Active shooting training seminar Hilliard on 3-23-24 9a to 3pm

This section is dedicated to all issues relating to training and tactics. Commercial advertisements and solicitation for your own classes are not
permitted.

Moderators: Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

M-Quigley

Active shooting training seminar Hilliard on 3-23-24 9a to 3pm

Post by M-Quigley »

Early bird reg is $69, regular is $99, from 9am-3pm on a saturday in Hilliard. The presenter is Ed Monk, and alleged expert on mass shootings.

http://events.r20.constantcontact.com/r ... qc9b175e91

There are 3 general principles most lecturers use about mass shootings, run, hide and fight, fight being the last option. In almost every other seminar the "fight" part is never mentioned with a concealed handgun. This makes sense for the presenter I guess because that person is giving a lecture to a group of people (employees of a school or business, etc) where shooting back even is an option. I thought about attending, but am unsure. Based on the general outline and description of the seminar, it sounds like he basically says that if there is a mass shooting happening in your immediate area the quickest way to stop the mass shooting as quickly as possible is to shoot back, put the "fight" part first. Although I generally agree and have been saying this for years, it makes me think if I were to hear him say just that for 6 hours, my response would be "Thank you Captain Obvious." :roll:

So whether he's an "expert" or not I'm not sure what his lecture is going to bring to the table for people who are probably already like minded on this.
Like a preacher preaching to the choir and wanting a mandatory donation of $$ for it. :( Still, there might be something else of value in the seminar that he's not hinting about in the description, and if I lived in the Columbus area I'd probably go anyway. It would be a 2 hr. drive for me though, so I have to consider that.

In the news recently, many of the high profile mass shootings have not been the lone wolf crazy person wanting to shoot a bunch of people before he/she/it is stopped by a bullet, it has been 2 gangs of people, usually juveniles, getting into an argument and shooting it out, with multiple shooters firing in multiple directions, upping the count of people injured. (Kansas city parade shootings and some others recently in the news)
IDK if he is going to address that or not. It's easy to say "shoot the bad guy" when it's one BG murdering a bunch of innocent people, it's something else for a person not in uniform to pull out a gun and try to get involved somehow, and maybe get mistaken by the responding cops as one of the BG's.

I had someone tell me recently that she has a friend who is a deputy and he said to her in regard to a mass shooting call not to have a gun in her hand when LE arrives, which I agree is good advice. He then further went on allegedly and said if he gets there and see's someone with something in their hand, anything, even if it's a cell phone, he's going to shoot and shoot everyone holding anything in their hands. :(
Heaven forbid if you are holding an acorn in your hand and drop it, he might spray the whole room with a magazine full. :roll:

While I'm not an expert or a SWAT team member, I would think that victims in a mass shooting who weren't already dead would likely be holding a cell phone, maybe talking to dispatch at the time.

In a podcast where he previewed the seminar he mentioned something about how schools and business, when dealing with a fire, have extinguishers, they don't tell their staff not to grab a extinguisher and try to put out a fire before it has time to get big. While that used to be true, it's not anymore.
Before I retired I attended my employers mandatory annual fire in service, put on by the local fire dept. chief, and we had extinguisher training, putting out a small fire outside. The last year I was there the chief said there would be no more extinguisher training, the E in the RACE acronym only stood for "evacuate". He said some study had shown that if a small fire starts it's better to do the rescue alarm contain and evacuate than for an untrained civilian to try to put out the fire themselves, better to let the trained professional deal with it when they get there. No, I'm not kidding. :(
Before I left, the place did still have extinguishers, they didn't remove them, they just didn't tell people to try to use them.

Anyway, what does anyone else think? Is this seminar something maybe worth going to for a day or not?
M-Quigley

Re: Active shooting training seminar Hilliard on 3-23-24 9a to 3pm

Post by M-Quigley »

UPDATE: cant go due to health concerns :( but almost all his advice & info is on youtube under active self protection extra ed monk. not one
long video, but broken down into sections. :) While I generally agree with his advice, I think he might be preaching to the choir, so to speak.
The people who would most benefit from listening to him are the least likely to do it. :( For example, when he suggested that if an active shooter student enters a classroom to let the other students know from administration that although fighting is almost always wrong, it's ok in this 1 case, if
it can save your life, Someone in charge of the school stopped the presentation, and after the school staff audience left the room, told him to leave.
he said our policy is no one fights at all under ANY circumstances. :( the only acceptable things at that school system is hide, run, and call 911.

i guess if 30 students or staff die while waiting for the cops to show up and stop the A.S. at least they can hold their head up and policy was followed.
this kind of stuff is why school board election sometimes matter. :(
Aesinsp
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Active shooting training seminar Hilliard on 3-23-24 9a to 3pm

Post by Aesinsp »

Similarly, in some insurance policy documents I’ve seen that resistance to armed aggression is a no-no.. no payout for resulting death there. Who is to say what will be interpreted as resistance?? the insurance Co..

I guess it’ll come down to personal decisions we each get to make at the time any type of aggression is perpetrated against people. Will I be led by my conscience? A power greater than myself? Or the stuffed shirt ‘elite’ that seem to think they know what is best for anyone and everyone..

How brainwashed will ‘we’ be at that time?

One thing is for sure, people doing the armed aggression do not want resistance. They want to succeed. Regardless, someone will not be having their expectations met. Choose wisely.

Carry-on.
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism."
Thomas Sowell, Knowledge And Decisions

Never forget and Never again, Molon labe