Wolf shot by police in Riverside (Dayton)

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

ohiophotog

Wolf shot by police in Riverside (Dayton)

Post by ohiophotog »

I guess the media likes to report on this now, seems like we hear a lot more stories now a days.

[url][http://www.whiotv.com/news/news/crime-l ... nYzc5//url]

Love how the media is really playing up that this animal was a wolf hybrid. Anything for ratings I suppose.

Sounds like a good shoot, legally at least.
- OK. Jokes over. Bring back the Constitution.
- Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
- No trees were harmed during the transmission of this message, however a ton of electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.
TJW815

Re: Wolf shot by police in Riverside (Dayton)

Post by TJW815 »

http://www.whiotv.com/news/news/crime-l ... ase/nYzc5/. That link should work a lil better.

I usually don't take the animals side I these stories but this one....... The officer should probably look before taking that blind leap of faith! :roll:
Curzyk

Post by Curzyk »

Ugh. I really hate these stories. I'd ask what gave him the right, but it somehow ends up as a circular argument. In my opinion, private individuals really don't need to be owning wildlife (or any hybrid thereof). If the officer was able to scale the fence, then sadly the wolf wasn't properly contained. Take Wolf Park as an example, out in Battle Ground, IN. One of my favorite places. Proper wolf containment consists of two fences, covering from below digging depth to at least 7 or 8 feet high with an inward facing barbed overhang and covered in chicken wire. This is similar to what you'd see at the zoo.

At the same time, I have a dog that could be "mistaken" for a wolf by a less informed individual. He would most certainly approach any individual who came near, but that's just because he's very curious and confident. I'd be devastated if my dog were to be shot by a cop trespassing in my yard. No amount of money can undo such an act.
Ray

Post by Ray »

Is there anything the home owner can do now?? Since the Police were trespassing on the property...... They ought to feel lucky that the home owner didn't shoot the cops...............

Just a thought...............

Ray
Me and my
XD-9
Taurus 38
PT638 Pro-380
P-22
Sig 9 for wife
NRA Member
BobK

Post by BobK »

Curzyk wrote:... I'd ask what gave him the right, but it somehow ends up as a circular argument.
He was in pursuit of someone with outstanding warrants who was running from him. The criminal is the one who fled onto the property (where he was found). The police officer had every right to be there.
Curzyk wrote:If the officer was able to scale the fence, then sadly the wolf wasn't properly contained. ...
Obviously you didn't watch the video. It was a 3 ft chain link fence. The animal could have cleared that fence easily.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
jabeatty

Post by jabeatty »

BobK wrote:The police officer had every right to be there.
Just to pick a nit, and because it's way too easy to fall into the trap of using their words...

The officer might have had the power and/or the authority to be there, but he didn't have the right to be on someone else's property without their express permission.
--
Someone edited my signature and deleted my posts, and all I got was... this edited signature.
BobK

Post by BobK »

jabeatty wrote:
BobK wrote:The police officer had every right to be there.
Just to pick a nit, and because it's way too easy to fall into the trap of using their words...

The officer might have had the power and/or the authority to be there, but he didn't have the right to be on someone else's property without their express permission.
To nit-pick back, the police have the legal right to pursue a feeling suspect. It isn't just power or authority, there is legal justification.

Now if one wants to discuss the moral right or "natural law", that is a different conversation.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

BobK wrote:
Curzyk wrote:If the officer was able to scale the fence, then sadly the wolf wasn't properly contained. ...
Obviously you didn't watch the video. It was a 3 ft chain link fence. The animal could have cleared that fence easily.
Maybe is it just me, but aren't the two of you saying the same thing?
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Curzyk

Post by Curzyk »

BobK wrote:
Curzyk wrote:... I'd ask what gave him the right, but it somehow ends up as a circular argument.
He was in pursuit of someone with outstanding warrants who was running from him. The criminal is the one who fled onto the property (where he was found). The police officer had every right to be there.
Thanks, but I wasn't actually asking.. I understand the concept of pursuit.
BobK wrote:
Ahh, there was a video? I have JavaScript turned off by default and didn't see where a player wanted to load. Honestly it wasn't necessary as my statement stands. How short the fence was is sorta irrelevant because as I said, if the officer could get over it, it was inadequate for proper containment of a wolf or hybrid.
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

Poor Wolf.. My Hybrid loved people. The "Big Bad Wolf" moniker was bull and certainly didn't apply to mine. Usually if something scary was going on he would be the first to hide, confrontation is not natural for wolves. Maybe if they are sick,injured, or starving. Lobo only ever growled at one guy in the 17 years he was my pal, and that guy tried to get into our house in Cleveland, but even then Lobo was behind my wife, growling at the person that was making her uncomfortable. It was enough that the guy decided to not enter.

Although the officer may have been there legally in the course of his duties, It still bites that they are making the critter out to be bad just because it was part wolf. all dogs are territorial to some extent, many would have charged the officer barking and growling whatever their breed.

This is just another case of the Media saying "all guns are bad". "all rottweilers are vicious", "All PitBulls are baby killers", "all Wolf-hybrids are vicious untamed wild animals". I call BS on the MSM for yet another overinflated story.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
ohiophotog

Post by ohiophotog »

TJW815 wrote:http://www.whiotv.com/news/news/crime-l ... ase/nYzc5/. That link should work a lil better.

I usually don't take the animals side I these stories but this one....... The officer should probably look before taking that blind leap of faith! :roll:
Thanks TJW.

I agree. Legally the officer was in the right as he was in pursuit. But he jumps a random fence without permission then he shoots their dog its just messed up. The owner didn't have a chance to get the dog out of the way before the officer barges onto his property.

Now do I expect the officer to stop his hot pursuit to ask permission from the property owner to enter the property? No. Hot pursuit laws are there for a reason but they have their consequences and collateral damage. The city should make things right though for their agents destruction of private property.
Bruenor wrote:This is just another case of the Media saying "all guns are bad". "all rottweilers are vicious", "All PitBulls are baby killers", "all Wolf-hybrids are vicious untamed wild animals". I call BS on the MSM for yet another overinflated story.
Exactly.
- OK. Jokes over. Bring back the Constitution.
- Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
- No trees were harmed during the transmission of this message, however a ton of electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.
wkdravenna

Post by wkdravenna »

Come on to you're property and destroy you're personal property. Pretty typical and its garbage. I know a person in Pennsylvania who has a wolf dog. It comes up and licks you, its very sweet animal. Not all dogs, that is what it is is a dog have the exact same temperament.
My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. - JFK