Gararge Broken into

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Metal1

Gararge Broken into

Post by Metal1 »

Unsure what category to put this in on the Forum. My garage was broken into the other day and I called the police to get a report taken of the missing items. While listening to my scanner I heard the Dispatcher make the call to the Patrol Officer informing them of the theft and "caution, multiple firearms at the residence"
I was in the garage when the Officers showed up to take the report, open carrying, no issues whatsoever. They did however park three houses down and approached on foot. Seemed a bit strange.
After the Report was taken, I gave the Dispatch call some thought and realized now every person in the local listening area knows I have multiple firearms at my residence. Kind of like announcing it to the world!
I have no idea how I got a "caution" on my home to begin with? Never any issues with the Police. The only thing I can think of is that I have multiple NFA weapons and silencers that the Chief signed off on for the ATF.
Everything is locked up in multiple high quality safes and others at my Fathers in his safes. The question is should I be upset over them broadcasting that I have multiple weapons in my home for every Tom, Dick & Harry?
join or die

Re: Gararge Broken into

Post by join or die »

Since you called them, i don't see why they think that they need to be afraid of you.
The government, or anyone else for that matter, doesn't have the right to tell me what i need or don't need.
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Cops don't like to get ambushed....
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
Johnny Law

Post by Johnny Law »

Everybody in the local viewing area knew you had a gun also since you were open carrying, if the garage door was open.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Metal1 wrote: I have no idea how I got a "caution" on my home to begin with? Never any issues with the Police. The only thing I can think of is that I have multiple NFA weapons and silencers that the Chief signed off on for the ATF.
Everything is locked up in multiple high quality safes and others at my Fathers in his safes. The question is should I be upset over them broadcasting that I have multiple weapons in my home for every Tom, Dick & Harry?
Yeah I wouldn't much like that. Seems apparent to me that the police made a record for themselves about the guns when you had the chief sign the forms.

When police/fire depts from several communities hereabouts used to share one channel you'd hear all sorts of things about the people who lived where dispatch was sending help and it was very distressing. Nowadays the HIPAA (medical privacy) violations alone would tend to deter that sort of thing if the citizens heard the radio traffic.
Last edited by Brian D. on Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Metal1

Post by Metal1 »

Johnny Law wrote:Everybody in the local viewing area knew you had a gun also since you were open carrying, if the garage door was open.
Quite a bit different than broadcasting via the airwaves and the "local viewing area" would be pretty limited in my neighborhood, inside my garage. Knowing I have a gun by seeing it on my person is also quite a bit different than knowing I have multiple at the residence via dispatch.
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

Listening to my scanner I often hear people's names, DOB, addresses, and SSN or DL#s
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
pleasantguywhopacks
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by pleasantguywhopacks »

Chuck wrote:Listening to my scanner I often hear people's names, DOB, addresses, and SSN or DL#s
That has always been a pet peeve of mine.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOxXpNBdrVE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away!
Life Member NRA
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Such things aren't supposed to occur on the fire/police channels now but just a few hours ago a medical call was dispatched out to us that gave WAY too much info, including patient name and particulars of his medical condition. About all it lacked was a social security number. Were I a honcho some none-too happy follow up would have quickly occured with the communications staffers.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
CroManGun
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by CroManGun »

Metal1 wrote: The question is should I be upset over them broadcasting that I have multiple weapons in my home for every Tom, Dick & Harry?
I think most people assume if you have A gun, you've probably got more than one. Personally, I don't know any gun owner that has only one.
Genuine Scooter Trash
Member: NRA/OFCC/AAA/GER/AFG
Former Member: Amish Chippendales
I Am Not A Lawyer, But I Have Played One In Real Life
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

pleasantguywhopacks wrote:
Chuck wrote:Listening to my scanner I often hear people's names, DOB, addresses, and SSN or DL#s
That has always been a pet peeve of mine.
I do it daily....and yes, it's a huge pet peeve of mine. So much that I would help fund someone's case that wants to take it to the Supreme Court that it shouldn't be allowed. Unfortunately we need a victim. That's how it became illegal for documents online to have SSNs anymore. My department was behind a case (everyone did it in Hamilton County, we just happened to have the "victim") where a person's SSN was taken off the Clerk of Courts website and they had their ID stolen. So now SSNs can't be on any public records paperwork going to the Clerk's office however we can still do it daily over the radio on unsecured channels.

As for the OP and topic at hand. Sounds like they recorded it in their in house computer system when they approved the forms. Unfortunately not sure there's much one can do about that. We have certain houses "flagged" for cautions but none for firearms that I can think of.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
OhioPaints

Post by OhioPaints »

Metal1 wrote: The question is should I be upset over them broadcasting that I have multiple weapons in my home for every Tom, Dick & Harry?
Don't worry, it is against federal law for anyone not entitled to make use of information sent over the radio (47 USC § 605). Your information is secure, only criminals and news stations would violate the law :roll:
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

<snort>
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
A_F

Post by A_F »

I thought the days of picking up radio traffic with a home scanner were long gone? trunked, systems, frequency hopping radios, etc etc.

Plus I thought most of the calls went out over the laptops in the cars, like instant messaging.
Metal1

Post by Metal1 »

My scanner has triple trunking, don't ask me what the hell that does though.