Suggest a knife

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

ArcherAce

Suggest a knife

Post by ArcherAce »

For years I carried an old Buck 110 in a sheath on my side. Along with a Gerber multitool, I pretty much had everything covered.

When I'm not at work, I'm now carrying my gun. So, with a gun, knife, multitool, and a cell phone on my belt it was getting a bit much. Not to mention the "Batman utility belt" look is so last season. So, I only carried my tools at work.

Well, the workplace changed after the shooting. They started to enforce the no knives part of the no weapons policy. I should say they said something to you if you had one on your belt. It seems that the folders that clip inside your pocket are fine. Out of sight, out of mind I guess.

I miss haveing a good knife handy. Can anyone suggest a quality knife, with a pocket clip for under $100.00? I like the one hand open option, no serrate blade, please. The wife asked me what I wanted for Christ-mas and I think i'm going to tell her a pocket knife.

I could probably get away with a multitool, but I've never found one with a blade on it that was worth a damn. I know I miss my old one. If you know of a multitool that will hold an edge, that might work too.

Rob
45akp

Post by 45akp »

You won't find a better knife for the dollar than a Ken Onion designed Kershaw. I carry one all the time. Picked it up a a gun show for $30.00. Plain blade, one hand, assisted opening, pocket clip. Holds an edge too.
Mad Duck

Post by Mad Duck »

Still a fan of the Spydco, although the Al Mar is looking tempting.
But a knife like a gun has to feel good in hand.
meeksja

Post by meeksja »

I carry a Masters of Defense (MOD) Advanced Tactical Folding Knife (ATFK). It is inspired by the original MOD “Trident” designed by decorated U.S. Navy SEAL James “Patches” Watson.

It is a great knife and uses a one handed thumb operated locking mechanism.

I found the best price at Elite Tactical Sources, Inc in Fletcher, NC.
Here's a link:
http://elitetacticalsources.com/client/ ... id2=MD55-3

I also carry a Surefire E2D every where I go. Nobody realizes it doubles as a weapon.
NavyChief
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by NavyChief »

No clip, and a litlle over budget, but this A. G. Russell Hunter-Skinner is right up there for uniqueness. For a little less you can look at these. . .
Total repeal of ALL firearms/weapons laws at the local, state and federal levels. Period. Wipe the slate clean.
charles1198

Post by charles1198 »

How big a knife do you want?

I carry a Kershaw Scallion daily. It's assisted-opening, and has a partially serrated blade. They have non-serrated ones, too, I believe. The Leek is another nice knife. Both of them are small enough that they don't take up a whole lot of valuable pocket space, but the are very durable and they keep an edge. They don't have "Rambo" kind of names, either, so they are a little more law-enforcement/court friendly. It's hard to go wrong with Kershaw.
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

Cold Steel (http://www.ColdSteel.com) makes some of the sharpest and toughest knives available. I have been using their folding knives for years.

I recently gave my last Cold Steel Night Force folder to one of my sons. Then I replaced it with their new Recon1. I think the Cold Steel Recon1 is the best folding knife I have ever owned. I like it better than their Voyagers or their Vaqueros. I now carry it daily in place of my old Emerson CQC-7.

The Recon1 is sharp, solid, simple, and strong. The blade allows for fast one-handed opening and has a locking system like a bank vault. I can recommend this knife to you unreservedly. [I think the Tanto Point blade is less aesthetically pleasing than the other two blade styles, but that is a subjective judgment and does not at all detract from the value of the knife.]

Photos and descriptions are available on the Cold Steel website. However, you may get a better price through a retailer. I paid about $50 for mine.
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
ArcherAce

Post by ArcherAce »

charles1198 wrote:How big a knife do you want?
Small enought to fit in my front pocket without being a nuisance, but big enough to be useful. :D

It would be for utility first, defence second. You never know when a big dog might slip out from under a fence when you're taking your nightly walk!

All good suggestions, guys, but I think I'm going to have to take a ride up to Cabela's and fondle some knives! I suppose as long as I buy a quality, namebrand knife I'll be ok.

Rob
Mark

Post by Mark »

I like my Benchmade.

Buy an American made knife. Best in the world. I briefly had one of those Chinese made Smith and Wesson knives. Junk! I don't know why they would ruin their name with that pot metal Chinese crap.
BEAR!

Post by BEAR! »

Ace;
I carried a 110 for many, many years, but now I carry a Spyderco every day. Like Tom says Cold Steel makes a great knife too, I have a couple. You can't go wrong with either.
NRA Endowment Member
OFCC Member

"Life is tough, its even tougher when you're stupid"- John Wayne

http://theoldtimeway.blogspot.com/
meeksja

Post by meeksja »

Not sure which knife was referred to as not having a clip and too expensive but the MOD ATFK runs about $138 plus shipping and has a reversible pocket clip that allows the knife to be carried right-handed with tip up or down.

I placed the order on Monday and was on the doorstep Wednesday.

Their customer service is outstanding too.
IANALY

Re: Mark

Post by IANALY »

I like my Benchmade.

Buy an American made knife. Best in the world. I briefly had one of those Chinese made Smith and Wesson knives. Junk! I don't know why they would ruin their name with that pot metal Chinese crap.
What good name? It was my understanding that the Smith and Wesson name is dirt to supporters of the second amendment. The company is of the same quality as their knives - crappy.

Kershaw, Benchmade, etc. are great, but in your situation I might consider a standard Swiss Army type knife - less likely to get you in trouble at work and just as useful. Just my thoughts.
NRA Life Patron Member; GOA; NRA Certified Firearm Instructor; NRA RSO; Attorney

Self-Defense/CHL Law, BP, HFS, PPIH Instructor
RKBA, LLC - Founder, Co-President
Ursus americanus
*** Banned ***

Post by Ursus americanus »

I was at Wally World recently and my cousin spotted an M16 Columbia River for under $30.00. He talked me into buying one - what a great little knife and it has a great edge.
dan_sayers

Post by dan_sayers »

ArcherAce wrote:All good suggestions, guys, but I think I'm going to have to take a ride up to Cabela's and fondle some knives!
Scoop me up along the way. Everybody I know that's been there won't shutup about how great it is, but I have yet to go there.
Safety Guy

Post by Safety Guy »

Fondling some knives is a good idea. You want to try it out before you buy whenever possible.

I am partial to the Spydercos, and keep going back the basic "bread and butter" models of the Endura and slightly smaller Delica.

Either one should be had for less than $55 and for the same price you can buy the blunt edged red-handled trainer versions for more serious self-defense practice.

For example, get someone to take you to the ground and tussle with. As you protect your head from a beating, draw your knife and pick a target.

Not as easy as pulling it out and opening it up in the office.

The Benchmade Griptilian also comes in standard and trainer versions and is just a little more expensive.

Karl
I WANT VERMONT! (OR "ALASKA")
That's FIRST AMENDMENT CRUSADER PIGLET!