OCing with a rifle.

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Teknorat

OCing with a rifle.

Post by Teknorat »

Has anyone here ever OC'ed with a rifle? Not very practical for self defense I know, but one hell of a way to flex the right to carry. Something about shopping at walmart with an AK on my back appeals to me.
D-Day
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by D-Day »

In the eyes of the public (and cops), a rifle usually means a pending massacre in a situation like that. No way I'd do it in this state.
Teknorat

Post by Teknorat »

So it's one of those rights-so-long-as-you-don't-exercise-them rights?
I don't like guns... I love 'em.
dan dan the XD40 man

Post by dan dan the XD40 man »

man, thatd be a big step
Poop!
Michael

Post by Michael »

The problem is that a rifle is an offensive weapon, whereas a handgun is a defense weapon. Our laws say you're only allowed to be defensive, not offensive.

Put another way...

An assumption can be made that a person carrying a handgun is not out "looking for a fight." He or she is carrying a handgun in case they find themselves in the unfortunate situation where they must be defense. A rifle, by contrast, is something you take to a fight. When you carry a rifle, there is an assumption that you know a fight is going to ensue, which is a job normally handled by law enforcement.

BTW: I'm not saying I necessarily agree with this interpretation. (Personally, I have no problem with someone carrying a rifle.) I'm just trying to look at it from the perspective of a prosecutor or jury.
The rifle is God's gift to the rifleman. - Fred
Morne
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Morne »

Teknorat wrote:So it's one of those rights-so-long-as-you-don't-exercise-them rights?
Kind of like the right to shout incoherently.

Consider how the average street preacher is viewed by the common man.

What was it that Ron White said? "I had the right to remain silent, but I lacked the ability." You have the right to carry that AK anywhere you want, but everybody else has the right to ostracize you for doing so.
Thus spoke Zarathustra.

Footsoldier in the Conservative Insurrection of the GOP.

Remember, only you can prevent big government!
Teknorat

Post by Teknorat »

As I have no desire to be held up by the PD for a few hours I don't plan on doing it any time soon. However remember why we encourage people to get Ohio Concealed Carry Permits and not just a Florida one...
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

While perfectly OK, it wouldn't go over at Wal-Mart. While their corporate policy is to NOT post, they will ask anyone who is OCing to leave if anyone complains. I know several people on my forum (FSW) out in Wyoming who have had such run ins with Wal-Mart. They may have OCed in the store a dozen times prior but if one day the manager gets a complaint, they are asked to leave. Come back the next day or next week and nary a word is said if no one complains.
McM

Post by McM »

I've often wondered about long gun OC. If some terrorist AHs do multiple strikes on US targets, would a law abiding citizen be justified in taking a rifle/shotgun/carbine with them in the course of their daily business? Seriously, if strikes go on over the course of days, would it be 'prudent' to arm ones' self in order to try to avert such incidents, or to defend ones' family? Or will we all be banned from even CCing?
Not one of the " 'more-equal animals' ".

Hippies make me laugh. Bleeding hippies make me laugh REALLY HARD! -Morne
Scavok

Post by Scavok »

McM wrote:I've often wondered about long gun OC. If some terrorist AHs do multiple strikes on US targets, would a law abiding citizen be justified in taking a rifle/shotgun/carbine with them in the course of their daily business? Seriously, if strikes go on over the course of days, would it be 'prudent' to arm ones' self in order to try to avert such incidents, or to defend ones' family? Or will we all be banned from even CCing?
Depends. E.g., has martial law been declared? Has the National Guard been called out? If so--and since "profiling" is illegal--Joe Citizen would not be free to keep and bear arms in public IMO. And it may be better to simply stay at home and ride the storm out. Still--being a Minute Man at ones home and vehicle would be prudent. :wink:
Last edited by Scavok on Tue May 27, 2008 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My sig line violated TOS so now it is gone...
McM

Post by McM »

Scavok wrote:Joe Citizen would not be free to keep and bear arms in pubic IMO. A
Especially a Glock... :lol:
Not one of the " 'more-equal animals' ".

Hippies make me laugh. Bleeding hippies make me laugh REALLY HARD! -Morne
Scavok

Post by Scavok »

McM wrote:
Scavok wrote:Joe Citizen would not be free to keep and bear arms in pubic IMO. A
Especially a Glock... :lol:
That's what happens when Scavok attempts a serious post. Scavok should stick to shtick and puns, thereby avoiding embarrassing Freudian slips.
My sig line violated TOS so now it is gone...
cashman966
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by cashman966 »

Teknorat wrote:Has anyone here ever OC'ed with a rifle? Not very practical for self defense I know, but one hell of a way to flex the right to carry. Something about shopping at walmart with an AK on my back appeals to me.
Illuminaughty is that you? :shock:
Ignorant or Stupid, I'm not sure which is worse. If someone were stupid, at least they'd have an excuse for all the dumb things they say.

Pass the Peace Pipe I need another hit

IANAL and neither are most people on this board, its just shows more with some than others.
Teknorat

Post by Teknorat »

No that's not me. I'm not talking about actually carrying a rifle for self defense, merely as an exercise in exercising 2nd amendment rights. I realise using it for self defense would never be feasible or safe.

Not to say there have never been situations in which a law abiding person walking around with a rifle would not have been advantageous. (North Hollywood shootout comes to mind.) And yes there is always the whole terrorist thing.

The other situation would be one in which the government did something so atrocious they had to be removed. (Shh never mention what the second amendment is really for :roll: )

I'm just a simple guy who dreams of a day when I can walk around town with a rifle on my back and no one bats an eye. Until then I'll keep on OCing my handgun to raise awareness of our rights to others.
NordicRX8

Post by NordicRX8 »

Teknorat wrote:I'm just a simple guy who dreams of a day when I can walk around town with a rifle on my back and no one bats an eye. Until then I'll keep on OCing my handgun to raise awareness of our rights to others.
Unfortunately, you'd have to move to the Middle East or Africa to do that (at the current time). As someone else stated, the rifle is an offensive weapon, and unless the town you live in is under Marshall Law and you're wearing some kind of uniform... you'd be labeled a crazy person and have a bunch of LEOs screaming at you to "drop the weapon" while they had their guns aimed at you.
Suppose the Second amendment said "A well-educated electorate being necessary for self-governance in a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed." Is there anyone who would suggest that means only registered voters have a right to read? – Robert Levy

A gun in the hands of a bad man is a very dangerous thing. A gun in the hands of a good person is no danger to anyone except the bad guys... - Charlton Heston