SKS Rifle

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Petrovich
*** Banned ***

Post by Petrovich »

If you really want to impress them with your brains lay this on 'em.

SKS = Samozaryadnyi Karabin Simonov

Sammo-zarry-ODDinya care-uh-BEAN SEE-min-of

Self loading carbine Simonov....or Simonov self loading carbine
Buckshot

Post by Buckshot »

ampleworks wrote:Bukshot, isn't this a dumbfounded way to find you that you don't read into anything I said which further just outlined why a SKS isn't used for much more than anything match-wise than a sideshoot at another type of event.

Someone who buys a $130 surplus rifle and expects it to shoot 600 yards is pretty far from being the sharpest knife in the drawer.
Ampleworks

I guess I am just dense, but you are going to have to explain the first paragraph to me. I just don't understand what you are trying to tell me.

As for an SKS being used as a CMP rifle, it is definitely possible Especially at a club that runs ONLY 100 yd. competitions, and somewhat possible at a club that runs 100 & 200 yd. competitions.

I have SEEN them used sucessfully at those two ranges. It is 300 yds. that seperated the rifles from the cabines. A LOT of things changed a whole bunch a couple of years ago when our club got our 300 yd. line up and running for matches.

I was simply trying to answer the questions as honsetly as I could, and get enough information to do so.

Buckshot
Jronjakoh

Post by Jronjakoh »

Exactly! i'm no expert on rifles. CMP is new to me and Have never fired under the CMP rules nor knew what the yardage was in the competition.
When I saww the SKS I was merely wondering if this was anywhere near the Garand.(which I now understand the difference from Buckshot).
Nope I'm definetily not the sharpest knife in the kitchen but I CAN shoot a straight shot with a rifle.
Never too late to learn in life what I don't know and this forum is the best place I know of to ask and learn.
Our outdoor range IS a 200 yarder and it will suffice in learning to shoot the CMP way with the instruction from the rangemaster. In due time I will get the right rifle to compete at Camp Perry.

Thanks Guys
Americans need not fear the federal government because they enjoy the advantage of being armed, which you possess over the people of almost every other nation. . James Madison.

What's in Your Wallet?

SEMPER PARATUS