Private versus Statutory prohibitions

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Scruit

Private versus Statutory prohibitions

Post by Scruit »

Private prohibition zones and Staturtory prohibition zones, for the most part, all use the state "No Guns" sign, making it difficult to determine if the CPZ is private or statutory. In most cases (schools, daycares, bars) there's no question, but in others (supermarkets that may or may not have a Class D license, or drive-thru beer shops that server alcohol, but not for on-site consumption, or restaruants that you may or may not know if they sell alcohol) it's not easy to tell.

I'd like to see different types of signs for Private CPZ versus Statutory (Gov/Edu/Daycare/ClassD) exclusions. I'd like to know if a location is a voluntary (Private) CPZ versus involuntary (Statutory) CPZ so that I don't harshly judge a business that has not *actively chosen* to exclude CHLs...

- Statutory exclusions signs should list *why* they qualify. The sign could stay significantly the same with only the words "Government Facility" or "Class D License" etc. That way there are no hard feelings against the business owner and I will disarm & shop there.

- Private exclusion signs should have the wording; "Persuant to ORC xxx, This business has chosen to prohibit weapons." I can then make an informed decision to leave a "You lost my business" card and shop elsewhere.

This would also help people know if they are committing a Misdemeanor or Felony by ignoring the sign. Not that I support ignoring private signs at all... But...

As in in my Red Cross example earlier this week... The location was NOT posted on the front door, but instead was posted 10' from the classroom inside the building after I had already entered. As soon as I saw the sign I spoke with a member of staff who didn't have a problem with my CCW - he told me "You can just go in there. (to the classroom)" I chose to not disrupt the class by asking them to wait for me to go back to my car, and instead I joined the class and waited until the first opportunity to speak with the instructor alone, about 15 minutes into the class. I excused myself during a short break and complied with the sign. I waited the 15 mins because it was only a misdemeanor charge and an agent of the business was made aware of my status and had not asked me to leave * directed me into the classroom knowing my CCW status.

Now, if this was a statutory exclusion zone then it would be a felony and at first sight of the sign I would have left the buiding and not even bothered to ask a member of staff or allowed him to verbally override the sign (which he could not do). I would have just left, even if it meant missing part of the class or having to return another night to do the class.
dan_sayers

Post by dan_sayers »

Are statutory zones required to post? Almost seems redundant that one of the requirements of obtaining the license is to be educated about the mandatory zones, but they would have to post just the same. Like when I see a "yield to pedestrians during turns" sign on the road. Like, duh.

I'm assuming the Post Office is a CPZ, eh? A statutory one at that? Because I've never seen a sign on the one in Oregon. To the best of my knowledge, the PO is not a federally ran institution either. All my mail is received by way of PO Box and it would be great if I didn't have to pop the trunk every single time (at least until my safe arrives ;)).
Scruit

Post by Scruit »

One of our local supermarkets does wine-tastings, and therefore has a Class D liqor license. If they didn't not have a sign then woud you be forgiven for not knowing they had the Class D...?
NavyChief
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by NavyChief »

dan_sayers wrote:I'm assuming the Post Office is a CPZ, eh?
Oh my. You've no idea what a can of worms this is. We have an article on the main web site covering this in great detail which concludes POs are no carry. I've also read just as persuasive an article claiming that it's OK to carry in them. To the best of knowledge no one has ever been prosecuted for having done so. I could be wrong.
Total repeal of ALL firearms/weapons laws at the local, state and federal levels. Period. Wipe the slate clean.
dan_sayers

Post by dan_sayers »

Shucks. I hate sparking conflict. Doesn't it come down to whether or not it's federally operated? My mother was a mailman for a bit and to the best of my knowledge, she was not a government employee. Isn't that the deal-breaker? I could argue that visiting my Box doesn't actually take me into the office where postal employees work, but I was taught that if part of the BUILDING is government, the entire building is off-limits.
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

From what I could get out of the Post Office mess is that the Post Office doesn't care (if you've got a CHL), but our friends in Columbus decided to add yet another CPZ to our collection of burdens.

Just bear in mind that we paid for those buildings....

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם