TX Mom shoots carjacker

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Bruenor

TX Mom shoots carjacker

Post by Bruenor »

Good ending.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/07/05/te ... im-up.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Michelle Booker-Hicks was at the Shell station along Interstate 35 around 10 p.m. Wednesday when Ricky Wright, 36, attempted to steal her vehicle while she was paying her gas bill, police said. Booker-Hicks told FOX4 Dallas her two sons, ages 2 and 4, were sitting in the backseat at the time.

“I proceeded to jump in my backseat and told the gentleman to stop, to get out the car. He would not get out of the car. He turned around and looked at me. I reached over the armrest to get my glove compartment and that’s when I fired at him once I got the gun from my glove compartment,”

Booker-Hicks shot Wright in the face while he was allegedly trying to drive away. He crashed the vehicle into the fence.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
qmti
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: TX Mom shoots carjacker

Post by qmti »

I read a initial article with more detail that she stated that she "should have unloaded the clip on him" on him. (yeah, I know it's suppose to be magazine). I tend to agree with that assessment of what she should have done. Later articles of the incident is omitting this statement, I wonder why.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

qmti wrote:I read a initial article with more detail that she stated that she "should have unloaded the clip on him" on him. (yeah, I know it's suppose to be magazine). I tend to agree with that assessment of what she should have done. Later articles of the incident is omitting this statement, I wonder why.
I certainly understand the sentiment, but as far as actually doing that, I respecfully disagree, for a couple of reasons. First is legally it's not a good idea to shoot any more than you have to in order to stop the situation. Even if she wouldn't have been indicted or convicted, there's always the civil arena to potentially consider.

The second reason is a tactical consideration. If you unnecessarily run your handgun dry on one person, and that person has friends accomplices, etc nearby you're at a disadvantage should they decide to attack. Now most of the time accomplices to a criminal hit the road when the shooting starts (and then post on social media how unjustified the shooting was :roll: ) You can't however count on that all the time, particularly if they witness you running your gun dry.

This part is a little concerning.
Booker-Hicks told FOX4 Dallas her two sons, ages 2 and 4, were sitting in the backseat at the time.

“I proceeded to jump in my backseat and told the gentleman to stop, to get out the car. He would not get out of the car. He turned around and looked at me. I reached over the armrest to get my glove compartment and that’s when I fired at him once I got the gun from my glove compartment,”
I understand the convenience of consoles, particularly if you don't have kids in the back seat, but there is a potential issue if they are inside. Many kids that age tend to get into stuff they're not supposed to when there is no adult supervision the car. I recall back when a couple of great grandkids were 2 and 4, and my wife and I got out of the car at a gas station. She went inside and I was just outside the car. Next thing I know, I see the 4 year old unbuckling herself to get into the console. When I asked her what she was doing, she said she thought some candy was in there. Fortunately my wife did not have a gun in the console that day, but had it with her instead.

As far as the shooting itself, she allegedly gave him a chance to get out, and he chose not to take the opportunity. As Dr Phil says,
"If you choose the behavior, you choose the consequences."
qmti
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by qmti »

I respectfully agree with your assessment M-Q. You fire until the threat is over which I she did. I just kinda like her "clip" statement.
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

And the carjacker was no "gentleman". :roll:
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

A solid case for "thinking of the children".
Women and children were the beneficiaries of "gun violence" in this instance. Is "gun violence" universally to be denounced? What if this mother didn't have a gun? Kids get trafficked or dumped roadside? And for what, Disarmament?

Nobody desires this situation. This is not a happy thing. But what she had control over, she handled, because she understands that she can use a tool to defend her family. She didn't fear the tool, or the moment. She was simply ready.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
Gramps
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Gramps »

She didn't fear the tool, or the moment. She was simply ready.
I like the way you stated the obvious.
Gramps

Follower of Christ. Love and protect my wife, kids and grand kids..

* TRUMP 2020 *
> No Masks On This Face | All Lives Matter | It's Okay To Be White <
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

M-Quigley wrote: I understand the convenience of consoles, particularly if you don't have kids in the back seat, but there is a potential issue if they are inside. Many kids that age tend to get into stuff they're not supposed to when there is no adult supervision the car. I recall back when a couple of great grandkids were 2 and 4, and my wife and I got out of the car at a gas station. She went inside and I was just outside the car. Next thing I know, I see the 4 year old unbuckling herself to get into the console. When I asked her what she was doing, she said she thought some candy was in there. Fortunately my wife did not have a gun in the console that day, but had it with her instead.
Agreed.

There's all too many cases of children - of all ages, from toddlers to teens - accessing the firearm that's stored in the vehicle's unsecured center console, passenger-side glovebox, or door cubby, only to hurt themselves, their sibling, or another innocent that's in the vehicle at the time.

I used to own a Subaru B9/Tribeca. The vehicle's ignition key is the same as the same as the one that locks/unlocks the glovebox. If the vehicle was turned on, unless the mother has another key with her, logic would suggest that the glovebox was then unlocked, and the firearm not truly secured.

Additionally, I think the mother's awfully lucky to have been able to reach the stored firearm.

I'll take luck over skill any day, but being lucky and hoping for the best really aren't valid plans: we've seen several recent incidents in which, as with adf8585's fight, the defender was able to access the stored handgun (http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php? ... it=adf8585" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - from the trunk, no less!!!), but this is a huge, huge risk.

Having a gun is always better than not having one, but in both of these cases, events could easily have unfolded in a manner that would not have been favorable to the defenders because they had to retrieve their guns from remote locations.
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio