Trump endorsed Bernie Moreno's comments from 4 years ago on gun issues

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

M-Quigley

Trump endorsed Bernie Moreno's comments from 4 years ago on gun issues

Post by M-Quigley »

https://buckeyereporter.com/stories/654 ... ectability
"What gun do you need to have 100 bullets in it?" Moreno said during the interview with Fortify Your Data. "That doesn’t mean I’m going to take your (censored) gun away, but do you really need 100 bullets? At one time? I mean, do you have that kind of ADD? ... And by the way, are you going to eat a deer that has 100 bullets in it?"
In March 2020, he praised the actions of Gov. Mike DeWine and former health director Amy Acton, who were among the first state officials to enact COVID lockdowns.
Warning about the youtube link with the interview of Moreno, he uses profanity. Gun comments start around 45:30

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NM-CJj0Tk28&t=2730s

The interview was made 4 years ago, IDK what his position is now. I didn't see the first Senate debate, nor do I know if gun issues were ever asked during it. There is another debate coming up. He may have changed his position, IDK. For example, he once thought Trump was worse than Hitler
(that was sarcasm) but now he loves him. :roll:

https://www.cnn.com/kfile-bernie-moreno ... index.html

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald ... m-n1263886
kcclark
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Trump endorsed Bernie Moreno's comments from 4 years ago on gun issues

Post by kcclark »

I know Matt Dolan is willing to make concessions to the anti-gun crowd. Cannot say I am up on Frank LaRose's 2nd Amendment credentials.
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

I heard Matt Dolan interview yesterday on Cincinnati AM700. He saw a murky muddy pit, and added more water b4 wading in chest high IMO

Illegals, well, if they commit a felony here that's a deportation. But he stated , he travels the state and theres a shortage of workers, I believe he said nursing, factory etc. And made a direct link to, they're here working

Then finished by saying he wasn't for the illegal crossings, or reference to he wasn't for the border open as it is, now.

Forced me to look a little closer to...looking away from him as a candidate. Hopefully theres a debate or 2
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

kcclark wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 6:44 am I know Matt Dolan is willing to make concessions to the anti-gun crowd. Cannot say I am up on Frank LaRose's 2nd Amendment credentials.
LaRose got an A rating from the NRA, Dolan got a B despite pushing anti gun rights bills, and Moreno got a Aq. BFA gave LaRose a A, Dolan a D, and Moreno a Aq. The "q" means the rating is simply off the questionnaire and he doesn't have a track record of actually being pro gun or not.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

WhyNot wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 8:04 am I heard Matt Dolan interview yesterday on Cincinnati AM700. He saw a murky muddy pit, and added more water b4 wading in chest high IMO

Illegals, well, if they commit a felony here that's a deportation. But he stated , he travels the state and theres a shortage of workers, I believe he said nursing, factory etc. And made a direct link to, they're here working

Then finished by saying he wasn't for the illegal crossings, or reference to he wasn't for the border open as it is, now.

Forced me to look a little closer to...looking away from him as a candidate. Hopefully theres a debate or 2
The first debate already took place, link is below. The 2nd and final Senate debate is scheduled for March 6th, in the evening I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcxLYVmsZCI
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

ah ok thnx

forums were offline for a couple days . At least that's what I could see
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll

Yeah, I'm that good
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Regarding Moreno/s comments from 4 yrs ago, here is his response to the Larose ads. Although thi is a Fox news link, I was able to read it
without paying or signing up.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/ohio-g ... trust-guns
Moreno told Fox News Digital that he is a lifetime member of the NRA, received the highest rating a non-incumbent can receive from BFA, criticized LaRose for supporting No Labels in the past, and said it is "stupid" and "desperate" to imply that he was mocking gun owners in the 2019 interview, which he called an attempt to "fool" Ohio voters.

"The reality is I was born in Colombia, South America," Moreno, who has been endorsed by former President Donald Trump, said. "I understand exactly why we have a Second Amendment. That's not confusing to me. It's to protect from the tyranny of government and what we've seen over the last three years, especially with COVID, government overreach is exactly what happens when you have a population that's not armed."

"From my point of view, I look at my wife, we have guns in the car, guns that we carry on ourselves because we get death threats and all kinds of lunatics. So a gun that has 100 bullets, I look at it as 100 chances for my wife to survive. So I completely understand it. Frank's trying to take something that was said obviously in jest in a podcast years and years and years ago where I wasn't in public office, I wasn't somebody making public policy."]
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

Within the provided link previous post ^ (thnx M-Q!) is this video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NM-CJj0Tk28&t=2730s

Moreno kinda ''explains'' his postion. Personally, I don't need someone to label my guns in a G, PG, or R category, whereas the logical conclusion is VERY simple...

They're all R rated

HE dismissed the video comments as just in passing. I would change one vowel to an ''i''

Trying to be open eyed about it all, and, the Trump endorsement is a heavy one.
AS OF NOW, my vote is LaRose. I have yet to look at the lasy debate from 5 days ago, I have a lot of stuff to do but FYI here it is friends....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBWIq6YaeQo
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll

Yeah, I'm that good
FormerNavy

Post by FormerNavy »

As of now my vote is also Frank Larose. The Trump endorsement doesn't carry a lot of weight for me in this regard, since it is he who enacted the administrative state bump stock ban. Moreno's grade from the BFA is based off of the questionnaire... and on their website it is Larose that actually got their endorsement.
kcclark
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by kcclark »

I voted for LaRose. Unfortunately, I was one of the few. :(
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

When it comes to 2nd amendment issues any of the 3 would've been better than Brown, but from the polling so far, Brown had all of them beat in a head to head matchup by at least 5 points. The problem with the polls I've seen so far is that there was 20-25% undecided.

I have it on good authority that the anti gun and other liberal groups already had ads ready to run against all 3 before the primary was over, yet guns were not the subject of the ads. The topics are going to be Moreno's ties to Trump, supports a national abortion ban (a late term one but they won't mention that ) republicans want to cut SS and Medicare and jobs, bad for the environment, etc. Their research allegedly said that mentioning Moreno might not support gun or mag bans or universal background checks (like Brown does) is not a winning strategy in Ohio, at least with TV ads. It might be a winning strategy with targeted internet ads to specific groups.