The Mind of a Predator

This area is for discussions that do not fit into the formal firearms discussions of the website. Common sense and non-controversial contributions are expected. Certain topics are forbidden. See the forum rules for more details.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

CMiddleton

The Mind of a Predator

Post by CMiddleton »

I have been in California since the end of September, longing for the gorgeous Ohio autumn that I missed. I am here working for the Department of Corrections on a temporary contract running a pill line in the yard clinic. After working with criminals, lifers, psychos and the like I have formed a couple opinions.

These guys are absolute animals; the very narcissistic behavior that landed them in jail is the same behavior they must keep to survive in jail. Out of the 1200 inmates in my yard, I bet I have 5 that are decent rehabilitatable men.

They are not only animals, but predators. They observe and remember everything. They know what days I work, they remember when I got my last haircut and mention it to me. One inmate asked me how my cat was doing. He overheard me telling a coworker about 10 weeks prior. They lay in waiting, patiently and then they strike. For instance, I was running my pill line, and I gave an inmate a syringe to do his insulin. He handed me the syringe back, but it wasn't the syringe I handed him. He handed me back a plunger, with a needle sheath attached with gum to the plunger and the standard orange needle cap. I instantly alarmed the yard and shot it down and he was taken into custody. Here is the kicker, he told the C.O. Lieutenant that he thought that because I ran my line fast that I was not paying attention and he had been carrying the fake syringe in his pocket for more than a month. Patient predators.

They take whatever they can get, no matter how insignificant. If they think you don't know better, they will lie to get reading glasses, boost supplement, alcohol prep pads, band aids, anything; nothing is too negligible to have value on the yard. Most claim they have a bum leg, so they can have a walking cane (tax payer funded weapon). If they get a Doc to sign off on a wheelchair, they get an automatic low bunk. This is a big deal since they stack them 3 people high here in California. I am working at the most crowded prison in the state, meant to hold 400, we have 1200.

One inmate was asking another nurse for "my Boost", taking advantage of her since she was new. This particular inmate didn't get Boost as it requires a Doctor's order. I told him no, and told her that he didn't take it. He told me to mind my own business, to which I answered, "The taxpayers pay for it, and I am a taxpayer so it is my business." He responded well you m....f...ers are buying me a 7000 artificial leg next month, how does that feel. To which I answered, "You are still going to hell and added some more colorful commentary to that"

About 400 out of the 1200 come to pill line, more than half of those take narcotics ranging from extended release morphine to Tylenol 3 to Vicodin. Guys that weigh more then 200 get a prescription for Boost, just for telling the Doc that they don't like the food. All at taxpayer expense.

Point one: I am joyous that I don't have to live in this state. Don't let the movies fool you. After you get 20 miles from the coast, it is the ugliest poverty stricken, crime ridden place.

Point two: Having these criminals on the streets should make you scared, very scared. If we don't have a means to defend ourselves from criminals we are prey. I am not joking by any stretch by telling you these criminals are animals.

Conclusion: These anti gun people still believe in the integrity of man and the desire to do the right thing when presented with a choice. I have now seen firsthand that there are people who are bad, and they are unfixable. They will take the low road every time, they will lie, steal, rape, murder and feel wholeheartedly that they are entitled to do whatever they please without respect to anyone else. These people are why you need a gun. These people are why we don't need the CPZ signs.

I knew CPZ signs were ridiculous, but now that I see real criminals these CPZ signs are not different that if you went to the jungles of South America and hung up a sign that said,

"No Biting and Clawing Zone, tigers, lions and bears who hunt humans will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law"

These animals would have zero regard for this sign, just like the other two-legged animals already disregard the CPZ signs.
It can be difficult to remember that your mission was to drain the swamp, when you are up to your butt in alligators.
curmudgeon3

Post by curmudgeon3 »

Thank you for posting that. Many sheople are unaware of that culture, or don't want to talk about it, in hopes that it will go away. ("condition white").
The mainstream newspapers wouldn't publish your post, they are more fond of philosophizing about the morality of gun control for law-abiding people and fair treatment of the predators when they are incarcerated and providing for their children in their absence. "And the beat goes on".
Jake
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Jake »

Informative to be sure.

What part of Ca. are you in?

I spent a decade living in California, and can attest to the surroundings.

But it's also very much like the rest of our mostly great country.

A lot of good with a lot of bad mixed in for flavor.
NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Hope for the Best. Plan for the Worst.

http://www.salemhuntingclub.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.nraila.org/get-involved-loca ... -reps.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rainmaker
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rainmaker »

Thank you. Always wondered - kind of figured - now we know.
Steve
NRA member (long, long time)
NMLRA member (even longer)
OFCC member, BFA member
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

Generally, everyone gets out of prison, and then moves to someone's neighborhood. Some are likeable sociopaths, many are unlikable sociopaths, and most are psychopaths. The cross-bar hotel isn’t like the movies.
BIG SHAFE

Re: The Mind of a Predator

Post by BIG SHAFE »

CMiddleton wrote:These guys are absolute animals; the very narcissistic behavior that landed them in jail is the same behavior they must keep to survive in jail.
Very interesting.

Stay safe in there.
charben
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by charben »

Scary post. When you get back to Tiffin, let me know. We'll go punch some holes in some paper at Izaak Walton.
Chris

Crushing the First Amendment, one post at a time!

"If you walk out of your house carrying your gun (openly or otherwise) and you DO NOT fully understand the law, then you are NOT completely armed..."
Tither

Post by Tither »

Well Said Sir!
Don't blame me, I voted for McCain
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel." -- Patrick Henry
יזכר לא עד פעם
makdaddy

Post by makdaddy »

Thanks for this information. I'll let my wife read this one, since she's on the fence about getting her CHL.
If waterboarding was a sexual preference, it would be taught in public schools.
KlarkK

Post by KlarkK »

+1

My mailbox has received five new sex offender announcements in the five months since a nearby school closed. I have a buddy who works in an Ohio prison, and I'm one of very few he's willing to talk to about it. I don't doubt a word of ^.
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

One of the guys I used to hang with on the old CompuServe POLICE forum was a CO in Florida. He burned out ("office politics" mostly) and moved to Chicago, where he ended up working on the Sears loading dock....

I expect that CMiddleton is being gentle....

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
muxtech

Post by muxtech »

Back in 92 or 93 I met a personable stranger I decided to "help out" and got totally conned, it would seem, for sport. In Borg-like fashion he used info learned through casual conversation, and theatrics to manipulate me. It was a carrot and stick thing. I was young and single and his buddy owned Hooters in the flats. There's more to it but you get the idea.
Long story that turned out OK. I consider it a valuable lesson. Later, I actually contacted some of the names he dropped and they were not his "friends". Rather, they were previous marks who wised up or were suspicious. They were grateful to hear from me.

Your remarks about their mental reconnaissance reminded me of my sociopath "friend". It's chilling to think you're having a chat at a sports bar while unbeknownst you're being scanned by russian radar and fed into an evil computer.
The British are going! The British are going!
NavyChief
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by NavyChief »

Excellent insight. Thank you for sharing that. Again, I'm reminded of the response an acquaintance that was a state C.O. gave once answering the question, "Does evil exist?"
"I work in a prison. I see Evil every day. My last prison was a lockdown supermax, where Evil was naked and violent, right out in front. Now I work in a sex offender yard, where Evil wears a polite face, and warm smile.....

And people wonder why I carry a gun. Evil gets out on parole next Tuesday..."
Total repeal of ALL firearms/weapons laws at the local, state and federal levels. Period. Wipe the slate clean.
CMiddleton

didn't know so many would be interested

Post by CMiddleton »

Nice to see some responses to my rant. It is an experience I will never forget. It was vastly important, because before I did this, I overestimated my ability to reason with anyone. Now that I have had this experience, I have realized that animals cannot be reasoned with. They will take what they can take, from anyone who will stand by and let them take it, even your life if you are standing in the way of what they want.

NavyChief, your friend is right about evil and its many faces. The only perfect justice that occurs on the yard without any interference from custody staff is the punishment meted out for child molesters. They try to keep them on their special baby raper yard, but eventually they get their due. The inmates can have net access at times, and they check out the sheriff site's to find out if their new inmates are sexual predators. They usually get a few cracks over the head with a padlock in a sock. I am not condoning it, but I can't say I am sad that it happens either.

It burns my behind to think of the way these guys milk the taxpayer teat. When elderly have to pay taxes, and still choose between food and heart medicine or other life sustaining medication. Then the taxes go to buy A+D ointment which has a lubricating quality, which I don't think I need to go into detail about its use. And supplements and canes and all these things that some of these elderly need and cannot even afford themselves, it is a sad state of affairs.

But on the flip side, there are those inmates who number a slight few buy could be helped. One such inmate begged me everyday for his blood pressure medication, the pharmacy never sent it, and the prison does not have an emergency medication system in place. It is important to note that the pharmacy had recently cut its hours to 8 per day, with no over time and only one shift per day as a cost saving measure.

This guy came to me every day for 10 days, until he went out to the hospital (800 taxpayer dollars for the ambulance, and custody staff). I sparred with pharmacy every day for 10 days with no success. I reported it to my managers, without anyone caring in the slightest...until....he went out. Then they were looking for a scapegoat and going into cover my behind mode.

So the inmate comes back, they write up this huge report accusing the inmate of not taking his medication (even though none was available) they put all the blame on him, and since he has no paperwork or record he can do nothing about it. Now he isn't allowed to carry his blood pressure medicine as all the other inmates do, he has to come to the pill line where we give narcotics to get his meds. All this occurred for no reason, other than pharmacy refused to fill an order.

Typical turn around time for pharmacy is 7 to 10 days. So if a guy gets an infection, which could be contagious, he sees the Doctor on Day one. The Doc writes and order and it is faxed to pharmacy. More than a week later, he gets this med. But if the doctor ordered the medication for 10 days, he gets doses for days 8, 9 and 10. Then the other 7 days worth gets returned to pharmacy. Anyone who knows microbiology or medicine will tell you that if you dont kill the offending microorganism, it can resurge even stronger. So that is why the yards are a cesspool of resistant microorganisms. Not even mentioning the guy suffering while waiting for medication or the risk of spreading infections to custody staff and nurses and other inmates.

I know prison isn't a place to be fun, but California has really got a problem that isn't even fixable at this point. Are Ohio prisons as dysfunctional as this?
It can be difficult to remember that your mission was to drain the swamp, when you are up to your butt in alligators.
Tither

Re: didn't know so many would be interested

Post by Tither »

CMiddleton wrote: It was vastly important, because before I did this, I overestimated my ability to reason with anyone. Now that I have had this experience, I have realized that animals cannot be reasoned with. They will take what they can take, from anyone who will stand by and let them take it, even your life if you are standing in the way of what they want.

NavyChief, your friend is right about evil and its many faces.
This is the Liberal mindset that we are all born with. Hope in our fellow man. We tend to think about how we grew up, and the way we were socialized, and we remember our friends. We believe that people just cannot really be that bad. However there is Evil, and there is crazy. This is just one of the subjects I wish Sabalo would comment on. I think we would all find his incite amazing.

However, there is another subset of people. Mostly Inner-City, who are often just socialized differently. They are often very intelligent and very crafty. Conn men! They just consider this a valuable work skill, just like drug dealing and theft. This is a shocking thought I know, but it is reality for inner-city poor.

If Liberals really wanted to do effective work, this is the place they would start. If we are to even get a good handle on the problems in our society, we need to quit looking for answers in stupid programs like Gun Control and get down to the root of the problem and change what is in the heart of man. We also need to realize that not everyone can be saved with socialization, but it would be a whole heck of a lot more cost effective than gun control! For how can Gun Control socialize even ONE person?

This is also what we get when we kick God out of our Government and our Schools and we then refuse to teach any moral training what so ever. The Liberal paralyzes us with their Liberal thought, “But whose morals would we teach?” I am sure we could come to an agreement like Thou shall not steal or kill, but we surely do not want to upset someone with a different moral background. After all, what gives us the right to think that our way is superior. :lol:

You reap what you sew, and now we all have to take a big whiff and a huge bite of the fertilizer sandwich we have created! :lol:
Don't blame me, I voted for McCain
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel." -- Patrick Henry
יזכר לא עד פעם