gun crime dropped in most cities in Ohio after permitless carry law passed, according to new study :)

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

M-Quigley

gun crime dropped in most cities in Ohio after permitless carry law passed, according to new study :)

Post by M-Quigley »

DAYTON — Two of Ohio’s eight largest cities, including Dayton, saw a rise in gun crime after the state’s “constitutional carry” law took effect, according to a new study.

Ohio became the 23rd state to allow citizens to carry a concealed weapon without a permit in June 2022

The study, published by the Center for Justice Research, showed that while crime involving guns dropped across the state’s eight largest cities as a whole, they were on the rise in two of the cities individually: Dayton and Cincinnati.

In Dayton, gun crime rates increased six percent, which is one percent more than the increase Cincinnati saw. Total crime incidents rose by eight and 13 percent for both cities.

Total crime incidents decreased in Akron, Canton, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Columbus, Parma, and Toledo.

“The key takeaway from this study is that we have to keep the pressure on the criminals who shoot people, rather than Ohioans who responsibly exercise their Second Amendment rights,” Ohio Attorney General Dave Yost said.
It does seem gun crime is increasing in those 2 cities because where I live I can get the TV news from both cities, but almost every time I hear about someone charged, they're people who can't legally own a gun anyway, so if those people are being included in the increase they shouldn't be.
James Wright told News Center 7′s Mike Campbell that he was never too concerned that crime would spike when that state allowed people without criminal records to carry guns without a CCW permit.

“I think it’s a good thing that people are allowed to carry,” he said.

Bryan Cunningham certainly hates to see any gun violence and he also joins the Attorney General in pointing out that these encouraging numbers are just what took place in the first 12 months of the new law.

“It may be too soon to tell, but sometimes these things have to play themselves out,” Cunningham said.
https://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/Fil ... Carry.aspx

https://www.whio.com/news/local/dayton- ... PIJ26Z54U/