Collectable currency

This area is for discussions that do not fit into the formal firearms discussions of the website. Common sense and non-controversial contributions are expected. Certain topics are forbidden. See the forum rules for more details.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

cpg
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Collectable currency

Post by cpg »

I'm going though the possessions of someone who recently passed and have come across a small amount of money that was stashed away. It's a stack of red seal $2 bills, a couple 1974 Eisenhower coins, and 4 Kennedy half dollars (3 bicentennial and 1 1974). I've done some random searching on the web and watched a few videos but finding confusing & conflicting info. I'm not expecting to have a gold mine here, I just want to estate to get as much as possible if these items are worth more than face value. Is there anyone here that could guide me to some good resources so I can find out what I have? Any help will be appreciated.
People say firearm owners are compensating for something.
I am compensating for being smaller and weaker than most criminals.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Collectable currency

Post by JustaShooter »

I can't help with the red seal bills, but from what I know the coins are worth face value unless they have some unusual characteristics like double-strikes, etc. Now, were they 1964 or earlier it would be a different matter...
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
cpg
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by cpg »

Thanks. I'm coming to the conclusion that the coins are nothing special, just want to make sure I'm not overlooking something.
The red seals have been a little harder to figure out.
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

cpg wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:04 am Thanks. I'm coming to the conclusion that the coins are nothing special, just want to make sure I'm not overlooking something.
The red seals have been a little harder to figure out.
Was reading something somewhere that certain $2 bills are worth a fair amount, but I don't know which ones.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
cpg
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by cpg »

Seeing anywhere from 2 bucks to 2 grand!
But I’m not holding my breath for the high end hahaha