Arrests @ School Bus stop

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

captmud

Arrests @ School Bus stop

Post by captmud »

while not a ccw carrier still makes me wonder.

http://www.cantonrep.com/newsnow/x10488 ... l-bus-stop" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

is this something new, i've never heard of it, but it is canton city or New York west

[Davis said that the child was charged because school bus stops are considered the property of Canton City Schools, and the incident occurred at the school bus stop.]
DontTreadOnMe
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Arrests @ School Bus stop

Post by DontTreadOnMe »

I hadn't thought of it that way, but school bus stops, even though they're at public sidewalks & intersections, may be considered a 'school activity' since they're coordinated by the local school, and therefore a 'school safety zone' (which is probably what he meant by 'school property').

That does raise the question of how much in advance of the bus's arrival the public property can legitimately be considered a school safety zone.
FormerNavy

Post by FormerNavy »

DontTreadOnMe wrote:I hadn't thought of it that way, but school bus stops, even though they're at public sidewalks & intersections, may be considered a 'school activity' since they're coordinated by the local school, and therefore a 'school safety zone' (which is probably what he meant by 'school property').

That does raise the question of how much in advance of the bus's arrival the public property can legitimately be considered a school safety zone.

Several years ago I had raised that question on the board, and if memory serves people thought I was nuts for thinking it could be construed that way.
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

If a school bus stop is to be considered school property then they need to post a sign that it's a school bus stop/gun free zone. I wonder how many signs that would be...

And all this over a BB gun ? it's not even a firearm.

I sure am glad I moved away from Canton before the water went bad, and everyone down their lost the freaking minds.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

They do NOT need to a post a sign, this is an enumerated school safety zone and doesn't require a sign for you to get yourself a felony. Even if (especially if?) you have an Ohio CHL.

I don't recall you bringing this up a couple of years ago, but it's always been mighty clear to me.
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
DontTreadOnMe
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by DontTreadOnMe »

Sevens wrote:They do NOT need to a post a sign, this is an enumerated school safety zone and doesn't require a sign for you to get yourself a felony. Even if (especially if?) you have an Ohio CHL.

I don't recall you bringing this up a couple of years ago, but it's always been mighty clear to me.
OK, but clearly that patch of sidewalk can't be a school safety zone 24/7. It's a safety zone for the purpose of the school activity of assembling for, boarding & unboarding the bus. So when, precisely, is it and is it not a school safety zone?

Is it only during the specific time identified by the school for the bus schedule? (in my experience this is often just a single minute, not a range; i.e. 8:15am)

Does it become a school safety zone when the bus can be seen approaching & leaving?

Does it become a school safety zone as soon as the first child shows up?

I think there's a lot of ambiguity here.
dla357

Post by dla357 »

I guess a lot of us could be charged with a felony every time we cc while walking our children to the bus stop armed.
U.S. ARMY 1986-1996
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

DontTreadOnMe wrote:I think there's a lot of ambiguity here.
Ha ha, ya think?! This isn't news, and this isn't the only law or specifically, a gun related law that has a lot of ambiguity surrounding it.
dla357 wrote:I guess a lot of us could be charged with a felony every time we cc while walking our children to the bus stop armed.
Umm, yes, in fact, that makes it absolutely clear. It's more ambiguous if you are out walking your dog with no children and you pass near or through a school bus stop than when you HAVE kids and you are there for the purpose of that school safety zone.

I would think that you could walk your children to the vicinity of the bus stop and then stand on an opposite or adjacent corner and watch them from a distance and you'd have diligently attempted top stay within the boundaries of the obviously idiotic law. But that would be up to a judge, no?

Yes, the whole thing is irrationally and mindblowingly idiotic, this should go without saying. A similarly idiotic law is when I let the dog out to take a dump at night. If I go outside for any reason (to pick up the crap, to chase the dog, to pull a weed, etc etc) and I've got my gun concealed on me... well, I better also have my wallet or I'm breaking yet another ludicrous law. Even in my front yard or EGADS, if the dog wanders to the neighbor's yard and I have to retrieve him.

Let us please not act any manner of surprised that these laws are pointless and idiotic and attempt (if nothing else) to make criminals out of good people.

Before you bang your head against the wall, please also ask yourself what manner of "danger" or "crime" these laws even halfway hope to prevent?! :x
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
Birdman

Post by Birdman »

It appears though, to be legal to park right next to the bus stop, stay in your vehicle, drop the kiddo off, then leave. It is legal to do so directly on school property, so should be legal at a bus stop. Just do not exit the vehicle.
Stupid laws.
“It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people’s minds”-Sam Adams

"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot."
- Mark Twain, Notebook, 1935
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

In Ohio, the school BUS is the school safety zone, not the bus stop.
MyWifeSaidYes
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

That one is particularly infuriating.

So you roll up to the school and drop off your 7-year old, your pride & joy and the child that defines your place in this world.
And some idiot removed a sewer grate and your 7-year old FALLS IN TO THE HOLE.

Choose!
1) You, Mr. Law Abiding Citizen proceed to honk the horn, wave, and wish your child good luck as you drive off in search of a cup of coffee.
2) Again, keeping mindful of the laws, you drive your car a quarter mile out to the rural road, park your car in a ditch and toss your loaded handgun in it, then you run full-bore to try and rescue your child from a hole in the parking lot.
3) Dutifully observing the ORC, you calmly pick up your cell phone and call the school office to let them know your 7-year old is in a hole out in front of the building but you aren't legally allowed to do -ANYTHING IN THE WORLD- to rescue her.

Change "hole in the lot" to "my car is actually ON FIRE AND MELTING WITH ME IN IT" and it's pretty much the same scenario.
ArmedAviator

Post by ArmedAviator »

At my mom's house, the bus stop is the corner of our property (we live on the corner lot of a cul-de-sac).

If I sat on a lawn chair on our private property, mere feet from the sidewalk and street, this would be legal?

Also, as MWSY said above, isn't the bus the school zone and not the bus stop?

I'm all sorts of confused now.
Good luck and stand fast, true Patriots.
TDwin
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

You guys are over working this!
Abandon ye all HOPE!
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:In Ohio, the school BUS is the school safety zone, not the bus stop.
Depends on how you define "school activity."

(1) "School safety zone" consists of a school, school building, school premises, school activity, and school bus.

(2) "School," "school building," and "school premises" have the same meanings as in section 2925.01 of the Revised Code.

(3) "School activity" means any activity held under the auspices of a board of education of a city, local, exempted village, joint vocational, or cooperative education school district; a governing authority of a community school established under Chapter 3314. of the Revised Code; a governing board of an educational service center, or the governing body of a school for which the state board of education prescribes minimum standards under section 3301.07 of the Revised Code.

(4) "School bus" has the same meaning as in section 4511.01 of the Revised Code.

Generally, the school board is the one that has the final decision on where a bus stop is located, therefore I would consider the location a school activity which then makes it a school safety zone.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
mudbathin

Post by mudbathin »

I think a normal law abiding citizen would have no problem carrying concealed to their child's bus stop. Sounds to me like the Canton police were looking for a reason to charge two yahoos for waving a gun around.