Oregon: 20 year old sues Dicks for refusal to sell rifle

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Bruenor

Oregon: 20 year old sues Dicks for refusal to sell rifle

Post by Bruenor »

Looks like the first test case has been filed.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government ... ell-rifle/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The plaintiff, Tyler Watson, claims he faced “Unlawful Age Discrimination.”

Watson attempted to buy the rifle “on or about February 24” at a Medford, Oregon, Field and Stream store. (Field and Stream is subsidiary of Dick’s.) Watson’s suit, filed in the Circuit Court of Oregon for the County of Jackson, says a store employee refused the purchase and indicated, “He would not sell [Watson] any firearm, including rifles and shotguns, or ammunition for a firearm, because [Watson] is under 21 years old.”

The employee referenced Dick’s recent policy shift, disallowing firearm sales to anyone under 21, and cited the policy as the reason for denying the sale.

Watson’s suit alleges that Dick’s policy violates Oregon law against age-based discrimination for people 18 years and older in places of public accommodations. State law includes prohibitions against discrimination in stores that are open to the general public.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Oregon: 20 year old sues Dicks for refusal to sell rifle

Post by WY_Not »

Dupe post.

Here's hoping the plaintiffs win and win BIG. :twisted:
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

He also attempted a purchase at Wal-Mart, and is going after them also...
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

If this gains any legs expect Oregon to change its discrimination law very quickly.
docachna

Post by docachna »

This was my first thought when this all started.

Hard to say age discrimination is prohibited --- except where we agree with it.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

docachna wrote:Hard to say age discrimination is prohibited --- except where we agree with it.
Rule of law or Rule of PC/men?

This won't see a jury, right?-- so it will be up the the judge and the lawyers.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Post by evan price »

Oregon has a specific law preventing age discrimination for 18 and above where the transaction is otherwise legal.
I thought this was silly at first but now that I've read the Oregon law it's almost a guaranteed win.
"20% accurate as usual, Morty."

Striking down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering!
Carpe Noctem- we get more done after 2 am than most people do all day.
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

evan price wrote:Oregon has a specific law preventing age discrimination for 18 and above where the transaction is otherwise legal.
I thought this was silly at first but now that I've read the Oregon law it's almost a guaranteed win.
Just like the Colorado baker. They happened to live in a state that prohibits sexual orientation discrimination.

Unfortunately, if this case does make it large, I'm not sure how it would affect a state like Ohio where we have no age discrimination.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
cashman966
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by cashman966 »

JediSkipdogg wrote:
evan price wrote:Oregon has a specific law preventing age discrimination for 18 and above where the transaction is otherwise legal.
Just like the Colorado baker. They happened to live in a state that prohibits sexual orientation discrimination.

Unfortunately, if this case does make it large, I'm not sure how it would affect a state like Ohio where we have no age discrimination.
Actually Ohio does have an age discrimination law

4112.02 Unlawful discriminatory practices.
It shall be an unlawful discriminatory practice:

(G) For any proprietor or any employee, keeper, or manager of a place of public accommodation to deny to any person, except for reasons applicable alike to all persons regardless of race, color, religion, sex, military status, national origin, disability, age, or ancestry, the full enjoyment of the accommodations, advantages, facilities, or privileges of the place of public accommodation.
Ignorant or Stupid, I'm not sure which is worse. If someone were stupid, at least they'd have an excuse for all the dumb things they say.

Pass the Peace Pipe I need another hit

IANAL and neither are most people on this board, its just shows more with some than others.
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

cashman966 wrote:
JediSkipdogg wrote:

Actually Ohio does have an age discrimination law

4112.02 Unlawful discriminatory practices.
It shall be an unlawful discriminatory practice:

(G) For any proprietor or any employee, keeper, or manager of a place of public accommodation to deny to any person, except for reasons applicable alike to all persons regardless of race, color, religion, sex, military status, national origin, disability, age, or ancestry, the full enjoyment of the accommodations, advantages, facilities, or privileges of the place of public accommodation.
Interesting and good find. Was looking at a website that showed all states with age discrimination laws and Ohio wasn't on their list.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

So...

Ohio has an age discrimination statute. Who has an 18, 19, or 20 year old that needs to go buy a new rifle or shotgun. :mrgreen:
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

Tyler Watson, a 20-year-old Oregonian, settled his age discrimination lawsuit last month against Dick’s Sporting Goods. In February, the retailer changed its firearms policy, raising the minimum age to buy a gun to 21.

Soon after the change, Watson attempted to by a .22 caliber Ruger rifle and was turned away.

SNIP

Earlier this week, Forbes reported that Dick’s is considering removing all hunting gear from its stores, and has already done so in 10 pilot stores.

Walmart also raised the minimum age to buy a firearm and Watson has a similar lawsuit pending against them.

That trial is scheduled to start in January 2019.

Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

Sure wish the settlement agreement wasn't sealed.. would sure like to know what he settled for. Obviously Dicks isn't admitting to doing anything wrong, or changing their ways.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson