Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railroad?

This forum is dedicated to the discussion of organizations that have declared their intent to cater to society's criminal element by prohibiting the legal carry of firearms on their premises. Please submit new CPZs to the DNPWA database on OhioCCW.org

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

foolmcfoolish

Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railroad?

Post by foolmcfoolish »

Hello,
Has anyone ridden the Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railroad? I cannot find any information on thier site and after 20 minutes of phone trees I found out they we closed for the day. Unless they have something on the back of the ticket or signs on the station/train I should be ok.

Thanks
Andrew
dan dan the XD40 man

Re: Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railroad?

Post by dan dan the XD40 man »

Thats part of the National Park systems right? If so, I'll place a call to C.R. on Monday, I've spoken with him a couple of times before and he's always been a friend of the 2A, so I think he would give me an honest answer. LMK
Poop!
dan dan the XD40 man

Voicemail left for Chris this afternoon, will post his response when received.
Poop!
djmac1964
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by djmac1964 »

If this falls under the National Park System, wouldn't it be subject to the same rules as the State and Local Parks? And if that were so, would the railroad be the same as a building or structure other than a restroom or picnic shelter, thus making it off limits to CCW? I realize it's not a permanent structure that is on a piece of property, but it is a structure just the same even though it's mobile. I don't know for sure, and hopefully Dan will have better info when the individual that he contacted gets back to him, but it would make sense the way I understand the laws to read. Especially if it is actually owned by the National Park System :(
Don M
U S Army Veteran 84-91
OFCC Patron Member
NRA Life Member
ORPA Member
WVCDL Member
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor / RSO

Want to become more active with OFCC, and the fight for your rights? Click the link to find out how!
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=64852
foolmcfoolish

Post by foolmcfoolish »

Thank you, wasn't looking at it like that. I believe the railroad is run under the park service.

From the website "Today, the historic rails are owned by the National Park Service as part of its goal to preserve the significant cultural resources in the Cuyahoga Valley. The organization operates the excursion train through the Cuyahoga Valley National Park in cooperation with the National Park Service."

I wonder if that means the park service owns the land but the rail road (and its trains) is a private company which would send it back to looking for signs.

Andrew

Edit ( I'm not planning to tour any of the sites, ie: buildings. My daughter just wants to ride a train so we are going to take it from Akron to Independence and meet my brother in law for lunch then take a return trip to akron)
djmac1964
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by djmac1964 »

foolmcfoolish wrote:Thank you, wasn't looking at it like that. I believe the railroad is run under the park service.

From the website "Today, the historic rails are owned by the National Park Service as part of its goal to preserve the significant cultural resources in the Cuyahoga Valley. The organization operates the excursion train through the Cuyahoga Valley National Park in cooperation with the National Park Service."

I wonder if that means the park service owns the land but the rail road (and its trains) is a private company which would send it back to looking for signs.

Andrew

Edit ( I'm not planning to tour any of the sites, ie: buildings. My daughter just wants to ride a train so we are going to take it from Akron to Independence and meet my brother in law for lunch then take a return trip to akron)
When you find a definite answer please post it, I would like to know for sure myself. I have a couple of grand kids that I might like to take on it a some point! Hopefully Dan's contact can provide some quality info!
Don M
U S Army Veteran 84-91
OFCC Patron Member
NRA Life Member
ORPA Member
WVCDL Member

Want to become more active with OFCC, and the fight for your rights? Click the link to find out how!
Leone

Post by Leone »

I'm pretty sure they serve alcohol on the train.
muxtech

Post by muxtech »

Leone wrote:I'm pretty sure they serve alcohol on the train.
Doh!

Can you take the train from Independence to Akron and back or does it only originate in the park?
The British are going! The British are going!
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

Leone wrote:I'm pretty sure they serve alcohol on the train.
I took the train years ago during the day for a home schoolers event. No alcohol was served, and I didn't see a concession area on the train at all.

Did something change?
RIFLEWOMAN, wife of a RIFLEMAN, mom of 9, NRA life member, OFCC Patron member!
foolmcfoolish

Post by foolmcfoolish »

Hello,
I called today. I didn't ask specifically about ccw because I am hoping Dan hears back from Chris. I did find out they do server alcohol after 1pm. I researched the liquor control website and found they have a class E permit. If I remember and have read correctly the cpz law only applies to class D permits.
CUYAHOGA VALLEY PRESERVATION & SCENIC R $CUYAHOGA VALLEY SCENIC RAILROAD $1664 W MAIN ST $PO BOX 158 $PENINSULA OH 44264-0000$SUMMIT $E

You can get off the train and get back on the next one. Their daily trips start in Independence go to Akron, and return to Independence. There are 3 trips a day. Also, they have a small train the runs from Canton to Akron and back twice a day

Andrew
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

According to their website, the Park Service owns the rails. The actual trains are owned by a volunteer organization, and it sounds like it is run by the organization itself, either volunteer, or the RR's hired staff. It doesn't sound like the railroad has much connection with the Park other than using the Park's rails. I don't know from the site who owns the depot buildings.

I can't tell from the website if alcohol is served on every train after 1pm or if it is only served for specialty trains. If it is only on specialty trains, and not otherwise posted, it ought to be okay for ordinary trains.

The caveat is the destination. If you get off at Hale, for instance, what would you do if they are posted?
RIFLEWOMAN, wife of a RIFLEMAN, mom of 9, NRA life member, OFCC Patron member!
dan dan the XD40 man

I did talk to Chris briefly just a moment ago. To the best of his knowledge, the train are owned by a private company, but are not posted. He did state that he would look into it further and give me another phone call with better information. Thats all I have for now.
Poop!
foolmcfoolish

Post by foolmcfoolish »

I went today. I checked all the infomation boards at the station, the doors to the ticket office, and the train and sufficed it to say they are not a CPZ. There was nothing on the ticket and no mention of any policys durring the welcome aboard speach. The RR is a private not for profit corperation. We rode roundtrip so I do not know about the biuldings at any of the turisty stops.

CPZ talk aside the Cuyahoga Valley Senic Railroad is a nice trip. We did the Canton flyer which runs between Canton and Akron. We could have then switched trains and gone on to Independence but a 3hr round trip was enough for my daughter. We spent $32 for two adult tickets including tax and got a sandwitch in the cafe car for $2. If you want to get a sandwitch or a nicknac on the train the prices are very good.

I highly recomend a trip. If was a fun experience and it was nice to be able to exercise a freedom while doing it.
Thanks
Andrew
djmac1964
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by djmac1964 »

foolmcfoolish wrote:I went today. I checked all the infomation boards at the station, the doors to the ticket office, and the train and sufficed it to say they are not a CPZ. There was nothing on the ticket and no mention of any policys durring the welcome aboard speach. The RR is a private not for profit corperation. We rode roundtrip so I do not know about the biuldings at any of the turisty stops.

CPZ talk aside the Cuyahoga Valley Senic Railroad is a nice trip. We did the Canton flyer which runs between Canton and Akron. We could have then switched trains and gone on to Independence but a 3hr round trip was enough for my daughter. We spent $32 for two adult tickets including tax and got a sandwitch in the cafe car for $2. If you want to get a sandwitch or a nicknac on the train the prices are very good.

I highly recomend a trip. If was a fun experience and it was nice to be able to exercise a freedom while doing it.
Thanks
Andrew
Thanks for the follow up, Sounds like fun!
Don M
U S Army Veteran 84-91
OFCC Patron Member
NRA Life Member
ORPA Member
WVCDL Member

huskybiker

Post by huskybiker »

Rode the CVSR "Polar Express" last night with my granddaughter. Carried with no problems whatsoever. The little ones had a blast. I recommend it to any one with small children.