What I thought of "OFCC's Fun and Gun III".

Want to talk about IDPA, IPSC, or other competition events you are involved in
or are interested in participating in? Want to know if anyone is going to a local gun show? Wondering when the next OFCC event is? All that and more is in this section!

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

JU-87
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

What I thought of "OFCC's Fun and Gun III".

Post by JU-87 »

My opinion of OFCC's Fun and Gun III":

From now on, shooting at paper targets will be BORING! :D :wink: The coarses of fire were interesting and challenging.

I would recommend this event to anyone, reguardless of there skill level.

I had a GREAT time, and got to meet Jeff Garvis and "Tunnelrat". I made a few "tacticle " mistakes, but learned a lot.

I had to leave "Fun and Gun" at 4pm to be at work at 5pm, but it was a great time. Thanks to everyone who worked to make this event happen.
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun... Let your gun, therefore, be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson, 1785.

Read "War is a Racket" by MG Smedly Butler,USMC. He was awarded the Medal of Honor twice. http://warisaracket.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Henry Kissinger said, "Military Men are just dumb, stupid animals to be used as pawns in Foreign Policy" and has not denied this quote to this day.
JB

Post by JB »

+1
What an excellent event! This was my first competition-style shoot. I've always shot paper at the range.

Thanks to all, particularly Al, the Black Hat team leader; Jeff, and Brian T for their help.

Who has Pics?
-----------
JB
Haldor

Re: What I thought of "OFCC's Fun and Gun III".

Post by Haldor »

JU-87 wrote:My opinion of OFCC's Fun and Gun III":

From now on, shooting at paper targets will be BORING! :D :wink: The coarses of fire were interesting and challenging.

I would recommend this event to anyone, reguardless of there skill level.
I agree, this was my first time shooting at any event of any kind. Tremendous fun. I was lucky enough to be in a smaller group and we got to fire all of the courses at least twice. By the end of the day, I was so worn out from shooting and having fun, I started getting a bit sloppy. Not quite as bad as the guy who double tapped the hostage in our second to last series (I only shot that hostage once myself).

The folks at the Rochester Rod and Gun Club did a great job of putting on a fun shoot and making sure everybody was happy and safe. By the way Tunnelrat turned in some pretty smoking times on a couple of the series, he doesn't just talk a good game.

I'll be going to #4.
Whirlwind06
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Whirlwind06 »

I had a very good time!
All of the stages were good. Some a little muddy but fun none the less.
Morne
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Morne »

Not quite as bad as the guy who double tapped the hostage in our second to last series
I resemble that remark... :oops:

Besides, that hostage said some unkind things about my mother... :lol:

Yes, it was a lot of fun! Shooting most stages twice was awesome. The club served up a nice lunch and everything.

I'll definitely be going to #4 next year. And I'm bringing a revolver, too!

Seriously, for you wheelgunners out there - most of the stages were designed to be shot with 6 rounds and then a mag (or speedloader) change followed by another 6 rounds. My poor 14-rounders never got to go whole hog the entire day.

Definitely bringing the wheelgun next time...
Thus spoke Zarathustra.

Footsoldier in the Conservative Insurrection of the GOP.

Remember, only you can prevent big government!
Roy C

Post by Roy C »

I and my daughter and son-in-law
also had a great time!

The 'Green' team was a great group of people
and I enjoyed meeting and talking with them all.

Many Thanks to all who helped put this on.

It was a pleasure to see how eveyone helped
to keep the place clean and tidy and help put things
away at the end.

Roy
richh56

Post by richh56 »

++1 for Fun and Gun,

The people at Rochester Rod and Gun Club did a great job at hosting the event and my thanks to them. For those of us in this area we should go watch them “cowboys” do an event sometime. An R.R & G club member told me last year they offered a IDPA event shoot ever Wednesday for $5.00 but only 5 or 6 shooters would show up. Perhaps if enough of us local OFCC members would drag in a few friends we could spark a renewed interest to get that going again. I don’t think you had to be a member of that club to participate in the shoot.

Also a big thanks goes out to Jeff Garvas who spent his whole day inside a dark little room to add a nice training section to the day with his flashlight encounter. Jeff, you have more discipline them I, with all the sounds and smell of gun powder burning around you all day it must have been torture.

As a member of the orange team we had Rick, who was a great range officer. We had a mix of seasoned and novice shooters in the group. We started the day with out a timer and on our third stage one was finally offered to us. With a 100% vote we rejected the timer in a move we felt would put undo pressure on the newer shooters. Rick and others spent a great deal of time working with the novice people and that is what it should be all about. Even with the extra time spent on novice we still shoot all the courses two and in some case’s three times. We would do it as set up on the first go around and then we would alt the course and take a round with strong or weak hand only. With that said, I am proud to say not one orange team member hit a hostage all day. :)

We also had three women in our group and that was awesome to see. I am not sure how many females we had in total at the event but the ones we had on the orange team where great.

The whole day was fantastic and I can hardly see how it could have been any better.
ArcherAce

Post by ArcherAce »

One day I'm going to be able to make one of these. :(

I'm tired of haveing to work all the time!
"Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets."
Birdman

Post by Birdman »

I had a great time! (Especially after the sun came out) Orange team ladies were great. They put most of us guys to shame many times. I would like to thank them for supporting an event like this, even though they may feel a little a bit outnumbered.
Hats off to Jeff, Dan, other OFCC leaders, and Rochester Gun Club for the use of their facilities. Sign me up for next year!
“It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people’s minds”-Sam Adams

"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot."
- Mark Twain, Notebook, 1935
Tactical Badger

Post by Tactical Badger »

You said it!! Paper targets at the range will never be the same after this event!

It was my first such event, and I didn't really know what to expect. I was sure it would be fun, but had no idea just how much fun it would be. It was the most fun I have ever had shooting.

I would also like to express my interest in a monthly IDPA style shoot. What can we do to get this going?

Many thanks to Jeff, Dan, and everyone else who put this event together.

How long 'til the next one!?!
Whirlwind06
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Whirlwind06 »

Yep I agree. Maybe we can get the Rochester gun club to start running them again. I think more then a few of us would like to do more of this type of shooting.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Matches always need workers, and sometimes die off because of lack of same. Not very rewarding to be a match director with no helpers, so eventually the MD just gives up. Seen it happen more than a few times.

Not trying to be a wet blanket, just passing along the observation gleaned from many years of competition. Much of it as a match director, range safety officer, scorer, setup/teardown guy, etc. Sometimes it got to the point where the workers didn't have time to shoot the event themselves.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
pessemist

Thanks to all

Post by pessemist »

Had a great time at the shoot. I probably go to the range at least once a week but this was the first time I participated in a meet like this. Made lots of new friends and eventually overcame the embarrassment of a broken gun spring on the first stage.

Rick was a great Range Officer for the Orange Hat team and kept feeding everyone through the stages 2x-3x so we got plenty of trigger time and we were all kept safe. I'll be looking forward to more events like this.

Pesse (Mr. Headshot) Mist
I would write something witty here today but you wouldn't laugh and then you'd start using it tomorrow and calling it yours.
Roy C

Post by Roy C »

A recap with pictures here:

http://www.ohioccw.org/content/view/3871/83/

Roy