Behavior & Moderator Complaints

This area is for discussions that do not fit into the formal firearms discussions of the website. Common sense and non-controversial contributions are expected. Certain topics are forbidden. See the forum rules for more details.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

sodbuster95
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Behavior & Moderator Complaints

Post by sodbuster95 »

Jake wrote: Kidding aside, I just don't see a value of having a Private Forum for OFCC Members.
I'm sure there will always be those who disagree, and my word is far from the "Voice of Finality".
One "unintended" consequence of a members-only forum may be that a lot of the valuable discourse that occurs here, out in the open, may end up relegated to the "private" side of things.

If that value were removed from the public site, I wonder how many new "recruits" would stick around after coming here? I'm not sure I would have stayed here, and given my money to OFCC, had I not seen the value of these forums. Which is not to diminish the rest of the valuable things OFCC does in any way, but my first "impression" was here and it's why I've stayed.
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Information posted in these forums is my personal opinion only. It is not intended, nor should it be construed, as legal advice.
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Squirrel wrote:
carmen fovozzo wrote:..So when are you coming up with the 25 Squirley...? :roll:

2/17/2011 is my expiration date so it was around 2/17/2010. I expected that question and cannot fault you for asking it. I should have my Site Supporter Tag soon. I thought I sent the PM in February but apparently I didn't because It didn't show up in my sent items. I had to have clicked wrong somewhere in the process sending the PM to Daniel. I resent it the other night.
...Ah, the old checks in the mail bit. Just kiddin... :)
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
pleasantguywhopacks
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by pleasantguywhopacks »

I don't think we need a cooling off period for new members. Didn't we have some similar for buying a gun thing during the Clinton years? :evil: Did ya like that?

Besides, working the gun shows we are promoting that one benefit to joining is prompt answers to questions and a warm welcome to new members. And we are selling memberships fellas. Our paid numbers are growing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOxXpNBdrVE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away!
Life Member NRA
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

willbird wrote: I think it WOULD work, I'm quite sure you guys have a private moderator forum......right ?? It takes up to 6 weeks to become a member from what it just told me today when I coughed up my $25 to become an OFCC member via the web store.

Bill

Willbird, you've been freeloading all this time? Shame, Shame.

Anyone over 250 posts should be payimg up......forget the special forum.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
willbird
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by willbird »

Mr. Glock wrote:
willbird wrote: I think it WOULD work, I'm quite sure you guys have a private moderator forum......right ?? It takes up to 6 weeks to become a member from what it just told me today when I coughed up my $25 to become an OFCC member via the web store.

Bill

Willbird, you've been freeloading all this time? Shame, Shame.

Anyone over 250 posts should be payimg up......forget the special forum.
Freeloading ?? No, I put my $$ in the cookie jar at gunshows for years pre HB12, and even took part in one of the HB12 walks, signed petitions.....in short I honestly think I have been more of a member...........than some members are :-).

Bill
Have a great day today unless you have made other plans :-).
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Whoa!! slow down!! I am not asking for the whole site to be members only. Just a forum like any other for members only. I would not want it to take anything away from what is already in place. I agree that the reason some people actually Join OFCC is because of the public forum and warm welcomes. All I was saying was add a forum for Members only. And as far as the cooling off period, That was not where I was going. I was saying in order to SELL not reply to the posts but to create one in the For Sale or Trade.

I still think adding a private members only forum would be a nice addition and Only an addition.

It will not change my love for this place either way.
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

Personally, I'm in favor of torturing the mods at any opportunity....

:mrgreen:

(Just ask Chris....)

(& Jake....)

Seriously, a vote FOR the guys running the show. I'm a mod elsewhere, and am fortunate that my duties are quite limited. The guys at the upper levels - here and there - have a LOT of work to do that's not always visible. We need to remember this, and be sure to put some nice mints on the bricks we toss at 'em, or something like that.... :D

I missed that thread referred to above (with the Police Chief). I'll have to take some time to find it. My usual problem with closing threads is that I just found 'em, wanted to say something, and, poof.... But it's often quite possible to see negative trends that are sort of asking for The Lock. And some things just don't really need to be discussed. Not to mention an occasional lapse of temper.... Do what's necessary....

Now if we can just keep Scavok away from the new members before they get used to the rest of us. :D

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
willbird
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by willbird »

Squirrel wrote:Whoa!! slow down!! I am not asking for the whole site to be members only. Just a forum like any other for members only. I would not want it to take anything away from what is already in place. I agree that the reason some people actually Join OFCC is because of the public forum and warm welcomes. All I was saying was add a forum for Members only. And as far as the cooling off period, That was not where I was going. I was saying in order to SELL not reply to the posts but to create one in the For Sale or Trade.

I still think adding a private members only forum would be a nice addition and Only an addition.

It will not change my love for this place either way.
And as far as a "cooling off period".....what I was talking about was the time lag between joining, and everything being set into place......this is not an intentional delay, but it does take time, and it would weed out a lot of interlopers.

Bill
Have a great day today unless you have made other plans :-).
charben
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by charben »

Is it just me, or has this completely drifted off topic? Perhaps we need to edit the title... ;)
Chris

Crushing the First Amendment, one post at a time!

"If you walk out of your house carrying your gun (openly or otherwise) and you DO NOT fully understand the law, then you are NOT completely armed..."
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

Chris:

Hm....

Are we supposed to be complaining, or misbehaving? :mrgreen:

(Sammy's treed something, or vice versa. Please insert telephone book pages here.... :D)

Regards,
Stu.

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
FireEMSPolice
*** Banned ***

Post by FireEMSPolice »

I love the forums and stuff but feel at times its over-moderated.
GatorNavy

Post by GatorNavy »

sodbuster95 wrote:
BobK wrote:Here is an example where I would have gladly welcomed more forceful moderation before the ship was sunk. I'd even welcome retroactive moderation to delete the most doofus material so that we don't preserve this idiocy for eternity and keep it on display for all to read.
I think that thread was a tough call. There was a lot of emotion involved, to be sure, but there are strong feelings on the topic, particularly given some of the statements made during the encounter.

If they would have closed it too early, people wouldn't have been happy as they would have lacked the forum to air grievances (and probably just started another thread). Conversely, you don't want to let it go too long and let it get out of hand.

I think they picked about the right spot, given how fast the thread grew.

Personally, I decided early on to stay out of that fray.

Dang, I missed this thread, sounds like a fun one though
Come and get'em
MikeB
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by MikeB »

OK, I am not sure if this is the place for this but....The whole can't edit your posts after x amount of time is a bit irritating. I understand this was meant to prevent people from editing their for sale posts and jacking the price up but I really think OFCC needs to reevaluate the cost-benefit analysis on this. It does not seem to be an issue on any other board I frequent.

Just throwing this out there...
"Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty."
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

MikeB wrote:OK, I am not sure if this is the place for this but....The whole can't edit your posts after x amount of time is a bit irritating. I understand this was meant to prevent people from editing their for sale posts and jacking the price up but I really think OFCC needs to reevaluate the cost-benefit analysis on this. It does not seem to be an issue on any other board I frequent.

Just throwing this out there...
AFAIK - That's NOT the reason that the time limit was placed on editing posts.
That is, however, IMHO, a positive effect of the policy.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

MikeB:

I think the timer's there 'cause Alan's little buddy used to jump on the keyboard and.... :mrgreen:

(Sammy likes to try that, too.... He destroyed the keyboard on one of my notebooks.... :D)

I'm not sure of the real reason, but one thing I like is that if you need to amend a posting, you're forced to put another entry on the board.

Just IMHO, of course....

If I were king, the idea of changing an old post would bother me because my moderators may have already seen (and passed) something that later wandered off the TOS, without anybody noticing it. As a mod elsewhere, I've not seen this, but I'm aware of the possibility. While this board isn't too restrictive (nor is the one I mod), and moderation is NOT required to get a post on the board, "free" editing makes even the casual moderation of posts a lot more difficult.

We'd probably have to go to fully moderated posting, and since the guys who run this show aren't getting paid, that could be a nasty problem. The short window allows you to play with the message in one setting, more or less. You can still delete it (I think - never tried) if it's too wrong, and post again, but that's about it.

It is, however, required to complain about the moderators. Keep's 'em aware that we notice them :D.... (And they do a pretty good job, IMHO. 'Course, if I tell you what I really think, I'm toast.... :mrgreen:)

Regards,
Stu.

יזכר לא עד פעם