No concealed weapons sign

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

generaljl

No concealed weapons sign

Post by generaljl »

Went to Circuit City in Mayfield Hts. today and noticed a new sign. It read "No Concealed Weapons Permited". It was just an orange sign with white lettering stuck to the entry door. The kicker is they gained my business for a while because the Mayfield Hts. Best Buy was a CPZ for a while, they removed the sign and Circuit City put one up. Now the question, does it carry the same weight as a ghost buster sign? We all know just about anything can be considered a weapon. I guess I should leave my keys in my car, oh wait I won't be shopping there anymore. Maybe someone braver than me should open carry while shopping there?
MDM

Post by MDM »

Unfortunately, they can make a sign with crayons and post it on their door and it`s valid and you MUST obey it. My question is since their sign said "No CONCEALED Weapons Permitted" does that mean you can OPEN carry?
"A citizen who shirks his duty to contribute to the security of his community is little better than the criminal who threatens it."
NavyChief
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by NavyChief »

Yep, what MDM said.
MDM wrote:Unfortunately, they can make a sign with crayons and post it on their door and it`s valid and you MUST obey it. My question is since their sign said "No CONCEALED Weapons Permitted" does that mean you can OPEN carry?
BWAHAHAHAHA! Yeah - give that a try and let us know how it works out...
Total repeal of ALL firearms/weapons laws at the local, state and federal levels. Period. Wipe the slate clean.
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

sign

Post by Javelin Man »

I bought gas at a gas station that was posted no concealed weapons. Just before I stepped into the building to pay, I tucked my shirt in and exposed my gun. The old lady at the counter stepped sideways a bit and acted nervous, but relaxed a a couple seconds. The girl at the counter was cheerful until she saw my gun, and then she couldn't take her eyes off it. At least I think she was looking at my gun. :wink:

Nothing said, no police called or anything. I followed the letter of the law and did NOT carry concealed into the building.
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
Ursus americanus
*** Banned ***

Re: sign

Post by Ursus americanus »

Javelin Man wrote:The girl at the counter was cheerful until she saw my gun, and then she couldn't take her eyes off it. At least I think she was looking at my gun. :wink:
Is that a gun, or are you. . . . :D

uh, never mind :wink:
Petrovich
*** Banned ***

Post by Petrovich »

Javelin Man wrote:I bought gas at a gas station that was posted no concealed weapons. Just before I stepped into the building to pay, I tucked my shirt in and exposed my gun. The old lady at the counter stepped sideways a bit and acted nervous, but relaxed a a couple seconds. The girl at the counter was cheerful until she saw my gun, and then she couldn't take her eyes off it. At least I think she was looking at my gun. :wink:

Nothing said, no police called or anything. I followed the letter of the law and did NOT carry concealed into the building.
Wait, I'm corn-fuzed. If a building is posted no CCW/firearms, doesn't that mean NO firearms...concealed or otherwise. In other words, if a private property/business owner can prohibit concealed firarms it goes without saying expose are too....am I way off on this?
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

Love it....

The reverse of the "no standards" standard for signage seems to be sort of "you broke it, you bought it."

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
charles1198

Post by charles1198 »

You can only guess at the business owner's intent, or what a weird sign like that actually means. I'd take it for what it says. The law says they can make "rules" regarding the presence of firearms on their property or prohibit them altogether. It is that vague. I guess if they want you to balance it on your nose like a seal you have to. That's why I still say this portion of the law needs revised. I don't like leaving my constitutional rights locked in my glove box, or having them revised in some way by the cashier at the Kwik-E-Mart.
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

charles1198 wrote:I don't like leaving my constitutional rights locked in my glove box, or having them revised in some way by the cashier at the Kwik-E-Mart.
I dunno, some days I trust the cashier at the Kwik-E-Mart more than our esteemed legislators...
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
BB62

Post by BB62 »

Let's not just accept the sign at Circuit City as management's (or corporate's) intention.

There is no company wide policy at CC that I am aware of - I suspect that it is an individual (employee or not) or manager who put the sign up.

I would first suggest that you talk to the manager and see what he has to say. If necessary, take it up the ladder. There are a number of individual stores where someone at that level has posted, and have had to be shown "the way" by corporate.

Don't think a sign means that the company supports such actions.

Be active, don't be accepting!

BB62
Yes, I do believe in open carry. An openly armed man is clear in his intentions. Concealed carriers are sneaks and skulkers and elitist, boot licking, political contribution making, running dog lackies of The Man. <wink> (thx grumpycoconut - OpenCarry.org)

Got Freedom?

Accountant, Computer & Management Consultant
Scuba Diver, NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor
OldManTod
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by OldManTod »

tommcnaughton wrote:
charles1198 wrote:I don't like leaving my constitutional rights locked in my glove box, or having them revised in some way by the cashier at the Kwik-E-Mart.
I dunno, some days I trust the cashier at the Kwik-E-Mart more than our esteemed legislators...
And that is sad, because last time Tom and I stopped at the Kwik-E-Mart, we were delayed while the cashier bowed to the east and wailed something about Muhammed Ali (or Alliyah or perhaps it was Allah, I couldn't understand him).. He sounded alot like Spongebob Squarepants (loo-loo-loo-loo), perhaps Spongebob is racist towards middle eastern folks??

T
"I feel sorry for you people who do not drink, when you wake up in the morning, that is as good as you are going to feel all day." - Dean
IANALY

- RE "No Concealed" - can you carry openly . . .

Post by IANALY »

You can do it. I have done it. But prepare yourself for some time in some handcuffs and a long lecture, followed by getting your firearm handed back to you in front of the store manager.

Overall, I don't recommend.
NRA Life Patron Member; GOA; NRA Certified Firearm Instructor; NRA RSO; Attorney

Self-Defense/CHL Law, BP, HFS, PPIH Instructor
RKBA, LLC - Founder, Co-President
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

BB62 wrote:Let's not just accept the sign at Circuit City as management's (or corporate's) intention.

Don't think a sign means that the company supports such actions.

Be active, don't be accepting!

BB62
Indeed. Local Best Buys had signs up but it was NOT a corporate thing so they removed the ones from stores that were posted.

I bet the CC in mention falls under the same circumstances. Last I heard CC was Carry friendly.

Talk to a manager. I did at Fedex/kinkos and the sign was removed a week later.
Life is precious, Got Sig?
Sig P250 Compact .40s&w
toddhill

Post by toddhill »

Petrofergov wrote:
Javelin Man wrote:I bought gas at a gas station that was posted no concealed weapons. Just before I stepped into the building to pay, I tucked my shirt in and exposed my gun. The old lady at the counter stepped sideways a bit and acted nervous, but relaxed a a couple seconds. The girl at the counter was cheerful until she saw my gun, and then she couldn't take her eyes off it. At least I think she was looking at my gun. :wink:

Wait, I'm corn-fuzed. If a building is posted no CCW/firearms, doesn't that mean NO firearms...concealed or otherwise. In other words, if a private property/business owner can prohibit concealed firarms it goes without saying expose are too....am I way off on this?

From the post, it seems that it was posted "no concealed carry" not "no weapons". Javelin Man is doing what we all should do, use the law to our advantage whenever possible.
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

Guess I can post here....

I checked Office Max in Boardman last night - no ghostbusters sign. Somebody mentioned seeing one somewhere....

Had a funny one today - I had to go to a "new" Doctor today for an "evaluation" (disability issues), and since the office wasn't posted, and I expected to just yak, I left the 1911 in my belt.

(I did wear a nearly invisible holster, so if I'd needed to leave the gun in the car, it's pretty hard to guess what that thing on my belt is.)

Turned out that the doc wanted to do a fairly thorough exam. Raised my shirt while I was facing the other way. Not a word....

Then she asked me to remove my pants for some sort of body fat measurement (that'll keep larger computers than this one busy). No reaction when I put the 1911 onto the exam table....

So, either there'll be a ghostbusters sign there next week, or she's used to it. We didn't talk about it....

I'll write that one down as a win....

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם