Waffle house employee charged after shooting armed attacker

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

M-Quigley

Waffle house employee charged after shooting armed attacker

Post by M-Quigley »

And the alleged armed attacker was not charged and is currently "in the wind".

The employee had a carry license but not authorized to carry by Waffle house. I know in Ohio a claim of self defense doesn't hinge on that, as evidenced by the manager of the DG in Dayton Ohio. DG fired him but the shooting was still considered self defense. Same for a pizza delivery driver in another part of Ohio. IDK about Virginia law as far as the employer. Other W houses in the area allegedly have armed security on the graveyard shift but not this one.

The statement that the guy who came in firing first "fired into the building" is vague. Did he intentionally fire at the building or just miss someone and hit the building instead? Even if he intended to fire a shot into a wall or floor or ceiling, who can predict where the next one will go? Is the employee supposed to wait until the guy actually hits someone before shooting back?

The employee's brother claims some customers inside the building posted on social media think the employee is a hero for stopping the armed man, but
IMO if they really think that they should do more than just post on social media, they should agree to be a witness for the defense.

My CHL is supposedly good in Virginia but if I'm in a Waffle House and someone comes in shooting up the place I'm not supposed to shoot back? :roll:

https://www.foxcarolina.com/2023/12/05/ ... ting-work/
Brian D.

Re: Waffle house employee charged after shooting armed attacker

Post by Brian D. »

I had to think about what DG stood for in your post. Dollar General, right?

Another part of the story makes me wonder how Waffle House corporate decides which stores require armed security at night, versus those they believe are okey dokey without it.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

M-Quigley wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 10:27 am
My CHL is supposedly good in Virginia but if I'm in a Waffle House and someone comes in shooting up the place I'm not supposed to shoot back? :roll:
I resolved this by not going into Waffle House after they started posting.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

schmieg wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 10:57 pm
M-Quigley wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 10:27 am
I resolved this by not going into Waffle House after they started posting.
I was not aware that the WH's in Virginia posted, which I guess makes my question mute. The only Waffle houses I've been in are in eastern Tenn, and I've been in them only because sometimes some of my relatives eat there, and they're not posted. In fact, when it was in the national news about some guy with a AR who went into a WH to do a mass shooting and a customer wrestled the gun away from him, a relative of mine was saying to me (inside the local WH while we were waiting for our food) that kind of "stuff" (not actual term) wouldn't fly there, because probably half the people inside the WH at the time were packing. I told him that according to the national news that WH's corporate policy was allegedly no guns allowed and there were pictures of various WH's that had "no guns allowed" signs. He replied that he didn't know about Nashville, where the mass shooting occurred, which is on the other side of the state and politically different than where we were in a small town in eastern Tn. So I'm guessing that either

A: different Waffle houses are allowed to set their own policies on carrying, or
B: certain Waffle houses are just not following corporate policy and not posting signs, or posting them where a customer can't see them

I don't think I'd want to go into a WH in Nashville even if they did allow concealed carry. (or Nashville period for that matter :( )

It's probably not by coincidence that the Waffle house in eastern Tenn that I'm referring to that allows concealed carry has never had a mass shooting or even a armed robbery that I've heard about. :roll:
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Don't overthink it, M-Q. Signage at Waffle House varies from place to place, and seems subject to change at any time. I've seen a few signs listing prohibited items on their property, which included "weapons, illegal drugs, alcohol" and more. Those signs were on the back outside wall near the dumpster. Conspicuous to the garbage truck drivers, perhaps.

And I've seen "rules" signs inside, behind the counter. Sometimes prohibited items were listed, other times they just mentioned things like "no less than two people can sit at the tables, tipping policy on to-go orders, no use of vulgar language, whatever.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Brian D. wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 2:47 pm Don't overthink it, M-Q. Signage at Waffle House varies from place to place, and seems subject to change at any time. I've seen a few signs listing prohibited items on their property, which included "weapons, illegal drugs, alcohol" and more. Those signs were on the back outside wall near the dumpster. Conspicuous to the garbage truck drivers, perhaps.

And I've seen "rules" signs inside, behind the counter. Sometimes prohibited items were listed, other times they just mentioned things like "no less than two people can sit at the tables, tipping policy on to-go orders, no use of vulgar language, whatever.
So I guess maybe the management at various Waffle Houses just chooses to fight back against corporate by placing the no guns sign where customers can't see them? If their sign is not conspicuously posted at the front door I can't be expected to know about it.

At one time I caught a glance of a no weapons sign posted at the entrance to the kitchen of one of them. It was very hard to see from the customer area unless you were standing in one particular spot, and I assumed it might no weapons inside the kitchen. The last time I was there that sign was gone, and if they moved it IDK where they moved it to.

I have seen the "no alcohol" signs prominently posted. Anyway, not planning on eating there unless my relatives want to eat there, and they would be packing, even if I don't. Based on what a local relative told me, at least a third of the customers might be carrying, as he knows a few of them and those people carry "pants on gun on" He carries a CZ-75 in a OWB belt holster in the winter in a pancake style holster and just covers it up with a zip up sweater that he leaves open, conceals it well enough unless you're sitting directly across from him. If the waitress saw it she didn't react to it.

If someone from Nashville went to eastern Tenn to try a mass shooting at a WH there, I'm guess it might go down something similar to this, except it wouldn't be cops reacting. :roll:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vDA9CIj93c
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Brian D. wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 8:55 pm I had to think about what DG stood for in your post. Dollar General, right?

Another part of the story makes me wonder how Waffle House corporate decides which stores require armed security at night, versus those they believe are okey dokey without it.
Yeah, sorry, dollar general, or as the local miscreants used to say, "shop and rob" :(