Ohio rep supports Madison schools plan to arm teachers

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

M-Quigley

Ohio rep supports Madison schools plan to arm teachers

Post by M-Quigley »

https://www.whio.com/news/butler-county ... SBIDJJc4I/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MADISON TWP. — Ohio Rep. Candice Keller, R-Middletown, stands by Madison Schools’ plan to arm certain school staff as a way to enhance school security.

She released a statement of support a day after a handful of residents at Madison’s regular board meeting on Monday expressed their frustration with that plan.

“This new firearm policy will do the utmost to protect our students and those who work inside Madison Local Schools,” Keller wrote in a letter to David French, president of the Madison school board.

Keller has been an ardent supporter of gun rights and was critical about students-turned-activists in the aftermath of the Parkland, Fla., school shooting who called for stricter gun control laws.

“There are over 600,000 law-abiding citizens who carry in the state of Ohio,” Keller wrote. “They are everywhere, walking among us, protecting both themselves and those around them by their responsible decision to conceal carry. If Madison teachers wish to be among that number, they should be permitted to do so.”

She also said those supporting gun control laws are “anti-gun special interest groups” and “are not representative of the population of Madison Twp.”

“Demanding that teachers be denied their constitutional right to protect themselves, and their students, is outside the domain of authority of those who do not live and work inside the district,” she wrote.
While most at Monday’s meeting opposed the Madison school board’s actions, there was a divided audience at a special meeting on Friday.

Some, like parent Sandra Ison, said arming teachers and staff has the potential to create “more danger than it does safety.” However, supporters of the plan, like Scott Propps, said having a few staff and teachers with quick access to a handgun “won’t make the school such a soft target.”

Keller asked French and the school board to “remain unwavering” on their plan.
Regarding the bolded part, every time I hear this kind of stuff, I'd love to ask them "How?" How can specialized training (like FASTER for example) and arming teachers create more danger than someone coming into a school intending to kill 10, 20 30, or as many as they can? What kind of convoluted logic does it take to make a statement like that?

Even in the very unlikely event an innocent victim is unintentionally shot by an armed teacher while the teacher is attempting to shoot the mass murderer, it is still infinitely better to stop the threat as soon as possible, and get EMS into the scene sooner.
SMMAssociates

Re: Ohio rep supports Madison schools plan to arm teachers

Post by SMMAssociates »

M-Quigley wrote: Quoting Ms. Keller - "She also said those supporting gun control laws are “anti-gun special interest groups” and “are not representative of the population of Madison Twp.”
These "students" are mostly bought & paid for by Soros and Bloomberg. They are not likely even Ohio residents, let alone Madison Twp. Do we really want "outsiders" dictating our policies, laws, etc.?

(Soros probably isn't an US citizen, either....)

While we're about it, some of those "lock it up" storage requirements are just a help to the BGs. Let licensees carry. Remember the Luby's in TX where the gal's gun was legally stored in her car....

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
kcclark
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by kcclark »

M-Quigley wrote: Regarding the bolded part, every time I hear this kind of stuff, I'd love to ask them "How?" How can specialized training (like FASTER for example) and arming teachers create more danger than someone coming into a school intending to kill 10, 20 30, or as many as they can? What kind of convoluted logic does it take to make a statement like that?
One of my Facebook friends is one of the parents trying to stop the arming of teachers there. They are using stats that show if the teachers are armed, there is a much greater chance of a gun-related accident happening than there is having another school shooter. "The stats are clear in this case." I mentioned the district that uses the gun safes instead of the teachers actually carrying but he did not respond to that. He wouldn't want to discuss something that muddies his stats.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

kcclark wrote:
M-Quigley wrote: Regarding the bolded part, every time I hear this kind of stuff, I'd love to ask them "How?" How can specialized training (like FASTER for example) and arming teachers create more danger than someone coming into a school intending to kill 10, 20 30, or as many as they can? What kind of convoluted logic does it take to make a statement like that?
One of my Facebook friends is one of the parents trying to stop the arming of teachers there. They are using stats that show if the teachers are armed, there is a much greater chance of a gun-related accident happening than there is having another school shooter. "The stats are clear in this case." I mentioned the district that uses the gun safes instead of the teachers actually carrying but he did not respond to that. He wouldn't want to discuss something that muddies his stats.
Even if that stat (regarding carrying) is true, here's an interesting statistical question. How many of those accidents has resulted in a students or teachers serious injury or death, (my guess is at or near zero) as opposed to the # of students and staff that have died or permanantly injured as a result of mass murderers who were not confronted with armed resistance quickly?
kcclark
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by kcclark »

M-Quigley wrote: Even if that stat (regarding carrying) is true, here's an interesting statistical question. How many of those accidents has resulted in a students or teachers serious injury or death, (my guess is at or near zero) as opposed to the # of students and staff that have died or permanantly injured as a result of mass murderers who were not confronted with armed resistance quickly?
I thought about that too and I figure you're correct but good luck coming up with the stats. Who qualifies as a "mass murderer" is up for debate from the get go.

There was some ridiculous mass shooting meme that was out within the last couple weeks. It made an obviously false claim about mass shootings but to shoot it down, I first had to figure out what definition of "mass shootings" it was using.