OHIO CHL BACKGROUND CHECK

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Greenbean

OHIO CHL BACKGROUND CHECK

Post by Greenbean »

I have a criminal background, took my 8hr required CHL course and did my background check for licensing but i am unsure if I will be eligible because I’ve been delayed before at a local gun show.

My criminal record looks like this:
Disorderly Conduct 2917-11-ORCN (5-13-2014)
Public Indecency 2907-09A ORCN (10-17-16)
& a Minor Misdemeanor Marijuana ticket in 2017

Do I No longer have gun ownership rights and am I still eligible for a Ohio CHL?
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: OHIO CHL BACKGROUND CHECK

Post by JustaShooter »

None of the offenses you list would disqualify you from getting your Ohio CHL.

The requirements for the license are at http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2923.125" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; if you want to review them.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

The only questionable one I see is what did the Disorderly Conduct stem from? Was it a DV pled down to a DC? If so, that can still be a disqualifier. But if you have only been delayed, then I wouldn't worry too much about it.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
Greenbean

Post by Greenbean »

Disorderly Conduct was a Minor Misdemeanor as well. Long story short My neighbors wanted me to take my dog inside because she was a Pitbull, and she didn’t feel comfortable walking her dog while a Pitbull was near. My dog was leashed and on my property. She called police, Cop then drew gun on and demanded that I take my dog in the house which I did. Once I came back outside he asked for my social and name, I simply replied “ am I being detained” he didn’t like the fact that I answered his question with my own question and told me I was under arrest for being a “smartass” went to court and was charged with disorderly Conduct.
Greenbean

Post by Greenbean »

THAnks guys, just ordered a Kimber Pro Carry II and just hoping that when it ships to my FFL that I am able to continue the transaction. Was just worried due to being delayed at my local gunshow. I can tell you that I am a “Jr” me and my father has the same name and I beleive he had a felony, and some DV’s years ago. If that effects my background check , who knows?! Just couldn’t get over why I was even delayed in the first place with no DV’s, No felonies, No warrants, and one minor misdemeanor weed ticket over a year ago.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Greenbean wrote:I can tell you that I am a “Jr” me and my father has the same name and I beleive he had a felony, and some DV’s years ago. If that effects my background check , who knows?! Just couldn’t get over why I was even delayed in the first place with no DV’s, No felonies, No warrants, and one minor misdemeanor weed ticket over a year ago.
That is likely why you've been delayed before. They were just making sure you weren't the one with a felony.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
ShawnK1017

Post by ShawnK1017 »

I've been delayed also and my background check is roughly the same disorderlies and an old pot ticket. All of my delays except one have went to proceed after about a day and a half. I've only been Brady dated once. From what I gather NICS has been backed up like crazy since the pandemic and all the new owners so I was told that was a big part of it. I do wonder though if part of it doesn't have to do with my family also. I'm not a junior or anything like that but I have alot of "family" with the same last name and a few of em have my middle name for a first name. I put it in quotes because most of em are so distantly related we technically have no blood relation, in fact I never even met most of em but I know their reputations and there's no way they don't have felonies.