List some positive or neutral OC stories

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

1johnb

Re: List some positive or neutral OC stories

Post by 1johnb »

I live in a border county and open carry most any place I go. Never have had any one say anything to me. I have been in the Richmond In. Wally world, Meijer, Kroger & most of the auto parts stores. In Preble co. I have carried numerous places, the only people that have mentioned it are workers at businesses I frequently buy from. That usually leads to a bit of good quality gun talk.
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

While filling up my tank yesterday at my favorite stop and rob the guy at the next pump over hollers at me, saying "How do you get away with that?"
And I say "Get away with what?"
And he says "Get away with carrying your gun out in the open like that"
And I say "It's legal, no problem"
And he says "You sure? That's not what they tell me"
So I say, "I don't know who 'they' are, but they're about as wrong as wrong can be. I have the laws right here. Want to see them?"
And he says, "Sure"
So I grab a copy of the AG Handbook from the truck and go hand it to him and say "Here it is, check out the last paragraph at the bottom of page 17"
He reads it and says "So I can carry like that too?"
And I say, "sure, as long as you're allowed to own a gun in the first place. What's your police record like?"
And he says he's fine, clean, no record, allowed to own a gun, etc, and I tell him That without a license he can't carry in a car like I can, that the gun must be unloaded, in a case, with the magazine--- and he cuts me off saying he knows all about transporting
I try to finish my statement and he suddenly turns into Mister Know-it-all saying he's transported firearms all his life.
So I told him he could keep the book, wished him a pleasant day, and jumped in my truck and drove off

Takes all kinds I suppose,,,,
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Chuck wrote:Takes all kinds I suppose,,,,
Crusty old father of one of my shooting pals used to reply to that line with:

'It don't TAKE all kinds we just GOT all kinds!" Sometimes with an expletive or two added.

In a similar vein, couple weeks ago at a cigar shindig, one of the guys at the table (let's call him Joe) threw in his two cents' worth about carrying, that he knew it was a federal offense to carry a gun in a bar, everyplace. That took some sorting out; he had done a woefully poor job of reading the Ohio Dept. of Liquor Control's signs.

And it got even more fun when the subject of open carry came up. On this occasion two of the others at our table happened to be LEOs, one a sheriff's deputy, the other a city cop in one of the 'burbs. (They are both gun rights advocates themselves and knowledgeable about the laws, otherwise I'd sit someplace else. :mrgreen: ) Anyhow, they both backed me up with Joe and told him to try to bone up, he was making a poor showing as a gun owner. You could see Joe mentally grappling with the concept of open carry being perfectly legal. The guy is pushing forty years old, he should already know stuff like this.

Anyhow the
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

The guy called me yesterday and wanted to book a class
I'm guessing he read the hand book realized how much he didn't know
Kudos to him for having an open mind

Hint for instructors, the sheriff gives the AG hand books out by the box if you tell them you are an instructor, and I staple my card inside the cover to include in each student pack, (along with an OFCC brochure)

I keep a few of them in the vehicles at all times for easy reference for just such occasions
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

Chuck wrote:Hint for instructors, the sheriff gives the AG hand books out by the box if you tell them you are an instructor, and I staple my card inside the cover to include in each student pack, (along with an OFCC brochure)

I keep a few of them in the vehicles at all times for easy reference for just such occasions
Tsk, tsk, tsk. Shameless self-promotion. :wink:
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

Shameless, that's me,,,,
Ain't activism fun?

MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Chuck wrote:Shameless, that's me,,,,
He feels shame. He just don't care! :shock: :P
MyWifeSaidYes
Bersa45

Post by Bersa45 »

Oberlin city park yesterday a non issue! :mrgreen: :roll:
OFCC member

3 seconds

Restraint when needed and action when required.

"Retreat? Hell, we're attacking in a different direction!" Major General O.P. Smith, November 1950.

Before a government can become a full-blown tyranny, the government must first disarm its citizens. The Founders of this nation, from their own experience, knew that when government goes bad, liberty evaporates and people die ... unless the people are armed. JPFO
troy bilt
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by troy bilt »

Got a High Five today at Kmart. Older lady she was all smiles :D :D
I have struggled with dyslexia my entire life. I know it's spelled wrong but thanks for pointing it out.
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

I was in AutoZone today buying a head gasket kit and this lady beside me said "What are you doing? This isn't the wild West! Doesn't that have to be concealed?"
I just told her "No, it doesn't, and it never has been in Ohio, not as long as we have been a state"
She came back with "I took the class, and the instructor said it has to be concealed if you are going to carry it"
I gave her a card and told her the instructor was mistaken. She looked at the card and said "Well, you oughtta know!"
She repeated what the instructor told her and all three guys behind the counter said "No, it's legal in Ohio" and she said something about what else did he tell her that was wrong.
So we conversed a bit.
Turns out she was taught that her certificate was good for only a year, and she thought she needed a new one to apply for her license since her class was just over a year ago, and she also thought that if a place served alcohol carrying was forbidden.

As we were preparing to part, she mentioned that she ought to take my course to get the real scoop on the laws, and I told her that if she brought the other guy's certificate I would run her through for half price, as long as she would let me scan it onto my computer.
We'll see if she makes the call,,,,
Ain't activism fun?

Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Wow Chuck, that is some story about the "other" instructor. If the lady's account of what's going on is true, we need to find a way to jerk the guy's chain, and no I don't mean that in any sort of pleasant way.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

She said it was one of those guys with the cheap and large classes
Over twenty students, two instructors at the range, where she only shot "three or four" rounds.

I hope I hear from her again
Experience tells me that only about one in three actually contact me after an encounter like this one,,,,
Ain't activism fun?

BB62

Post by BB62 »

Brian D. wrote:Wow Chuck, that is some story about the "other" instructor. If the lady's account of what's going on is true, we need to find a way to jerk the guy's chain, and no I don't mean that in any sort of pleasant way.
Definitely.

This is the kind of guy that give instructors a bad name, and, if I extrapolate his "teaching" methods accurately, puts students at risk too.
Yes, I do believe in open carry. An openly armed man is clear in his intentions. Concealed carriers are sneaks and skulkers and elitist, boot licking, political contribution making, running dog lackies of The Man. <wink> (thx grumpycoconut - OpenCarry.org)

Got Freedom?

Accountant, Computer & Management Consultant
Scuba Diver, NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor
dcludwig

Post by dcludwig »

Chuck wrote: I just told her "No, it doesn't, and it never has been in Ohio, not as long as we have been a state"
She came back with "I took the class, and the instructor said it has to be concealed if you are going to carry it"
I gave her a card and told her the instructor was mistaken. She looked at the card and said "Well, you oughtta know!".
Was that the "Free Beer and Pizza with Every Class" card, Chuck?? *sigh* @ anything to get a customer... :mrgreen:

I took my class at Olde English and was impressed with their thoroughness and the attention to students that was given as well as their saying "don't take every you are taught here as the LAW. Laws change and it behooves you to get a CURRENT copy of the AG Handbook at least once a year." (paraphrased this a little).

On a side note, I made the mistake of stopping by a friend's house and helping him install a new circuit into his breaker panel. He offered me some steak and a brew for my assistance which I gladly accepted (this was a little before 4:30 pm). Well, a little later, it's off to the CHL class - without the benefit of mints/gum/etc. WTH, I thought - ONE lite beer with steak and fries 3 hours before class? Plus, we were only handling the blue "dummy" guns, so what's the harm?

The Tuesday and Thursday classes were at night and THAT night, the one instructor must have picked up on what I had for dinner (beverage-wise) and during that night's class he made a comment to the affect of "Alcohol and firearms DO NOT MIX. If, during the range portion of this class, we suspect anyone had consumed alcohol, you will NOT be permitted to continue".

That burnt my ears a bit, but you know, it goes back to the "I only had a 'few beers'". If carrying, ONE is too many, IMHO, and I'm glad the instructor made that point very clear to the class. As I said, Instructors are instructors and their level of knowledge and teaching skills very with each. I'm certain many instructors who frequent this forum cringe when hearing what goes on or has been said in SOME classes in Ohio. I now see quite a few "CCW CLASSES GIVEN HERE" yard signs in the areas of OH where my job takes me. There's no guarantee of the quality of any of those classes, other than they have probably met the minimum requirements to do so.

Any noobs looking to get your CHL, might ask around here and you'll get some good references, I'm sure. I wonder if Angie's List covers CHL courses?? :-)
U.S. Army 1968 - 1971
5th SFGA, 1st SF
Republic of Vietnam, March 1969 to May 1971

ALWAYS be aware of the letter of the law, because THEY may not be! --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWLxPC6YKlA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
parbreaker

Post by parbreaker »

dcludwig wrote:
Chuck wrote: I just told her "No, it doesn't, and it never has been in Ohio, not as long as we have been a state"
I gave her a card and told her the instructor was mistaken. She looked at the card and said "Well, you oughtta know!".
Was that the "Free Beer and Pizza with Every Class" card, Chuck?? *sigh* @ anything to get a customer... :mrgreen:

I took my class at Olde English and was impressed with their thoroughness and the attention to students that was given as well as their saying "don't take every you are taught here as the LAW. Laws change and it behooves you to get a CURRENT copy of the AG Handbook at least once a year." (paraphrased this a little).

On a side note, I made the mistake of stopping by a friend's house and helping him install a new circuit into his breaker panel. He offered me some steak and a brew for my assistance which I gladly accepted (this was a little before 4:30 pm). Well, a little later, it's off to the CHL class - without the benefit of mints/gum/etc. WTH, I thought - ONE lite beer with steak and fries 3 hours before class? Plus, we were only handling the blue "dummy" guns, so what's the harm?

The Tuesday and Thursday classes were at night and THAT night, the one instructor must have picked up on what I had for dinner (beverage-wise) and during that night's class he made a comment to the affect of "Alcohol and firearms DO NOT MIX. If, during the range portion of this class, we suspect anyone had consumed alcohol, you will NOT be permitted to continue".

That burnt my ears a bit, but you know, it goes back to the "I only had a 'few beers'". If carrying, ONE is too many, IMHO, and I'm glad the instructor made that point very clear to the class. As I said, Instructors are instructors and their level of knowledge and teaching skills very with each. I'm certain many instructors who frequent this forum cringe when hearing what goes on or has been said in SOME classes in Ohio. I now see quite a few "CCW CLASSES GIVEN HERE" yard signs in the areas of OH where my job takes me. There's no guarantee of the quality of any of those classes, other than they have probably met the minimum requirements to do so.

Any noobs looking to get your CHL, might ask around here and you'll get some good references, I'm sure. I wonder if Angie's List covers CHL courses?? :-)

I also had my CCW course at Olde English, and even though my information is a tad outdated (I took it in 2004) I found out later as I talked to people that they ran a pretty good class, overall.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
- George Washington