Shooting in your yard question

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Alicialynn

Shooting in your yard question

Post by Alicialynn »

So I live in a suburb of Akron and I'm wanting to know if I can shoot in my back yard? Now to explain my neighborhood would be the best. To the left of me there are 2 abandoned homes, they were recently bought but are NOT able to be lived in, by stray cats let alone people. To my right is my yard and a highway. (probably a good .50 acre, but I don't want to shoot there) I was thinking my back yard. I obviously have no neighbors in the back of me because of the highway, BUT my yard has a hill and the highway is in back of that, (I want to guess at least 100 ft from end of our property line to highway) and like I said we have a hill so that's what I was hoping to shoot at. I figure with all the trees, hill between us I could possibly have a little area I could shoot in. Can anyone tell me If it's legal, or whom I would ask? Also a little note, across the street are apartments and one home (people in that home are cool) and apartment people in the building I can see are pretty far away and keep to themselves. Any advice would be great! I don't want to do something if I would be in the wrong and have them suspendy newly CHL or fine me. Thanks!!
BobK

Re: Shooting in your yard question

Post by BobK »

It all depends if you live inside city limits, or if you live in an unincorporated township.

If you are inside city limits, most all cities in Ohio have a municipal ordinance against discharging a firearm within city limits. It is usually a misdemeanor. Many municipalities (but not all) have their ordinances posted online -- usually at the city council's website.

If you live in unincorporated township land, then you are allowed to shoot on your own land, or on land where you have permission from the landowner to shoot. Townships do not have the authority under Ohio law to pass an ordinance banning shooting on your own land, whereas municipalities do have the authority.

If you are in Summit County, you can find real estate parcel information here: http://fiscaloffice.summitoh.net/index. ... tax-search" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
Alicialynn

Post by Alicialynn »

Ok, I think I understand. Thank you for your help. I believe the place I lived in turned a city some years ago. I just didn't know if because I'm not in a crowded neighborhood if it could be different because of my land/neighbor situtation.
BobK

Post by BobK »

If you live within Akron city limits, it is definitely against the law.

Akron municipal code is found here: http://library.municode.com/index.aspx? ... eName=Ohio" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here is the statute:
137.08 - Discharging firearms.

A. No person shall discharge a cannon, rifle, gun revolver, pistol or other firearm within the city. However, this section shall not apply to members of any military company when engaged in drilling or target practice under the command or direction of an officer thereof, or to the use of firearms in the lawful defense of person or property, or to shooting galleries operated in accordance with the ordinances of the city relating thereto, or to the use of firearms by members of the Police Division in the lawful discharge of their duty, or to the conduct of a hunt authorized pursuant to § 92.23 of this code.

B. Whoever violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor of the third degree. Penalty, see § 130.99.
If you live in a different city, they have their own law. Call city hall and ask them.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

BobK wrote:It all depends if you live inside city limits, or if you live in an unincorporated township.

If you are inside city limits, most all cities in Ohio have a municipal ordinance against discharging a firearm within city limits. It is usually a misdemeanor. Many municipalities (but not all) have their ordinances posted online -- usually at the city council's website.
Pataskala allows shooting. It's in the town charter, I believe. They actually publish a map showing for hunters showing the areas of the city that allow shooting.
And I think that Newark allows shooting, as long the bullets stay on your property. (Oughtta look that one up myself)
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

Hey Bob, look what I found!
672.14 DISCHARGING FIREARMS AND OTHER WEAPONS.
(a) No person shall shoot, force or throw by means of an air gun, BB gun, slingshot or other weapon or implement, either mechanical or nonmechanical, a lead, iron, stone or other hard substance upon any street, alley, lane, public place or place generally open to the public or upon any private land owned by another.
(Ord. 73-87. Passed 10-15-73.)

(b) Whoever violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor of the third degree and shall be subject to the penalty provided in Section 698.02.

672.145 DISCHARGE OF A FIREARM ON OR NEAR PROHIBITED PREMISES.
(a) No person shall do any of the following:

(1) Without permission from the proper officials and subject to division (b)(1) of this section, discharge a firearm upon or over a cemetery or within 100 yards of a cemetery;

(2) Subject to division (b)(2) of this section, discharge of a firearm on a lawn, park, pleasure ground, orchard, or other ground appurtenant to a schoolhouse, church, or inhabited dwelling, the property of another, or a charitable institution;

(3) Discharge a firearm upon or over a public road or highway.

(b) (1) Division (a)(1) of this section does not apply to a person who while on the person’s own land, discharges a firearm.

(2) Division (a)(2) of this section does not apply to a person who owns any type of property described in that division and who, while on the person’s own enclosure, discharges a firearm.

(c) Whoever violates division (a) of this section is guilty of discharge of a firearm on or near prohibited premises. A violation of division (a)(1) or (a)(2) of this section is a misdemeanor of the fourth degree. A violation of division (a)(3) of this section shall be punished as follows:

(1) Except as otherwise provided in division (c)(2) of this section, a violation of division (a)(3) of this section is a misdemeanor of the first degree.

(2) If the violation created a substantial risk of physical harm to any person, caused serious physical harm to property, caused physical harm to any person, or caused serious physical harm to any person, a violation of division (a)(3) is a felony to be prosecuted under appropriate state law.

(ORC 2923.162)
There's clear exceptions for landowners to shoot in Newark.
Pataskala and Newark are the two cities closest to me. No wonder nobody says anything to me about OC'ing.
This is a great place to live! :D 8)

I wonder how many Ohio cities actually do or don't outlaw shooting in the city limits?
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

In Stow you can shoot on your own land IF you have 25 acres of land.
Other than a golf course I don't know of any privately owned parcel of land in Stow that big.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
Alicialynn

Post by Alicialynn »

I'll have to cally city hall like someone suggested because I don't live in Akron city limits. I'm sure it'll still be a no, but no harm on at least asking.
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

Alicialynn wrote:I'll have to cally city hall like someone suggested because I don't live in Akron city limits. I'm sure it'll still be a no, but no harm on at least asking.
Why would you call Akron city hall if you do not live in city limits! Better to check with the Sheriff.
Abandon ye all HOPE!
jabeatty

Post by jabeatty »

Cruiser wrote:
Alicialynn wrote:I'll have to cally city hall like someone suggested because I don't live in Akron city limits. I'm sure it'll still be a no, but no harm on at least asking.
Why would you call Akron city hall if you do not live in city limits! Better to check with the Sheriff.
Better yet, look up the relevant ordinance online. Why call unneeded attention to yourself?
--
Someone edited my signature and deleted my posts, and all I got was... this edited signature.
BobK

Post by BobK »

If you tell me the city you live within, I'll find out for you if there is an ordinance against shooting on your land.

Alicialynn

Post by Alicialynn »

BobK wrote:
If you tell me the city you live within, I'll find out for you if there is an ordinance against shooting on your land.
Green
jabeatty wrote:
Cruiser wrote:
Better yet, look up the relevant ordinance online. Why call unneeded attention to yourself?
Yeah I didn't think of that, but I figured worse case they would just say no. No one really bothers us cause we are on the edge of green and are generally forgotten. Lol
landrvrnut22

Post by landrvrnut22 »

I live in New Franklin, the neighboring town. There is no restriction in New Franklin for shooting on your land. I shoot in the back yard all the time. However, Green may be different as they are a city, and not a village. Check before you do it.

A quick search of the Green ordances yielded:
672.11 DISCHARGE OF FIREARMS; HUNTING.
(a) Discharge of Firearms.

(1) Except as enumerated below, no person shall discharge, or cause to be discharged, a cannon, pistol, revolver or rifle within the city limits.

(2) No person shall negligently discharge, or cause to be discharged, any firearm in such manner as to cause the projectile or projectiles to exit the property on which the shooter is lawfully discharging said firearm.

(3) Lawful hunting sanctioned by the Ohio Division of Wildlife or the Ohio Division of Natural Resources within the boundaries of Nimisila Reservoir is not prohibited by this section.

(4) Discharge of a firearm in self-defense is not prohibited by this section.

(5) Organized firing of ceremonial salutes with blank ammunition by members of the military, veterans' organizations or police honor guard units is not prohibited by this section.

(6) Discharge of any authorized firearm by any law enforcement officer in the course of his or her duty within the City is not prohibited by this section.

(7) Shooting ranges operated by any law enforcement agency for the purpose of training and/or proficiency enhancement are not prohibited by this section.

(8) The discharge of shot guns, using bird shot, is not prohibited on a parcel of land consisting of 30 acres or more, providing that such discharge occurs more than 450 feet in the direction of fire and 350 feet from an adjoining property. Single projectile ammunition is prohibited.

(9) The landowner of 40 acres or more, or his or her designated agent, for purposes of nuisance animal control, may discharge a .22 caliber rimfire firearm, providing that such discharge occurs more than 350 feet from an adjoining property or public road.

(10) Trapped nuisance animals may be euthanized using a .22 caliber firearm.

(11) No person shall discharge a firearm on the property of another without first having obtained written permission from the property owner or other person having legal control of the property.
If you read the 2 sections I bolded, it seems a little confusing. 1 says you can't discharge, 2 says you can lawfully discharge, but not allow projectile to leave proprty. Maybe one of the legal beagles acan interpret is differently.
Alicialynn

Post by Alicialynn »

landrvrnut22 wrote:I live in New Franklin, the neighboring town. There is no restriction in New Franklin for shooting on your land. I shoot in the back yard all the time. However, Green may be different as they are a city, and not a village. Check before you do it.

A quick search of the Green ordances yielded:

(1) Except as enumerated below, no person shall discharge, or cause to be discharged, a cannon, pistol, revolver or rifle within the city limits.

(2) No person shall negligently discharge, or cause to be discharged, any firearm in such manner as to cause the projectile or projectiles to exit the property on which the shooter is lawfully discharging said firearm.

(3) Lawful hunting sanctioned by the Ohio Division of Wildlife or the Ohio Division of Natural Resources within the boundaries of Nimisila Reservoir is not prohibited by this section.

(5) Organized firing of ceremonial salutes with blank ammunition by members of the military, veterans' organizations or police honor guard units is not prohibited by this section.

(6) Discharge of any authorized firearm by any law enforcement officer in the course of his or her duty within the City is not prohibited by this section.

(7) Shooting ranges operated by any law enforcement agency for the purpose of training and/or proficiency enhancement are not prohibited by this section.

(8) The discharge of shot guns, using bird shot, is not prohibited on a parcel of land consisting of 30 acres or more, providing that such discharge occurs more than 450 feet in the direction of fire and 350 feet from an adjoining property. Single projectile ammunition is prohibited.

(9) The landowner of 40 acres or more, or his or her designated agent, for purposes of nuisance animal control, may discharge a .22 caliber rimfire firearm, providing that such discharge occurs more than 350 feet from an adjoining property or public road.

(11) No person shall discharge a firearm on the property of another without first having obtained written permission from the property owner or other person having legal control of the property.
If you read the 2 sections I bolded, it seems a little confusing. 1 says you can't discharge, 2 says you can lawfully discharge, but not allow projectile to leave proprty. Maybe one of the legal beagles acan interpret is differently.
Hmm, that is weird. The projectiles wouldn't be leaving my yard at all. Well I hope someone can explain that a little better otherwise I'm inviting myself to you place to shoot lol. I'll bring food ;)
BobK

Post by BobK »

The key phrase is "except as enumerated below". Basically, (1) says you cannot shoot "a cannon, pistol, revolver or rifle" anywhere in the city unless it meets one of the below exceptions (3) through (11).

Then (2) comes along as a catch-all and says, if you were shooting under one of the exceptions listed in (3) through (11), it is unlawful if the projectile left the property.

When you look at (3) through (11), there are a few that would apply to private citizens, including:

Bottom line, you are NOT ALLOWED to target shoot in your back yard as you described it.