Anyone know if you can carry at the Cleveland Zoo

This forum is dedicated to the discussion of organizations that have declared their intent to cater to society's criminal element by prohibiting the legal carry of firearms on their premises. Please submit new CPZs to the DNPWA database on OhioCCW.org

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Spartan

Anyone know if you can carry at the Cleveland Zoo

Post by Spartan »

Girlfriend wants to go soon. Anyone know if there are any of those no-carry signs?
muxtech

Re: Anyone know if you can carry at the Cleveland Zoo

Post by muxtech »

I'm going to guess it's a CPZ. We might suddenly decide we're big game hunters. :roll:

And welcome to the forum.
The British are going! The British are going!
dclaarjr

Post by dclaarjr »

We took the grandsons to the Cleveland Zoo last summer. I didn't see any signs, but I did lock my gun up in the car, so I could enter the buildings.
NRA Certified Instructor for Basic Handgun and Personal Protection.
OFCC Member
4 County Conservation Club Member
US Army Veteran
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Thanks and thanks...
gilly32
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by gilly32 »

If I understand correctly, the Cleveland Zoo is part of the Cleveland Metroparks System where you are allowed to carry (with a valid CHL), as long as you don't enter any of the buildings, unless the building is strickly a restroom. So if you want to carry at the zoo, you would not be able to go into any of the exhibition buildings, gift shop, or restaurants (I don't remember if any of the restaurants are enclosed), but buildings used solely as a restroom are fine.

Be safe, and carry on!
"The right to keep and bear arms is rooted in both self-defense and insurance against government’s propensity toward tyranny. The right pre-existed the Constitution. Thus, the Second Amendment is not its source. The right to keep and bear arms is natural and inalienable; the Second Amendment protects it, and Congress has no legitimate power to restrict it." - Senator John Cornyn (R., Tex.), as reported in the National Review on July 4, 2016

Burma Shave
BigV

Post by BigV »

My wife took our 12 year old back in the summer. She said it was NOT posted and she DID carry.
BigV
TPT140MP

Post by TPT140MP »

I was there today with my wife and baby daughter. It was not posted anywhere that I could see, but I did notice that they sold alcohol (beer) for consumption on the premesis. I checked their permits, and this is what I found:

PERMIT HOLDER-----------------CLASSES ORIGINAL QUOTA
------------------------------_______ ISSUE DATE EXEMPT

0252635 D5 11/29/2007 NONE
D6 11/29/2007 NONE
ARAMARK FOOD SERVICE LLC
DBA CLEVELAND ZOO
3900 WILDLIFE WAY
CLEVELAND OHIO 44144

LLC / PARTNERSHIP DATA INTEREST STATUS
ARAMARK ENTERTAINMENT LLC MNMB5%V5%M
CHRISTOPHER S HOLLAND TREASURER
ELIZABETH B CARTMELL PRESIDENT
PATRICIA RAPONE VICE PRES.
MEGAN C TIMMINS SECRETARY

According to what I can tell, carry is not allowed there due to the D5 permit. However, I also have read where beer is not considered as "liquor", which is the terminology found in ORC 2923.121. So, I'm still a bit confused, but I didn't carry in the zoo today just to be on the safe side. Anyone here who can shed some light on this and let me know whether I'm right or wrong is more than welcome to do so- I don't mind being corrected if I'm wrong. :-)
M50B06

Post by M50B06 »

Last time I went there-unless things have changed-they were posted all over the place to include the restrooms but it has been about a year since I was there last. They also have class D license-I left mine in the safe in the truck when I went in
Grantrus71

Post by Grantrus71 »

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think it matters whether it is beer, wine, or liquor being served for consumption on premises. As long as it's an alcoholic beverage being served for consumption on premises, right? (D permit)
"I think they're delusionary. I think they've had something funny for lunch in their meal. I think they should be handcuffed to a chain link fence, flogged and all of their hearsay evidence should be thrown the hell out and if they lie again, I'm gonna go over and kick 'em in the crotch. Thank you very much." -James Traficant
BobK

Post by BobK »

Grantrus71 wrote:Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think it matters whether it is beer, wine, or liquor being served for consumption on premises.
Well, you have re-opened one of the great debates.

That statute uses the language "in any room in which any person is consuming liquor". Keyboard lawyers will argue that elsewhere the statutes define liquor as "wine and spirits", excluding beer. Thus, if they are only selling beer you could legally be armed.

The other side of the debate is that approximately 99.44% of policemen and prosecutors would not appreciate that distinction and would be perfectly willing to prosecute someone carrying in a beer-only Class D establishment.

Bottom line, it is ultimately up to a jury. If someone has the time, money, and willingness to risk a felony conviction they are welcome to volunteer as a test case.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

...Where do they sell beer, at what location ? :?
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
actionman

Post by actionman »

The cleveland zoo has A beer stand past the rhinos.