Moving back to Ohio

If you have questions or know the answers to questions about the application and renewal process this forum is for you. Post your experiences or ask your new applicant questions here.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Moving back to Ohio

Post by WestonDon »

I have a relative who took the certification course way back when it looked like CC was imminent in Ohio. 2004? Before CC became reality in Ohio he moved to Florida and used that certification to obtain a Florida CC license. He has a current Florida license. He has now moved back to Ohio and wishes to obtain an Ohio CHL. He is quite elderly now so I am helping him with the transition back to Ohio. I know that the certification does not expire for renewals but now I see that according to ORC 2923.125(B)(3) the certificate is only good for 3 years for the purpose of obtaining a new CHL. So I am thinking his Florida license is worth squat to an Ohio sheriff (Miami County) and he will have to retake the certification course. I think that may be a problem because of his advanced age, yet I am not at all concerned about him being a danger to anyone other some thug wanting to harm an old man. At this stage of life he is no longer a guard dog but more of an old porch dog with teeth.

All advice from the learned minds on this board is greatly appreciated.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Moving back to Ohio

Post by JustaShooter »

To get an Ohio license he will need to take a new Ohio class. However, there is no reason he cannot carry on an FL license, and keep renewing his FL license instead of getting his Ohio license since Ohio has a reciprocal agreement with FL.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

JustaShooter wrote:To get an Ohio license he will need to take a new Ohio class. However, there is no reason he cannot carry on an FL license, and keep renewing his FL license instead of getting his Ohio license since Ohio has a reciprocal agreement with FL.
Isn't that only good for 6 months after becoming an Ohio resident?
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

pirateguy191 wrote:
JustaShooter wrote:To get an Ohio license he will need to take a new Ohio class. However, there is no reason he cannot carry on an FL license, and keep renewing his FL license instead of getting his Ohio license since Ohio has a reciprocal agreement with FL.
Isn't that only good for 6 months after becoming an Ohio resident?
For states we don't have a written reciprocity agreement, correct (see B 1 below). For states like FL where we do have a written reciprocity agreement, there is no time limit (see B 2 below).

ORC 109.69 Reciprocity agreement.
http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/109.69" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(B)

(1) If, on or after the effective date of this amendment, a person who is a resident of this state has a valid concealed handgun license that was issued by another license-issuing state that has entered into a reciprocity agreement with the attorney general under division (A)(1) of this section or the attorney general determines that the eligibility requirements imposed by that license-issuing state for that license are substantially comparable to the eligibility requirements for a concealed handgun license issued under section 2923.125 of the Revised Code, the license issued by the other license-issuing state shall be recognized in this state, shall be accepted and valid in this state, and grants the person the same right to carry a concealed handgun in this state as a person who was issued a concealed handgun license under section 2923.125 of the Revised Code.

(2) If, on or after the effective date of this amendment, a person who is a resident of this state has a valid concealed handgun license that was issued by another license-issuing state that has not entered into a reciprocity agreement with the attorney general under division (A)(1) of this section, the license issued by the other license-issuing state shall be recognized in this state, shall be accepted and valid in this state, and grants the person the same right to carry a concealed handgun in this state as a person who was issued a concealed handgun license under section 2923.125 of the Revised Code for a period of six months after the person became a resident of this state. After that six-month period, if the person wishes to obtain a concealed handgun license, the person shall apply for a concealed handgun license pursuant to section 2923.125 of the Revised Code.
NRA Life Member

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Jim-in-Toledo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Jim-in-Toledo »

One other thing he may want to think about, since Michigan is not far away.
If he goes to Michigan, his Florida license will NOT be recognized since he is not a resident of Florida.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
Robert Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
I am the expert on my opinion.
And no one else's.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Good point, Jim. Thanks for bringing that up - reciprocity is very different for a non-resident Florida license than it is for a resident Ohio license. PA also does not recognize a non-resident FL license.
NRA Life Member

WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

Thanks for the information guys. It's a big help. I don't anticipate he'll be going to MI or PA. He'll probably just go with renewing the FL license by mail.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member