forum ettiquete question.

This area is for discussions that do not fit into the formal firearms discussions of the website. Common sense and non-controversial contributions are expected. Certain topics are forbidden. See the forum rules for more details.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

mike1972

forum ettiquete question.

Post by mike1972 »

I just joined and have been perusing the various threads and posts... My question is this...

If you see a thread that is a bit old, and you want to comment on it, or you want to ask a similar question...

Should you bump the thread, or post a new thread?

Either way seems kind of like a lose lose situation...

Which is the lesser of two eveils here...

Any input appreciated.
dan_sayers

Post by dan_sayers »

User discretion advised. If you have a question about what constitutes plain sight, it's probably best to leave as much info on the subject together in the same topic. If however you'd like a holster for your gun, making your own topic so that the answers are specific to your wants/needs, I think a new thread is appropriate. Either way, the moderatory team can reverse most any error in judgement.
"Moderation in the defense of liberty is no virtue." - Ann Coulter
"Liberalism is part of a religious disorder that demands a belief that life is controllable." - Ann Coulter
By their fruits ye shall know them.
mike1972

Post by mike1972 »

Thanks. Just trying to make sure that don't get off to another bad start here on the boards, lol... :)
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Well I might be sticking my neck out here... but I would think bumping an old thread up to prominence again would be the way to go unless you are going to be digging at old wounds. In that case I would let sleeping dogs lie.YMMV
Never Have So Many Owed So Much To So Few.
mike1972

Post by mike1972 »

I have noticed though that some of the threads that aren't too far down the first page tend to still be pretty old...

from here on out I will check to see how old it is before posting to a thread...

Just used to really fast moving boards I guess.
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

Mike:

(Welcome!)

Tagging onto an old thread will cause it to "light up" as active. It does no other harm.

Odds are that if "I" was involved in (or am monitoring) an older thread, I'll get notified, and drop by to see what the new material is.

(I think most of us use the "see messages posted since your last visit" option.)

If you're just commenting on an old thread - "me too" sort of thing - it might be better not to bother posting at all unless you've got a major contribution to make. But don't be shy. If in doubt, post....

Nominally, there are no stupid questions, although we have a squad prepared to offer stupid answers, just in case they're called for. You'll figure out who they are soon enough. :twisted:

It's also particularly important to post on an old thread if you've got the answer! Sometimes we wander off before the light comes on.

Don't forget, too, that much of what we're discussing is based on a bit of law that was intentionally drafted to be obscure, and to entrap us. We're often guessing....

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
Sasquatch.45

Post by Sasquatch.45 »

Nominally, there are no stupid questions, although we have a squad prepared to offer stupid answers, just in case they're called for. You'll figure out who they are soon enough….

For some reason, A certain spud with a plastic light saber comes to mind…

:twisted:
No law of prohibition ever prevented a crime of violence, They simply provide a framework for punishment for those who fail to commit suicide after going postal.

The devil never made me do anything…However, he did have a couple of really cool ideals…
Redhorse

Post by Redhorse »

Hey...I can give stupid answers with the best of them... :lol:
Freedom isn't free!