Scioto County CCL Experience

If you have questions or know the answers to questions about the application and renewal process this forum is for you. Post your experiences or ask your new applicant questions here.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

dynamike
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Scioto County CCL Experience

Post by dynamike »

I just picked up my CCL from Scioto County today. I live and work in Pike. I decided to go with Scioto based on phone calls to the sheriff's offices.

I am a Veteran five years out of the service. I was initially signed up to take an NRA course. I found the provision allowing me to bypass the course for my permit. I called Pike and Scioto counties to ask what I needed in order to prove my militarty service and to ask if it was an issue that I didn't fire or even carry a weapon routinely.

When I called Pike, the lady I spoke with wasn't able to answer my question. She said that the deputy that handles CCLs was out and would be in the next day. She took my info and said she would call me back. I waited for a couple of days and called again only to leave a message on her voicemail. After another couple of days and still no call, I decided to try another sheriff's office.

I called Scioto County and was put in touch with the CCL person. He told me all I needed was a copy (not registered or notarized) of my DD-214 (seperation papers) showing that I was honerably discharged in the last 6 years. He asked how long I had been a resident of Ohio and informed me that I would have to pay $XX for the background check and application. He told me, without being asked, that he would take my application anytime during normal office hours of 8-4.

It was a no brainer at that point.

I applied in late June. He told me that as long as there were no issues with my background check that he would mail a letter on July 12 telling me it was ready. I got the letter on July 10 and just picked up my CCL today.

Way to go Scioto County!
Mike

I am an engineering statistician, US Submarine Veteran, avid motorcyclist, and staunch supporter of Liberty.

Ohio Director Students for Concealed Carry
Harleys&Guns
Location: Pike County in South Central Ohio (50 miles from everywhere)

Re: Scioto County CCL Experience

Post by Harleys&Guns »

Glad to hear that things went well for you. I also live in Pike County and after talking to a friend of mine that is a deputy on the Pike Co Sheriff's Dept, I decided (along with his suggestion) to go to Highland County and get my license there. Highland Co was very easy and cooperative in both my fiance's and my applications. We dropped them off mid morning and picked them up the next day, actually less than 24 hours as I recall. Anyway, Im glad it worked out so good and easy and its always good to see another Pike Countian on here. I was beginning to think that I was the only one from Pike on these forums...LOL
The most terrifying sound in nature is not the roar of a charging lion,nor the whistle of a descending bomb; rather it is a "click" when expecting a "BANG"!

2007 Harley Davidson Dyna Wide Glide- 103" Screaming Eagle
2008 Harley Davidson Sportster 883 Low (wife's ride)
US Army Vet- Ft Wood Mo-A Co. 501st S&T Bn.Furth,W Germany
4th Spt Bn. (Main) Nurnberg,WGermany-Op. Desert Shield/Storm '90-'91
dynamike
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by dynamike »

Harleys&Guns wrote:its always good to see another Pike Countian on here. I was beginning to think that I was the only one from Pike on these forums...LOL
Nor are you the only Pike Countian on here who rides :wink:
Mike

I am an engineering statistician, US Submarine Veteran, avid motorcyclist, and staunch supporter of Liberty.

Ohio Director Students for Concealed Carry
Harleys&Guns
Location: Pike County in South Central Ohio (50 miles from everywhere)

Post by Harleys&Guns »

that sounds good as well.........maybe a ride is in order sometime.....lol.........let me know when, as both me and my fiance ride me(2007 HD Dyna Wide Glide her(2008 HD Sportster 883)
The most terrifying sound in nature is not the roar of a charging lion,nor the whistle of a descending bomb; rather it is a "click" when expecting a "BANG"!

2007 Harley Davidson Dyna Wide Glide- 103" Screaming Eagle
2008 Harley Davidson Sportster 883 Low (wife's ride)
US Army Vet- Ft Wood Mo-A Co. 501st S&T Bn.Furth,W Germany
4th Spt Bn. (Main) Nurnberg,WGermany-Op. Desert Shield/Storm '90-'91
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

dynamike wrote:I called Scioto County and was put in touch with the CCL person. He told me all I needed was a copy (not registered or notarized) of my DD-214 (seperation papers) showing that I was honerably discharged in the last 6 years.
Way to go Scioto County!
Yeah well! Good for you, but the Sheriff is not following the law as written. A veteran is also supposed to show proof of firarms training. Of which you admit to not having!
I am a veteran but still cannot understand how the various Sheriffs like to bend the law. :roll: We can't!
Abandon ye all HOPE!
BobK

Post by BobK »

Cruiser wrote:A veteran is also supposed to show proof of firarms training. Of which you admit to not having!
Actually, what he said was:
and to ask if it was an issue that I didn't fire or even carry a weapon routinely.
If he had a stateside desk job, he would not have routinely carried a weapon. I think the issue of pistol training is ambiguous -- we don't know if he was ever trained or not.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

BobK wrote:
Cruiser wrote:A veteran is also supposed to show proof of firarms training. Of which you admit to not having!
Actually, what he said was:
and to ask if it was an issue that I didn't fire or even carry a weapon routinely.
If he had a stateside desk job, he would not have routinely carried a weapon. I think the issue of pistol training is ambiguous -- we don't know if he was ever trained or not.
But you are not denieing that Ohio Law does required verification of related training?
Abandon ye all HOPE!
cashman966
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by cashman966 »

Cruiser wrote:
dynamike wrote:I called Scioto County and was put in touch with the CCL person. He told me all I needed was a copy (not registered or notarized) of my DD-214 (seperation papers) showing that I was honerably discharged in the last 6 years.
Way to go Scioto County!
Yeah well! Good for you, but the Sheriff is not following the law as written. A veteran is also supposed to show proof of firarms training. Of which you admit to not having!
I am a veteran but still cannot understand how the various Sheriffs like to bend the law. :roll: We can't!
I don't think they are bending the law, I have never been in the military so maybe I am off in my assumptions but here goes nothing.

I assume that to get an honorable discharge one would need to have successfully completed basic training. And to get through basic training one is required to successfully complete firearms training.

The law states:
(d) A document that evidences both of the following:

(i) That the applicant is an active or reserve member of the armed forces of the United States, was honorably discharged from military service in the active or reserve armed forces of the United States, is a retired trooper of the state highway patrol, or is a retired peace officer or federal law enforcement officer described in division (B)(1) of this section or a retired person described in division (B)(1)(b) of section 109.77 of the Revised Code and division (B)(1) of this section;

(ii) That, through participation in the military service or through the former employment described in division (B)(3)(d)(i) of this section, the applicant acquired experience with handling handguns or other firearms, and the experience so acquired was equivalent to training that the applicant could have acquired in a course, class, or program described in division (B)(3)(a), (b), or (c) of this section.
I would guess most of the training received in basic would be centered on the M16A2, don't know if pistol training is part of basic or not, but I would bet that the rifle training alone amounts to many more than 10 hours of instruction and 2 hours of range time. I also would bet that the training far exceeds the training required to receive a competency certificate.

Since the law allows for experience with handguns or other firearms, I submit that a DD-214 showing an honorable discharge meet both requirements because it shows that:

1) The applicant was honorably discharged
2) Because the applicant received an honorable discharge, basic training, which includes firearms training, had been completed
Last edited by cashman966 on Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ignorant or Stupid, I'm not sure which is worse. If someone were stupid, at least they'd have an excuse for all the dumb things they say.

Pass the Peace Pipe I need another hit

IANAL and neither are most people on this board, its just shows more with some than others.
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

cashman966 wrote:(ii) That, through participation in the military service or through the former employment described in division (B)(3)(d)(i) of this section, the applicant acquired experience with handling handguns or other firearms, and the experience so acquired was equivalent to training that the applicant could have acquired in a course, class, or program described in division (B)(3)(a), (b), or (c) of this section.

[/quote]
But is it equivalent to (B)(3)(a), (b), or (c) of this section?
Abandon ye all HOPE!
cashman966
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by cashman966 »

Cruiser wrote:
cashman966 wrote:(ii) That, through participation in the military service or through the former employment described in division (B)(3)(d)(i) of this section, the applicant acquired experience with handling handguns or other firearms, and the experience so acquired was equivalent to training that the applicant could have acquired in a course, class, or program described in division (B)(3)(a), (b), or (c) of this section.

But is it equivalent to (B)(3)(a), (b), or (c) of this section?
I would say yes, or at least I certainally hope so, if it isn't our military is in big trouble.

Division (G) lays out the specific training requirements of the course. Since (d)(ii) allows the experience to apply to any firearm the only requirement that I can see not met is that the military probably did not provide the applicant with the AG's website, and that point is moot because (B)(3)(d) only requires experience handling firearms equivalent to the training the applicant could have received in a course.
(G)(1) Each course, class, or program described in division (B)(3)(a), (b), (c), or (e) of this section shall provide to each person who takes the course, class, or program the web site address at which the pamphlet prepared by the Ohio peace officer training commission pursuant to section 109.731 of the Revised Code that reviews firearms, dispute resolution, and use of deadly force matters may be found. Each such course, class, or program described in one of those divisions shall include at least twelve hours of training in the safe handling and use of a firearm that shall include all of the following:

(a) At least ten hours of training on the following matters: (i) The ability to name, explain, and demonstrate the rules for safe handling of a handgun (or other firearms) and proper storage practices for handguns (or other firearms) and ammunition;

(ii) The ability to demonstrate and explain how to handle ammunition in a safe manner;

(iii) The ability to demonstrate the knowledge, skills, and attitude necessary to shoot a handgun (or other firearms) in a safe manner;

(iv) Gun handling training.

(b) At least two hours of training that consists of range time and live-fire training.

(2) To satisfactorily complete the course, class, or program described in division (B)(3)(a), (b), (c), or (e) of this section, the applicant shall pass a competency examination that shall include both of the following:

(a) A written section on the ability to name and explain the rules for the safe handling of a handgun (or other firearms) and proper storage practices for handguns (or other firearms) and ammunition;

(b) A physical demonstration of competence in the use of a handgun (or other firearms) and in the rules for safe handling and storage of a handgun (or other firearms) and a physical demonstration of the attitude necessary to shoot a handgun (or other firearms) in a safe manner.
As I said I never went through basic training so maybe my assumption is wrong. Perhaps you or someone else who has completed basic can tell me if the training they received was at least as comprehensive as what is listed in division (G)

I gather from your posts you don't think that the training you received in basic meets the requirements, is that what you are saying?
Ignorant or Stupid, I'm not sure which is worse. If someone were stupid, at least they'd have an excuse for all the dumb things they say.

IANAL and neither are most people on this board, its just shows more with some than others.
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

I went through Navy Basic in 1963, never fired a gun at all!
Abandon ye all HOPE!
cashman966
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by cashman966 »

Cruiser wrote:I went through Navy Basic in 1963, never fired a gun at all!
Looks like you missed out, according to the Navy Recruit training guide They now provide classroom, simulator and live fire training for both pistol and shotgun.

AlanM

Post by AlanM »

cashman966 wrote:
Cruiser wrote:I went through Navy Basic in 1963, never fired a gun at all!
Looks like you missed out, according to the Navy Recruit training guide They now provide classroom, simulator and live fire training for both pistol and shotgun.
Me, boot camp in San Diego, in '65.
Total boot camp firearms experience, 5 rounds with a 1911 and 8 rounds with an M1 Garand.

I qualified Pistol Expert with a 1911 at Great Lakes Naval Station in '75 for my own reasons not for any military requirement. I did get to wear the ribbon and medal though. :wink:
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.