anyone carrying kel-tec's 3AT?

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

XD-shawn

anyone carrying kel-tec's 3AT?

Post by XD-shawn »

i'm thinking about picking one up soon and was looking for some feedback on how the gun performs/carrys, i was thinking about getting the clip that mounts to the side of the gun so i could just tuck it in my front pocket, if i get it i'll more than likely be carrying it as a backup or when wearing very light summer clothing. Oh another thing, do these have safteys? i looked at some pictures of them and couldn't see one. how's everyone else carrying this lil sucker?

thanks

ps i'm a left handed :wink:
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Kel-tec

Post by Javelin Man »

Kel-tec believes you are the greatest safety. It only goes bang when you pull the trigger, and there's nothing stopping you from doing that. No safety.

I carry theP11 and the P32. It is said the P3AT is like shooting a credit card; very little to hold with a semi-potent round. The .32 is easier to hold in the same package. The P11 is punishing. All these guns are VERY lightweight. P11 is 14 oz. the P3AT is 7.2 and the P32 is 6.6 oz.

I carry my P32 in a front pocket with a pocket holster. Rule #1, always use a pocket holster in a pocket. rule #2, don't put anything else in the same pocket as your gun. I've heard good thiungs about the belt clip, but I want something protecting the trigger at all times, especially a gun with no safety.

Run many rounds of different ammo through it. These guns are ammo-sensitive. What gun gun cycles flawlessly has another choking every time. My P32 loves WWB, my P11 hates it. My P32 has light strikes on S&B ammo, the P11 enjoys it and punishes my hand. You'll find what you gun likes and doesn't like. A P3AT unfortunately isn't a gun to take to the range and fire 200 rounds in one sitting. Most people can't get through 50; it hurts that much.

Get one, enjoy it, check out www.ktog.org and learn lots.

And ignore whatever Petroforgov says. :lol:
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
charles1198

Post by charles1198 »

I 've had mine for about 2 years now. Over 3000 rounds through it with no problems except with Winchester ammo. No safety, but it does have a LONG, fairly heavy trigger pull. It won't go off by itself! The clip is good, but still carry it with the trigger covered (an empty pocket is fine). Being a lefty shouldn't matter, but if you find yourself accidentally hitting the mag release, it can be ground down. Another thing just to be aware of -- this gun has no slide lock., so it won't lock back on an empty mag. I've never missed it. The gun isn't as punishing as some say...I used to shoot 200 rounds at a sitting with it, but that DID make my hand a bit sore. Now, I shoot about 50-100 rounds at a time and use a Hogue grip sleeve. As Javelin Man recommended, KTOG is an excellent resource.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Two things, I am still waiting for mine to come in and I wish Glock or Kahr would make something to compete with it.
Never Have So Many Owed So Much To So Few.
appliance brad

Post by appliance brad »

My wife has one she carries in a DeSantis Nemesis holster. I agree that you NEED a holster.

Pam's gun operates well but you cannot limp wrist this gun and expect it to cycle. Also, do not expect to shoot it a lot. After 20 rounds or so, the checkering starts to abrade your hand and the recoil makes it sting. Also, these guns are not made to run ox after box of ammo through them. When the NRA's Woman's Outlook reviewed it, they said to expect pin wear after 500 rounds. I'd agree that is about right.

I look at the P3AT as the gun to carry when you can't hide anything else or to carry it as a BUG. I wouldn't want to use it as my EDC but when you need to conceal a center fire handgun in clothing that does not lend itself to concealment, it's just the ticket.
Alcohol, tobacco, firearms and explosives should be a 24/7 convenience store, not a government agency.

www.firearmsalliance.org
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

I got a case of Santa Barbara ammo from SOG for my P3AT. You can really tell when I set it off! When I use Winchester White Box or any other garden variety ammunition, I can put a hundred rounds through it. With the Santa Barbara I am content to quit after about 25 (okay, I'm ready to quit well before 25!).

I think the Santa Barbara is the hottest load available in .380acp. I would never rely on a .380 for anything other than backup, but that ammo in this little gun should surely do the trick.

[Dan, if you insist on carrying .380s, you really should consider getting some of this stuff.]
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
dan_sayers

Post by dan_sayers »

tommcnaughton wrote:[Dan, if you insist on carrying .380s, you really should consider getting some of this stuff.]
Link?
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

dan_sayers wrote:
tommcnaughton wrote:[Dan, if you insist on carrying .380s, you really should consider getting some of this stuff.]
Link?
Your wish is my command.http://www.southernohiogun.com/ammo2.html
dan_sayers

Post by dan_sayers »

Thanks, Wayne. Holy crap that's good stuff! Do these guys allow pickup? I'm possibly going to be in sourthern Ohio next week.
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

dan_sayers wrote:Thanks, Wayne. Holy crap that's good stuff! Do these guys allow pickup? I'm possibly going to be in sourthern Ohio next week.
Yup, be smart -- buy a case. This stuff isn't gonna last forever.
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
dan_sayers

Post by dan_sayers »

Absolutely. Had I already shot it, I'd buy at least 2 cases at that price. But do you know if they allow local pickup?

Bringing the thread back to topic, I had a chance to gander at a P3AT tonight. I was wondering if anybody can compare it to a Tomcat 32. I was looking to get a Tomcat 32 once the Sat Night Special ruling is slammed out by pre-emption. My first observation was that the P3AT is hammerless and I don't much care for that.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Dan the P3AT does have a hammer. The beretta would be a good choice also if you wanted a .32 but the P3AT is a .380 in a .25 package. 8)http://www.kel-tec.com/index.htm
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

dan_sayers wrote:I'd buy at least 2 cases at that price. But do you know if they allow local pickup?
I think so, but call 'em and ask.
dan_sayers wrote:I had a chance to gander at a P3AT tonight. I was wondering if anybody can compare it to a Tomcat 32.
Yeah, it is half the size of a Tomcat 32, but half again as powerful...

dan_sayers wrote:I was looking to get a Tomcat 32 once the Sat Night Special ruling is slammed out by pre-emption.
Don't count your chickens before they hatch. There's a lot of work to be done there yet...
dan_sayers wrote:My first observation was that the P3AT is hammerless and I don't much care for that.
It has a hammer. You just can't see it.

TunnelRat

marinecorpsmike

Post by marinecorpsmike »

I carry a P3AT when I'm not concealing my Kahr PM40. Very light and easy to carry. I usually put it in a Pager Pal, comfortable and accessable. Like you I am left handed but don't find this to be an issue. Although the clip carry is an option I prefer to cover the trigger and many light holsters are available to do that job. While I agree that a .380 is not the prefered caliber for self-defense, the P3AT does satisfy the main rule that you must bring a gun to a gun fight. This is a pistol that is so easy to carry concealed that you are more likely to take with you when you might leave your 1911 at home.
edison

Post by edison »

dan_sayers wrote:I had a chance to gander at a P3AT tonight. I was wondering if anybody can compare it to a Tomcat 32. I was looking to get a Tomcat 32 once the Sat Night Special ruling is slammed out by pre-emption. My first observation was that the P3AT is hammerless and I don't much care for that.
Unfortunately, I can't comment on the Tomcat, but I find I carry the P-3AT more than any other pistol I own. It replaced my Bersa 380 (down with a missing grip screw). The P-3AT goes everywhere. It slips into all coat pockets. Although it has a DAO trigger, it is a very light trigger and I make sure I keep it in a holster. I don't shoot it often as it is not a comfortable pistol to shoot. My wee beastie is a second generation model and so far it has fed hollow points reliably.

edison