Posted No CCW Private Business

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Glock Rock

Posted No CCW Private Business

Post by Glock Rock »

Anything new with private businesses posting “no ccw allowed” signs at entrances these days?

Still only a trespassing charge if pursued?

Thanks!
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Posted No CCW Private Business

Post by JustaShooter »

Nothing has changed - but it's more than a simple trespassing charge. It is Criminal Trespassing, an M4 with up to 30 days in jail and up to $250 fine. Depending on your job or job prospects it could be a real issue.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Glock Rock

Post by Glock Rock »

Thanks that helps.

After being discovered would being polite, asked to leave, and doing so fix this?

If property owner pursues charges, with good counsel likely plea down below criminal, especially for first offender or with not so explicit signage.
Glock Rock

Post by Glock Rock »

Glock Rock wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:11 am Thanks that helps.
Disregard.

No edit post button?
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

After being discovered would being polite, asked to leave, and doing so fix this?

If property owner pursues charges, with good counsel likely plea down below criminal, especially for first offender or with not so explicit signage.
I wouldn't want to count on that, probably better for it not to be an issue in the first place. If it's a business why spend your money at someplace who treats you like a criminal merely for wanting to be able to defend yourself from real criminals, either in the store or to and from it?

When I heard a lawyer on a BFA podcast say you can just ignore the no guns signs, that they don't have the force of law, I mentioned this to a friend of mine who is a deputy. His answer was yes, it does have the force of law in Ohio, IF it's conspicuously posted. He did agree that he didn't have any direct knowledge of anyone charged with it yet in his local area, doesn't know about some other part of Ohio. He said there are very few businesses that he's noticed that posts anyway. He did mention that he knows a city cop where the police responded to a small boutique type place with a no guns sign on the door.

The clerk was afraid to tell the guy to leave, fearing he might do something, so she called the cops, and sort of implying he might be trying to eventually rob the place to 911. IDK if she really believed that or said that to get a faster police response, but anyway, she got one. The city police arrived, checked the guy out, he didn't have a record, he said he didn't see the sign, and also claimed to not know it carried the force of law. Not a CHL holder, but the law has changed and he knew that at least. He apologized and said I'll leave. Before they let him leave though they asked the clerk if that was okay, and the clerk said yes.

Anyway, the owner of the shop was PO'd when she found out, as she wanted the guy arrested. She allegedly went to the police station demanding they arrest the guy. (this was the next day) She allegedly was wearing a Moms demand action shirt at the time. She allegedly was told sorry, can't do that now, you should've given your employee clear instructions on what to do. So the guy got lucky. As for myself I don't want to depend on luck. Unless you've got one on retainer, lawyers are expensive, even if you beat the charges entirely.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Glock Rock wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:20 am
Disregard.

No edit post button?
The Edit Post button expires after a certain amount of time, not sure how long. Except for Classifieds posts, which can't be edited after posting.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
jrmotorsports55

Post by jrmotorsports55 »

I saw a new one the other day, it said "no open carry," with the gun buster emblem. Wondering if that carries over to CCW?
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

jrmotorsports55 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:32 am I saw a new one the other day, it said "no open carry," with the gun buster emblem. Wondering if that carries over to CCW?
I don't believe so. By any chance were you at a Meijer store? That's the signage they seem to have settled on, after first posting against all carry.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

A ton of signage is sent out to businesses, along with required OSHA posters - and that tends to be why things are posted for small businesses if folks are generally agnostic about things.
http://shootingfordollars.org Where Firearms and Finances meet.

You can't truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.
-Important distinction
jrmotorsports55

Brian D. wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:57 am
jrmotorsports55 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:32 am I saw a new one the other day, it said "no open carry," with the gun buster emblem. Wondering if that carries over to CCW?
I don't believe so. By any chance were you at a Meijer store? That's the signage they seem to have settled on, after first posting against all carry.
Not a Meijer store, was a Yours Truly restaurant in Valley View.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

I see. Some establishments are uncomfortable with open carry. Now that a license is no longer required for concealed carry, it's easier to just go that route now, instead of trying to have a difficult conversation about allowing open carry too.

Well, that's my take anyhow.

********************************************************************************
jrmotorsports55

Brian D. wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:05 am I see. Some establishments are uncomfortable with open carry. Now that a license is no longer required for concealed carry, it's easier to just go that route now, instead of trying to have a difficult conversation about allowing open carry too.

Yeah, figured that is their way of saying they don't want to see things. Just something new that I had not seen previously and was not sure if it negated CCW as well.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Brian D. wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:05 am I see. Some establishments are uncomfortable with open carry. Now that a license is no longer required for concealed carry, it's easier to just go that route now, instead of trying to have a difficult conversation about allowing open carry too.

I know a manager at a big box chain type store who said the store never had a problem with holstered open carried handguns, but then someone at another location decided to open carry a rifle, and corporate didn't like that.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

M-Quigley wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 12:12 pm I know a manager at a big box chain type store who said the store never had a problem with holstered open carried handguns, but then someone at another location decided to open carry a rifle, and corporate didn't like that.
Tougher sell for us gun rights folks. We did a fair amount of long gun carry at the educational walks we held at Ohio's public universities. The reason being, they were more easily seen by the media's cameras than handguns would have been.

But we insisted the long guns be safely slung muzzles straight up or down. A few participants showed up without slings, we had to cobble some together. REALLY bad optics to just carry a rifle or shotgun in hand(s), muzzles pointed all which ways, while strolling across the quads.