Cleveland's Weapons Laws

A sub-forum for the purpose of discussing ORC 9.68 compliance. This sub-forum is strictly for the discussion of progress in individual cities and their respective parks.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Forum rules
This sub-forum is strictly for the purpose of submitting of, and status updates related to, ORC 9.68 compliance. This could mean park bans, open carry bans, or anything that is a compliance issue. Note the format in which original threads were created. We'll track each individual case here and post updates if assistance is needed, etc. You may start a new thread here to notify us of a non-compliant scenario. Please try to research contact information for each city, village, etc, Email, fax, and postal addresses are great. Digital photos of infractions (Signs) are ideal. With limited exceptions this is NOT a discussion forum.

READ THIS BEFORE POSTING
AlanM

Cleveland's Weapons Laws

Post by AlanM »

The Westlake thread caused me to do a search of Cleveland's Codes.
How much of this is invalid under 9.68?

Chapter 628 — Possession or Sale of Assault Weapons Prohibited
The definitions are most interesting. :shock:
20 round mag. limit.
Calico .22 illegal under this. As is, of course, the 9mm Calico.

Chapter 627 — Weapons and Explosives
Definition of "automatic weapon" less stringent than "assault weapon" in 628.
627.10 Possessing Certain Weapons at or About Public Places ---
627.12 Voluntary Disposition of Handguns -- Get rid of your crime guns here
627.14 Sale of Long Bladed Pocket Knives -- Pocket knife registration
627.16 Unlawful Display of Weapons
(a) No person, firm or corporation shall exhibit for sale in showcases or show windows any revolvers, daggers, stilettoes, brass or iron knuckles and billies, or display any signs, posters, cartoons or display cards, suggesting the sale of such weapons.
(b) Whoever violates this section is guilty of unlawful display of weapons, a misdemeanor of the first degree.
(Ord. No. 1020-76. Passed 6-14-76, eff. 6-18-76)
Why there are no gun shops in Cleveland.

627.22 Law Enforcement Officers Possessing or Using Nonissued Firearms on Duty
Question - Does the CPD issue BUGS???

This one is an interesting read:
630.01 Criminal Activity Nuisances Declared

(a) Activities, as defined in any of the following Codified Ordinances, occurring on properties in the City, and engaged in by an owner, occupant or invitee of the owner or occupant of the property, are declared to be nuisance activities. To be a nuisance activity, a criminal conviction is not necessary. There must be probable cause to believe that the activity occurred.
Looks like it you annoy the cops three times in a month without a conviction it will cost you.

Chapter 627A — POSSESSION OF FIREARMS BY CHILDREN

Chapter 674 — Handgun Possession and Sale
674.04 Handgun Owner's Identification Card; Application; Prohibitions
674.05 Registration of Handguns; Application; Fee
674.09 Handgun Dealer's Records - In addition to records required by BATFE(AM)

Chapter 621 — Offenses Against Persons

As an aside:
It seems that Cleveland decided not to worry about nuclear attack and not prepare for it.

http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/cleveland ... er_17.html
§ 110-1 Civil Defense Expenditures

That based upon the currently available scientific and medical information which overwhelmingly demonstrates that there is no realistic, practical and effective protection against the effects of a nuclear or thermonuclear attack directed at civilian population centers, such as Cleveland, and that the only alternative to any civil defense measures is the eventual elimination of nuclear or thermonuclear weapons, the appropriation and/or expenditure of public funds by the City of Cleveland for any civil defense preparedness measures against nuclear or thermonuclear attack, including, but not limited to, plans, programs, studies and the acquisition, purchase or lease of buildings, equipment, supplies or services used or to be used in connection with such civil defense measures, are hereby declared to be wasteful and unlawful expenditures of public funds and not in the public interest and any such appropriation and/or expenditure for such civil defense measures is hereby forever prohibited.
(Effective November 2, 1982)
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
dclaarjr

Re: Cleveland's Weapons Laws

Post by dclaarjr »

AlanM wrote:
§ 110-1 Civil Defense Expenditures

That based upon the currently available scientific and medical information which overwhelmingly demonstrates that there is no realistic, practical and effective protection against the effects of a nuclear or thermonuclear attack directed at civilian population centers, such as Cleveland, and that the only alternative to any civil defense measures is the eventual elimination of nuclear or thermonuclear weapons, the appropriation and/or expenditure of public funds by the City of Cleveland for any civil defense preparedness measures against nuclear or thermonuclear attack, including, but not limited to, plans, programs, studies and the acquisition, purchase or lease of buildings, equipment, supplies or services used or to be used in connection with such civil defense measures, are hereby declared to be wasteful and unlawful expenditures of public funds and not in the public interest and any such appropriation and/or expenditure for such civil defense measures is hereby forever prohibited.
(Effective November 2, 1982)
I didn't know the city of Cleveland had nuclear weapons.
NRA Certified Instructor for Basic Handgun and Personal Protection.
OFCC Member
4 County Conservation Club Member
US Army Veteran
GWC

Post by GWC »

Of course not, they eliminated them!
"The police are not here to create disorder. They are here to preserve disorder".
Mayor Richard Daley, 1968

I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

................So in 1976 you could display and sell SEMI AUTO'S ? :shock:
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
Ring

Post by Ring »

627.22 Law Enforcement Officers Possessing or Using Nonissued Firearms on Duty
Question - Does the CPD issue BUGS???
no, but the give the cops a list of S&W guns they can use, a VARY short list, and even tell them what ammo they can use, example,

38 can ONLY be lead round nose ammo,,,,, nice dont you think?
charben
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by charben »

AlanM wrote:The Westlake thread caused me to do a search of Cleveland's Codes.
How much of this is invalid under 9.68?

Chapter 628 — Possession or Sale of Assault Weapons Prohibited
This would appear to be in violation of 9.68
AlanM wrote:
627.16 Unlawful Display of Weapons
(a) No person, firm or corporation shall exhibit for sale in showcases or show windows any revolvers, daggers, stilettoes, brass or iron knuckles and billies, or display any signs, posters, cartoons or display cards, suggesting the sale of such weapons.
(b) Whoever violates this section is guilty of unlawful display of weapons, a misdemeanor of the first degree.
(Ord. No. 1020-76. Passed 6-14-76, eff. 6-18-76)
Why there are no gun shops in Cleveland.
This MIGHT be in violation. 9.68 does allow for regulation of the sale of guns in residential areas...but doesn't seem to allow for a city to prohibit such display.
Chris

Crushing the First Amendment, one post at a time!

"If you walk out of your house carrying your gun (openly or otherwise) and you DO NOT fully understand the law, then you are NOT completely armed..."
DisgruntledCitizen
Account Deactivated

Post by DisgruntledCitizen »

Cleveland's police department is a mess...

A while back I called their main phone number for recruiting... The number had been disconnected, although this was still the number presented on their official website.

I then made a number of other calls, ultimately getting through to a message service, at which time I left a message, clearly stating I wanted information on the POLICE department.

A few days later I received a letter thanking me for my interest in the FIRE department and informing me that I would be updated later when the next exams/tests were to be given. I then called the number listed to explain that there must have been some mistake, a person who I believe was a battalion fire chief or some middle-ranking fire official told me that I should just call the non-emergency police number (which he proceeded to give me)...

I then called the number he had just given me, receiving a message that the number had been disconnected/changed...

I couldn't, in good conscience (and wouldn't) enforce such draconian gun laws on citizens anyway. So I don't know how long I'd have lasted in Cleveland before I crossed the wrong politicial/official and wound up purged.
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. - Thomas Jefferson

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death! - Patrick Henry