Post Office parking lot?

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Birdman

Post Office parking lot?

Post by Birdman »

Is this true? A Post Office parking lot is a no gun zone? Even in a locked glove compartment in a public parking lot (non-employee)?
Also, I saw a sign in a Post Office window that says your vehicle and person are subject to search?
WTH"eck"?
USPS spokesperson Joanne Vito told the Examiner.com that 39 CFR 232.1(l)

“applies to anyone coming into a Post Office or a Postal facility. The regulation prohibiting the possession of firearms or other weapons applies to all real property under the charge and control of the Postal Service. . . . Both open and concealed possession are prohibited, so storage of a weapon on a car parked in a lot that is under the charge and control of the Postal Service would be prohibited.”

Philip Van Cleave, President of the Virginia Citizens Defense League . . . said that the Postal Service is just “setting a trap” for the many gun owners who now carry their guns on a daily basis and may not even know about this parking lot gun ban. “Even the National Park gun ban allowed folks to store their guns in their cars,” said Van Cleave . .
Examiner.com article
Did I miss something in class? I certainly knew not to carry concealed inside, but I can't even leave it in the car?
I can send a long gun by USPS. Just how do I do that? Give the gun a heave-ho through the window from the street?
B8) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U. S. Postal Service?

A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own state or to a licensee in any state. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. A nonlicensee may not transfer any firearm to a nonlicensed resident of another state. The Postal Service recommends that longguns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms.
What a screwed up government!
“It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people’s minds”-Sam Adams

"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot."
- Mark Twain, Notebook, 1935
Imcrazy

Re: Post Office parking lot?

Post by Imcrazy »

I don't use the post office anyhow.

UPS costs more but its not run by the gov't the gov't gets too much of my stinkin money as it is.
-Aaron
pleasantguywhopacks
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by pleasantguywhopacks »

Imcrazy wrote:I don't use the post office anyhow.

UPS costs more but its not run by the gov't the gov't gets too much of my stinkin money as it is.
Uhmm UPS posts so the OP gains nothing by going there.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOxXpNBdrVE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away!
Life Member NRA
usmc5831

Post by usmc5831 »

WOW! :oops: I have done screwed that law up then. I had no clue you could not possess in your vehicle either. I WAS locking in the trunk and re-arming when I came back out. Guess I will stop that bad habit now :evil:
Semper Fi
pleasantguywhopacks
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Changes nothing on how I conduct my USPS buisness. I'll leave it at that.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOxXpNBdrVE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Life Member NRA
BobK

Post by BobK »

(p) Penalties and other law. (1) Alleged violations of these rules and regulations are heard, and the penalties prescribed herein are imposed, either in a Federal district court or by a Federal magistrate in accordance with applicable court rules. Questions regarding such rules should be directed to the regional counsel for the region involved.

(2) Whoever shall be found guilty of violating the rules and regulations in this section while on property under the charge and control of the Postal Service is subject to fine of not more than $50 or imprisonment of not more than 30 days, or both. Nothing contained in these rules and regulations shall be construed to abrogate any other Federal laws or regulations of any State and local laws and regulations applicable to any area in which the property is situated.
I am shaking in my boots.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
Imcrazy

Post by Imcrazy »

pleasantguywhopacks wrote:

Hrm none of the UPS stores around me do.
-Aaron
usmc5831

Post by usmc5831 »

pleasantguywhopacks wrote:Changes nothing on how I conduct my USPS buisness. I'll leave it at that.
Point noted.
Semper Fi
pleasantguywhopacks
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Imcrazy wrote:

Try shipping a handgun and you will have to use a UPS service center, they are posted. I suspect the stores are as well but I have no first hand knowledge as I live close to a service center than is most definitely posted in multiple places.
Life Member NRA
Ed_S

Post by Ed_S »

pleasantguywhopacks wrote:Changes nothing on how I conduct my USPS buisness. I'll leave it at that.
My thought and feeling exactly.
Ed_S from Youngstown Ohio

It's not WHAT you carry - it's THAT you carry!
FormerNavy

Post by FormerNavy »

Imcrazy wrote:

The UPS Store in Fairfield is not posted either.
docpadds

Post by docpadds »

Well then not only have i been bad having guns in the parking lot, I've had them in the building too, sometimes 4 or 5 at a time....

Of course as an FL we are allows to ship via USPS but technically we arent allowed carry the package with the gun into the office.... bizarre laws.
https://t.me/pump_upp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
willbird
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by willbird »

If you read the law you will see that the offense is equal to spitting in the PO, and the penalty is the same too.
Have a great day today unless you have made other plans :-).
sog711

Post by sog711 »

The UPS store is different from from the customer center. Every Customer center I've been by is posted. UPS store is a franchise offshoot of Mailboxes etc. which ups owns so they must leave the decision to the franchise owner or manager of the location.
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

No wonder the PO is in trouble, with stupid things like this. Maybe someone should send a DNPWA letter to Post Master General and tell them we will do our best to ship ALL our packages by UPS or Fed-X. See how they like that for a decrease in there over priced mailing.
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens