper council member, that's Ward 2.
I targeted the entire council, for the above stated ordinance is illegal and needs to be removed, hence is within the purview of the ENTIRE council... and the Akron PD... and, perhaps, Mr. Caniglia ;-) lol
pleasantguywhopacks
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by pleasantguywhopacks »

We are going to touch on this a bit tonight on the radio show and try to stir the embers..

http://www.55krc.com/cc-common/listenlive/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; at 7pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOxXpNBdrVE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away!
Life Member NRA
polizi212

Post by polizi212 »

Perhaps my cheese has slipped off my cracker but the New Dicks Sporting goods is located in the plaza at Chapel Hill and that my friends is in Ward 1 of Cuyahoga Falls! So if the store is trying to get paperwork for Akron they are mistaken! Here is the map of Cuyahoga Falls. http://cfo.cityofcf.com/web/our-city/city-map" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Perhaps when they moved to the new store a few weeks ago they forgot to tell the sales people that they are not in Akron any more!
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

polizi212 wrote:Perhaps my cheese has slipped off my cracker but the New Dicks Sporting goods is located in the plaza at Chapel Hill and that my friends is in Ward 1 of Cuyahoga Falls! So if the store is trying to get paperwork for Akron they are mistaken! Here is the map of Cuyahoga Falls. http://cfo.cityofcf.com/web/our-city/city-map" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Perhaps when they moved to the new store a few weeks ago they forgot to tell the sales people that they are not in Akron any more!
Now that would be funny - especially if you could get the manager to tell the Akron PD detective to pound sand when he comes by to collect the most recent batch of illegal registration forms... :lol:
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
pleasantguywhopacks
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by pleasantguywhopacks »

Dicks doesn't have to sue. They cant be forced to do this. They are just choosing to do this. Pressure needs to be brought to bear.I would be surprised once light is brought that the PD continues..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOxXpNBdrVE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away!
Life Member NRA
BobK

Post by BobK »

Dick's Sporting Goods has a long history of respecting their customer's 2nd Amendments rights.

I had an encounter in Columbus back in 2008 that I wrote about here: Dick's Sporting Goods.

When I complained to corporate, I had the store manager calling me and apologizing less than 12 hours later.

Seems to me that an official OFCC complaint with follow-up letter quoting the law would trigger a prompt response from corporate.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?