Reloaders - What Machine Do You Use?

To learn and introduce new loaders. Tips and tricks from old timers.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

My press is made by...

Dillon
36%
Hornady
7%
Lee
35%
RCBS
11%
MEC
No votes
Lyman
No votes
Forster
No votes
Redding
1%
I use several different mfgs
10%

Total votes: 94

BRIAR

Post by BRIAR »

rcbs rock chucker supreme
rcbs turret
since 1993
and have never looked back. top quality and support.
"The smell of sulphur is strong but not unpleasant to the sinner."
--Mark Twain, 1866
Tither

Post by Tither »

Excellent thread. I enjoyed seeing what everyone is using.

I have had a variety of presses over the years, and have ended up giving them away to new reloaders.

I never got into the progressive loaders though. I like reloading on single stage and turret presses. Even shotgun, I never used progressives for my own handloads.

I clean my cases, then size and deprime them. I have a TV near my loading bench. While watching TV again, I check size, trim, inspect and then use a hand primer.

This leaves only charging and bullet seating which is done with attention to detail.

I really like loading with single stage presses. My friend says, that is because I am simple minded. :lol: He says simple minds like simple non skilled tasks. :lol:
Don't blame me, I voted for McCain
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel." -- Patrick Henry
יזכר לא עד פעם
ScottyPotty
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by ScottyPotty »

I have a lee loadmaster, and RCBS Single Stage Special-5 and RCBS Turret.
A general dissolution of principles and manners will more surely overthrow the liberties of America than the whole force of the common enemy. While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader. Samuel Adams
dclaarjr

Post by dclaarjr »

I'm just getting started. Today my RCBS Rockchucker "Supreme Master Reloading Kit" arrived. It acme with a big reloading manual that I plan to look through so I can figure out what to get so I can start with some safe practice loads for my 9MM and .223. If anyone has any advice on what I should start with it will be dreatly appreciated.
NRA Certified Instructor for Basic Handgun and Personal Protection.
OFCC Member
4 County Conservation Club Member
US Army Veteran
Tither

Post by Tither »

dclaarjr wrote:I'm just getting started. Today my RCBS Rockchucker "Supreme Master Reloading Kit" arrived. It acme with a big reloading manual that I plan to look through so I can figure out what to get so I can start with some safe practice loads for my 9MM and .223. If anyone has any advice on what I should start with it will be dreatly appreciated.
Load the 9's first. No case lubing and or trimming is usually needed for once fired straight cases.

One thing I learned is to hold the bullet and the very top of the case rather lightly, by the sides, when putting the bullet & case into the seating die. Otherwise you will get a VERY Painful bite as the die closes the case mouth down on your finger.
Like this, if the bullet will stay there straight like this one. If not you will have to guide it, by holding it. At the mouth of the case but just barely up to the case mouth. Just enough to hold the bullet. No more.

Once you learn how, the die will lightly brush your fingers away from them both as the stroke continues downward.

Last bit of advice, ask us is you do not understand something. We will help.
Don't blame me, I voted for McCain
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel." -- Patrick Henry
יזכר לא עד פעם