OFCC Holiday Meet & Greet - Cleveland

Want to talk about IDPA, IPSC, or other competition events you are involved in
or are interested in participating in? Want to know if anyone is going to a local gun show? Wondering when the next OFCC event is? All that and more is in this section!

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Benjamin.Altose
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: OFCC Holiday Meet & Greet - Cleveland

Post by Benjamin.Altose »

freedom_fighter777 wrote:By telling gun owners that they shouldn’t open carry to a gun rights meeting is ludicrous and harmfull. If I can't even open carry at at run rights event how are people supposed to open carry in Ohio?
Its not a gun rights meeting. Its to be social and meet up with friends for the holiday season.
For the last event we had at Cracker Barrell in Sheffield, I didnt even have a gun with me, since I came straight from work. Does that mean I should have been asked to leave dinner?
It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

יזכר לא עד פעם
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

OldManTod wrote:Freedom Fighter you have an excellent point, perhaps you can hold an open carry meet and greet that can be coordinated with some folks from: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum43/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; the week before or after the current Ohioans for Concealed Carry Meet and Greet?

Also, I can't recall if there is a formal organization called Ohioans for Open Carry - I think that with the number of folks here who support that, quite the statement can be made.

Great idea Freedom, thank you for continuing to make a difference, please feel free to make everybody aware when you have the organization established, I am sure you will get alot of support here.

Well OMT, there is/was a group down here in the SW called Open Carry Ohio. The guy who started it got a website going and everything. http://ocohio.myfreeforum.org Then he more or less disappeared off the face of the Earth. No reply to phone calls, e-mails, whatever. You can look at the site and see how long it was active, and how "many" participants we had. Oh, the memories! :roll:

Freedom Fighter, since I "own" that website about as much as anybody else now, it's yours! Merry Christmas, Happy Hannukah, Crazy Kwanza, Rockin' Ramadan, good luck with your gift!
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
jgarvas
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by jgarvas »

freedom_fighter777 wrote: Concealed Carry is a Privilege granted to you by your government. Open Carry is a Right in Ohio.
Unfortunately, it is not. It isn't as regulated as concealed carry, but it is by no means the "right" that you try to make it. That's like saying "concealed carry is a right" in your home because you don't need a license to do it. If you were right, you'd be able to exercise that open carry right in your car while you drive around Ohio. It is, in fact, prohibited in a vehicle. A more factual statement would be that carrying a firearm openly is in some respects less regulated than carrying one concealed.
Think about the impact it would have if every gun owner in Ohio Open Carried every day. Open Carry wouldn’t be an issue.
Our opponents often say "Imagine a world with no guns" and yet we know neither of the above phenomena will occur.

Until they tried to open carry while they drive somewhere, get on a bus, hail a cab, or the right to carry a gun into private establishments became strictly prohibited all over the State of Ohio as a knee-jerk reaction to the activity. Businesses that today don't post because the issue never comes to mind would prohibit all of us if we had a firearm and you would simultaneously.

All of our work to create a concealed carry system would be nullified by the need to open carry. We've spent years with the anti-gunners telling us "Why don't you just carry them openly?" and now that we can lawfully carry them concealed our own friends want us to carry them openly? The purpose of concealed carry is to be able to conceal, to be able to blend into society without sticking out like a sore thumb, to be able to go about your life capable of protecting yourself without having to deal with the controversy of your "conversation starter" on your hip.

I appreciate your tenacity, but your argument that we are ashamed of ourselves has no merit here. We were the first people in Ohio to schedule "in your face" open carry walks, so to try and accuse us of being opposed to it is silly. I've open carried quite often, but I prefer the tactical benefits of concealed carry. I can only be so "situationally aware" in life without going insane, and by concealing I have the advantage and control over my firearm that I (and many here) desire.
By telling gun owners that they shouldn’t open carry to a gun rights meeting is ludicrous and harmfull. If I can't even open carry at at run rights event how are people supposed to open carry in Ohio?
As has been said before, this isn't a gun rights event. This is a Holiday Social meeting for friends to get together and enjoy themselves. If you want to debate the finer points of open carry, we have a forum for that here that you're more than welcome to use. If you want to debate the finer points of open carry with me and others in the area, come on out to dinner tomorrow.
Jeff Garvas, President
Ohioans For Concealed Carry

Contrary to a popular belief when I brag about OFCC accomplishments I'm not looking for your thank you or personal recognition. I'd much prefer you send me an email telling me when you are going to get involved in doing what I've been doing since 1999. We are only as effective as we make ourselves. We need the next generation of OFCC to step to the plate.

Is that you?

To Contact Me: Use This Form and pick my name.
jgarvas
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by jgarvas »

If you are attending the Cleveland M&G please PM me (with your head count).

It looks like I'll get out there before Dan and I'd like to give the restaurant a heads up around 3pm and I'm not sure what the committed rate is. I will check my PMs at 3pm tomorrow and call the restaurant.

Thanks!
Jeff Garvas, President

Contrary to a popular belief when I brag about OFCC accomplishments I'm not looking for your thank you or personal recognition. I'd much prefer you send me an email telling me when you are going to get involved in doing what I've been doing since 1999. We are only as effective as we make ourselves. We need the next generation of OFCC to step to the plate.

Is that you?

Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

Benjamin.Altose wrote:That's fine. Just as long as you'll be at the next MGSE... unless you have some girly campout scheduled. :lol:
Well, if Jake would just consult me first, it would be no problem....
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
FORMER95BRAVO

Post by FORMER95BRAVO »

I mostly lurk on the boards, I just purchased an annual membership. I would like to take my wife out for some fine Crackerbarrel food. How will I recognize the group? Is there a secret handshake, password?
jgarvas
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by jgarvas »

FORMER95BRAVO wrote:I mostly lurk on the boards, I just purchased an annual membership. I would like to take my wife out for some fine Crackerbarrel food. How will I recognize the group? Is there a secret handshake, password?
I'll tell the folks up front anyone asking for the OFCC table is with us.
Jeff Garvas, President

Is that you?

Teknorat

Post by Teknorat »

Welp, I'm full :D great meeting everyone!
I don't like guns... I love 'em.
jgarvas
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by jgarvas »

Teknorat wrote:Welp, I'm full :D great meeting everyone!
Over 30 people showed up in Cleveland tonight, blowing away our estimate of 10 to 15! (The table for 15 I requested was full at 5:55)

It's after 8 and there is still a small crowd here chatting.

Great to meet all of you tonight! Especially those of you who drove in from the far east side.
Jeff Garvas, President

Is that you?

bluez4u

Post by bluez4u »

A great time! Nice to meet some great folks!
david2a

Post by david2a »

Oy, it was great to meet and greet you folks tonight. Let's get a Facebook Group going asap, and I'm sre our next meetings will be even bigger.

David Reich
“I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend” ~~~ J.R.R TOLKIEN

"If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot" ~~~ Joe Deters, Hamilton County Prosecutor

"Feeling safe is like being safe, only different." ~~~ UNKNOWN
OldManTod
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by OldManTod »

david2a wrote:Oy, it was great to meet and greet you folks tonight. Let's get a Facebook Group going asap, and I'm sre our next meetings will be even bigger.

David Reich
Hey David, we already have one that one of the members setup - do a quick facebook search for it and you will be able to join.

T
"I feel sorry for you people who do not drink, when you wake up in the morning, that is as good as you are going to feel all day." - Dean
Benjamin.Altose
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Benjamin.Altose »

jgarvas wrote:[quote="Great to meet all of you tonight! Especially those of you who drove in from the far east side.
Geauga County is the best.

I had a good time and look forward to doing it again.
It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

יזכר לא עד פעם
cmarks03

Post by cmarks03 »

OldManTod wrote:
david2a wrote:Oy, it was great to meet and greet you folks tonight. Let's get a Facebook Group going asap, and I'm sre our next meetings will be even bigger.

David Reich
Hey David, we already have one that one of the members setup - do a quick facebook search for it and you will be able to join.

T
Didn't know that... Truth be told, I didn't even think of it. Just joined!

Back on topic... I have been lurking in this thread since it was kind of 50/50 if I would be in Cleveland or Toledo for this weekend. Toledo won.
- Chris
"I are a engineer"
"I'm not fat - I'm grossly overdesigned" (Morne)
"People can see your gun. Just be sure to reserve the view of the muzzle for the really bad ones." (muxtech)

Though I do have Progressive insurance, IANAL and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. This is my $.02; remember you paid less than that for it.
NordicRX8

Post by NordicRX8 »

OldManTod wrote:

David Reich

T
OMT,

Did a search and didn't see one specific for OFCC, are you talking about the Students for campus CC?

If not can you provide linkage? Thanks!

Went to the Toldeo Meet and greet. Had a great time. Looked at the other threads... sounds like everyone else did too... although we NW ohioians had the best turnout. :P neener neener neener!
Suppose the Second amendment said "A well-educated electorate being necessary for self-governance in a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed." Is there anyone who would suggest that means only registered voters have a right to read? – Robert Levy

A gun in the hands of a bad man is a very dangerous thing. A gun in the hands of a good person is no danger to anyone except the bad guys... - Charlton Heston