Pennsylvania License to Carry

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Scott

Pennsylvania License to Carry

Post by Scott »

Just came in the mail today (8/3). Short and easy application, $20 PMO and photocopies of my Ohio CHL and DL. I mailed those out on 7/26... :D
The Sheriff of Centre Co. PA., Denny Nau, will issue Via mail to Non Residents of Pennsylvania. (You must have a permit from your state of Residence if your state issues permits) Residents of Pennsylvania must apply to the sheriff of the county they live in. Instructions are available from the Site below.

Centre County Sheriff
Centre County Courthouse
Bellefonte PA 16823-1488
(814) 355-6803

http://county.centreconnect.org/211.htm
Blip!
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

congrats. Seems painless enough, I think I'll go ahead and do it, thanks for the info.
Life is precious, Got Sig?
Sig P250 Compact .40s&w
Willy P

Post by Willy P »

If you do NH for another $20 you will have carry in 30 states from what the Packing.org license tool finds. The PA took 7 days door to door and NH should be about the same and is as easy or maybe a bit easier.
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

Had mine for about a year....

I just hope Danny Nau never retires - who knows what will replace him.

The only downside is that Danny Nau is mailing you a piece of paper with your picture taped to it.

However, as I understand it, you can copy (& reduce) the thing for "carry" and put the good one in the vault someplace, or laminate the original.

Some PA Counties issue "credit cards" like OH.

(But they will take a check.... Or at least Sheriff Nau will....)

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

http://county.centreconnect.org/sheriff ... cation.htm

do we use the same application we used for ohio?

I'll get on this and send it out tomorrow
Sig P250 Compact .40s&w
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

Aaron wrote:http://county.centreconnect.org/sheriff ... cation.htm

do we use the same application we used for ohio?

I'll get on this and send it out tomorrow
Aaron:

Close....

Download the PDF on the referenced web page, and then fill it out.

Send that, along with the $20, the pictures, copy of your license, etc., and a photocopy of your OH CHL to Sheriff Nau. You can use the same picture as is on your CHL. OH wants that pic to be fairly recent, but PA doesn't seem to care, which makes using the same picture a good choice - if you don't have another one, you can probably get one from whoever took the photo. I used a "passport" photo service operated by a friend of mine, and made a couple copies myself to send PA.

I have no idea what PA does with the application - background checks, etc., other than cashing the check.... (It was a company check, come to think of it. A year ago June....)

I understand that if you want to drive to a PA SO and do this in person it may take two visits.

The only thing wrong with all of this is that PA apparently won't issue a non-resident for people who can't get one in their home state if the home state has a permit/license system.

PA also issues a non-resident Concealed Carry permit for hunters (all kinds of limitations) for $5. ODNR issued regulations forbidding Concealed Carry while hunting.... Go figure.
Stu.

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

All the info is much appreciated, thanks! :D

I took pics with my digital cam and printed them out using the good photo paper for my Ohio license, I still have 3 or 4 left so I have the picture thing covered. If I cant find them I'll hit Kinkos/Fedex, they take pics.

I just checked which states PA and NH open up for carry, and its definitely worth it, thanks again. 8)
Sig P250 Compact .40s&w
Scott

Post by Scott »

I already had Florida along with my Ohio permit, so I really didn't gain anything (Statewise) by getting my Pennsyltucky permit except: from what I have read on this forum (email version) and on Packing.org, I cannot carry outside of my vehicle or my hotel room with an out-of-state permit (Florida in this case.) My family and I will be traveling to Pittsburgh soon, and I am there on business several times per year. In fact,
I heard just today that there are places in PIT where its easy to find yourself having NO business being there unarmed! :)
Blip!
ghiapaul

Carry in Pittsburgh.

Post by ghiapaul »

With all the one way streets in Pittsburgh, you can be in a very bad area quickly, and not know how to get out. I have had my PA license for over 3 years and got it primarily to cover my butt in Pittsburgh. I have gotten myself in some BAD areas of that city by making a wrong turn.
JSK333

Post by JSK333 »

When I applied through Centre County a couple years ago, the photo was optional. The license itself even says valid without photo. Plus, when it came, it was even laminated!

So maybe he has changed things?
Solomon
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

JSK333 wrote:When I applied through Centre County a couple years ago, the photo was optional. The license itself even says valid without photo. Plus, when it came, it was even laminated!

So maybe he has changed things?
Solomon:

Probably....

I wish they would photo-reduce and laminate the thing, but it's pretty easy to do it yourself. Apparently the paper or card is just considered a "heads up" for any LEO you might encounter, and PA's computer system is the final authority. Which is as it should be, since you could get revoked and not turn in the paperwork "yet"....

It's pretty much just a tax, IMHO....

Regards,
Stu.

יזכר לא עד פעם
CMiddleton

NH and PA

Post by CMiddleton »

Well, I mailed out the NH today (Friday, August 5th) and the PA will go out tomorrow after I get my passport photos at Kinkos or Walgreens.

Wish I could have dropped them in the same box on the same day, off to the races so to speak.

So for you guys who have multiple licenses, how do you organize them. Too much stuff in the wallet is a bad thing, a thick wallet hurts my back after a while. What are you guys doing in keeping yours together?
It can be difficult to remember that your mission was to drain the swamp, when you are up to your butt in alligators.
Willy P

Post by Willy P »

A fat billfold truely is a litteral pain in th butt. I also am worried that if I would be forced to give my wallet up in a robbery that should they take the time to look right then that they would see I am a CCW holder and my suprise hole card would be exposed! I have thought about keeping a few bucks in my wallet and using a moneyclip/ID holder in a front pocket for the CCWs and OH driver's license. I would REALLY like to see how others on here are either handling it now or are intending to rearrange to in the future.
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

Willy P wrote:A fat billfold truely is a litteral pain in th butt. I also am worried that if I would be forced to give my wallet up in a robbery that should they take the time to look right then that they would see I am a CCW holder and my suprise hole card would be exposed! I have thought about keeping a few bucks in my wallet and using a moneyclip/ID holder in a front pocket for the CCWs and OH driver's license. I would REALLY like to see how others on here are either handling it now or are intending to rearrange to in the future.
I use two wallets. One with a few bucks and some not-too-essential stuff stored in the normal place, and another with the good stuff elsewhere.

My PA "original" is in the first wallet, but it's pretty well hidden.

Regards,
Stu.

יזכר לא עד פעם
Scott

Post by Scott »

SMMAssociates wrote:
I use two wallets. One with a few bucks and some not-too-essential stuff stored in the normal place, and another with the good stuff elsewhere.

My PA "original" is in the first wallet, but it's pretty well hidden.

Regards,
I've been working on putting together a "throwdown" wallet--maybe some cancelled credit cards, some flash bills and other stuff in a well-used billfold. Might buy some time if, in the unlikely event I get totally caught with my pants around my ankles. :lol:
Blip!